Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #5,101 of 8,735
Sounds interesting, I need some time to sell the valhalla.  I can't just sell it right away...sad news for the valhalla, love this amp.:frowning2:

audio advisors.com. Has a very liberal return policy.
You could order one and try it for a week and return it if you like your Valhalla better.

Another thought sometimes the sellers have "refurbished" gear for less. Such as product that was returned after as short while.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #5,102 of 8,735
Quote:
Let me help you rationalize this.

Lyr:  $450
Valhalla $350

Difference:  $100
Estimated loss from selling used Valhalla $100
Total difference: $200

You were bidding on tubes at $120
Cost requiring rationalization:  $80

Fantastic ..... please provide rationalization for my quitting my job and becoming a professional audiophile.  Feel free to make up your own supporting documentation.

Jan 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #5,103 of 8,735
Man...i feel awful...buy another amp making me sick...
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #5,104 of 8,735
Quote:
Man...i feel awful...buy another amp making me sick...
frown.gif

I didn't apply the burger-flick effect.

If you stay home and listen to your new Lyr, rather than grab a burger and see a movie, you've actually made $25

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #5,107 of 8,735
Quote:

Stay off the forum and listen to some music. Think about it.

this is good advice, while i am very happy with the Lyr i think the HD650s sound good on a wide range of tube amps.  Many people own and enjoy the Valhalla, maybe look into some more reasonably priced tubes to roll in it instead of going for very expensive ones.  This forum is rediculous about talking people into upgrading.  Not everyone is Bill Gates.  Hell i bet even Warren Buffet (assuming he were an audiophile) wouldn't spend more than $100 on a pair of tubes and that guy is a billionaire.  I think he's worn the same tie for 10+yrs!  :p

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #5,108 of 8,735
Quote:
iam it maybe more than novelty, member lord soth likes them more than lorenz Stuttgarts, he even had the nearly impossible to find lorenz cca. Haven't seen him on the thread in a minute,but if he sees this maybe he can expand on the benefits of the old amperex.

Yes, I posted a Lorenz Stuttgart review over here sometime back.

The pinched waist Amperex is really the best sounding tube as per Joe's tube lore.
It sounds better than the Lorenz PCC88 in the mids and treble.
However the pinched waist loses out to the Lorenz tube on the visceral impact at the low end, I.e. bass.
The sound stage is also larger for the Lorenz tube.

The normal Amperex which I also have has about 90% of the sonics of the pinched waist.

The law of diminishing returns really applies here.
$$$$ wise, I would be happy with only the normal Amperex tubes.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #5,109 of 8,735
Quote:

Yes, I posted a Lorenz Stuttgart review over here sometime back.

The pinched waist Amperex is really the best sounding tube as per Joe's tube lore.
It sounds better than the Lorenz PCC88 in the mids and treble.
However the pinched waist loses out to the Lorenz tube on the visceral impact at the low end, I.e. bass.
The sound stage is also larger for the Lorenz tube.

The normal Amperex which I also have has about 90% of the sonics of the pinched waist.

The law of diminishing returns really applies here.
$$$$ wise, I would be happy with only the normal Amperex tubes.

Great advice!  Lord Soth really knows his tubes which is why he's a "Lord" and I am a "City"...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Just kidding about the name thing...
wink_face.gif
  "HK" is derived from my name and "Heckler and Koch"...no, really
biggrin.gif

Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #5,110 of 8,735
Some of the problems with the expensive pinched waste is they can go noisy, and for the price, this is not fun.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #5,111 of 8,735
Quote:
Great advice!  Lord Soth really knows his tubes which is why he's a "Lord" and I am a "City"...
very_evil_smiley.gif

wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Is you son's name Sig?

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #5,115 of 8,735
Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Considering how much I spent on those "Christmas Ornaments", my "lordship" will have to be put on sale soon. :wink:

BTW, it's great to catchup again with the usual tube loving folks such as HK Sends  and DailydoseofDaly..... Etc.
beerchug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back