Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #5,131 of 8,735
Quote:
You are referring to the plates, there are two smaller rectange pieces on opposite sides of the plates, that run from the top to bottom of the mica(thin metal horizontal circle). These are the sheilds and are commonly a chrome/silver color, if it matches the color of the plates(grey) that indicates its an older tube.

Mica is mica.  
smile_phones.gif
  (not metal, which would be electrically conductive, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #5,133 of 8,735
Quote:
@HK .... like your new avatar .... is that new direct to space and back again vehicle?

No, that's the HL-10 lifting body that was used for testing in the 70's to help determine the best design for the space shuttle.  If you ever watched "The Six Million Dollar Man", that's the vehicle he "supposedly" had the crash in (although the only actual lifting body to crash was the M2-F3...the film of which was used in the opeining credits to represent Steve Austin's crash).  The good news is the pilot of the M2-F3 escaped with only minor injuries.

Lord Soth - how do the Lorenz CCa tubes compare to the 3-mica?  I wish someone could find another stash...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #5,134 of 8,735
Quote:

Mica is mica.  
smile_phones.gif
  (not metal, which would be electrically conductive, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica

True!  However, I have seen some references and some tube sellers call the Siemen's tubes "tri-mica" even when there was just the two mica layers and the metal plate.  I really don't know why though...but they do seem to sound different from the "two mica" versions.

Just my observations...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,135 of 8,735
Quote:
True!  However, I have seen some references and some tube sellers call the Siemen's tubes "tri-mica" even when there was just the two mica layers and the metal plate.  I really don't know why though...but they do seem to sound different from the "two mica" versions.

Just my observations...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

If they are describing a tube with a metal plate as a third mica then it is just the lack of knowledge that was common to tube users when tubes were standard in everything that required them vs solid state. I was a radioman in the navy and all equipment except a couple of pieces had tubes. Just because someone sells tubes, even a lot of them, doesn't mean they really know tubes. I used to talk with a designer of the RCA tubes who had patents through RCA. It was a joy talking with him about circuits. It is a language but starts with correct understanding of the properties of tubes and goes from there. They are just a plug in circuit, which is what makes them fun, you can easily change the circuit, within certain parameters of course.

Jan 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #5,136 of 8,735
Quote:
If they are describing a tube with a metal plate as a third mica then it is just the lack of knowledge that was common to tube users when tubes were standard in everything that required them vs solid state. I was a radioman in the navy and all equipment except a couple of pieces had tubes. Just because someone sells tubes, even a lot of them, doesn't mean they really know tubes. I used to talk with a designer of the RCA tubes who had patents through RCA. It was a joy talking with him about circuits. It is a language but starts with correct understanding of the properties of tubes and goes from there. They are just a plug in circuit, which is what makes them fun, you can easily change the circuit, within certain parameters of course.

I agree it's probably due to lack of knowledge (it definitely is on my part).  All I can say is the top disk in the Lorenz 3-mica tubes looked like mica.  Anytime I looked at a Siemens tube that was advertised as a "tri-mica", I could only count two.  So maybe I'm not (so) crazy after all. 
wink_face.gif
  Then again...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #5,138 of 8,735
Quote:
No, that's the HL-10 lifting body that was used for testing in the 70's to help determine the best design for the space shuttle.  If you ever watched "The Six Million Dollar Man", that's the vehicle he .............

Lord Soth - how do the Lorenz CCa tubes compare to the 3-mica?  I wish someone could find another stash...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hi HK,

Your new avatar is really Retro "cool" and groovy in an Austin Powers kind of way! :)

I really lucked out on the Lorenz CCa "3 Mica" via EBay.
Won the pair for less than US$90.

As for the sonics, it will take some time before I can provide any input.
I prefer to burn them in for at least 100 hrs so as to level the playing field for a sonic comparison.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #5,139 of 8,735
Quote:
I agree it's probably due to lack of knowledge (it definitely is on my part).  All I can say is the top disk in the Lorenz 3-mica tubes looked like mica.  Anytime I looked at a Siemens tube that was advertised as a "tri-mica", I could only count two.  So maybe I'm not (so) crazy after all. 
wink_face.gif
  Then again...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yes, I agree that strictly speaking the Lorenz 3 mica is a 2 mica with an extra plastic ( i think) top disc.

however the "3 mica" name has kinda become deeply entrenched in the minds of most Lorenz Stuttgart tube fans.
So we kinda know which variant we are referring when we mention either "2 Mica" or "3 Mica" Lorenz tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back