Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #2,582 of 8,735
Quote:
Has anyone here tried the various Cca, e188cc, e88cc types of a particular maker?  How big are the differences, night and day or merely subtle.

Joe's Tube lore is pretty accurate for Siemens and Amperex/Philips.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

The only thing I disagree with him is his assessment of the Telefunken and Valvo line of tubes.
Telefunkens and Valvos (from Hamburg Germany) are not as bad sounding as he makes it out to be.
There is a sonic difference between the different tube types (e.g. Grey Plate vs Silver Plate) and vintage (e.g. "D" vs "O" getter, double getter support vs single stem getter etc..).

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,583 of 8,735
Going back to the LYR from a solid state setup, it's so funny to open the package and see what you paid for in tubes.  These miniature things no bigger than a thumb being so costly..  Shocks me everytime but I sure do love the glow and so too do the stink bugs.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,584 of 8,735
hi guys, tubenoob here.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NOS-MULLARD-CV4010-VALVE-EF95-M8100-6AK5-5654-Tubes-/290609438068?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43a9ac1d74#ht_2840wt_754

i have a pair of the above, a friend recommended it for my littledot mk3, works fine.

can i use them on the LYR???
confused.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,585 of 8,735
Quote:
hi guys, tubenoob here.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NOS-MULLARD-CV4010-VALVE-EF95-M8100-6AK5-5654-Tubes-/290609438068?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43a9ac1d74#ht_2840wt_754

i have a pair of the above, a friend recommended it for my littledot mk3, works fine.

can i use them on the LYR???
confused.gif

Sorry, but they aren't compatible with the Lyr (I had them in my Little Dot MK IV).  You need to find some of the following: 6922 / E88CC / 7308 / CV2492 / CV2493 / ECC88 / PCC88 / E188CC / CV4108 / CV4109 / 6BZ7 / 6DJ8 and couple others I may be missing (like the Russian 6N23P and 6N1P).

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2,586 of 8,735
thank u F-15 pilot :p
much appreciate your info!!

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2,590 of 8,735
I've been neglecting my Lyr-Lcds in favour of a tubey T1 combo for far too long. But I recently made some modifications to the headband on the LCDs and they are now substantially more comfortable to wear for longer periods.

However... I'm finding the music feels a bit lifeless - not enough sparkle were there should be, not enough immediacy, it feels a bit muted. I'm feeding it with a Xonar STX and actually prefer the sound out of the headphone jack on the sound card to the Lyr at the moment. I know I probably need a desktop DAC but I'm waiting till I find one that will be an objective and noticeable improvement over the STX and Squeezebox options I currently have. I want to see what the Schiit lads come up with and then maybe grab a Bifrost if I can't talk myself into the higher end stuff.

The amp is still using the stock 6BZ7 tubes it shipped with. Can anyone recommend a pair of tubes to bring at bit more life to the party? Would prefer something that can be had without too much difficulty (I hate tube hunting on ebay and forsale forums).

Cheers

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2,591 of 8,735
So, which tubes should I choose for the Lyr when I buy it from Schiit?

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2,592 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been neglecting my Lyr-Lcds in favour of a tubey T1 combo for far too long. But I recently made some modifications to the headband on the LCDs and they are now substantially more comfortable to wear for longer periods.
However... I'm finding the music feels a bit lifeless - not enough sparkle were there should be, not enough immediacy, it feels a bit muted. I'm feeding it with a Xonar STX and actually prefer the sound out of the headphone jack on the sound card to the Lyr at the moment. I know I probably need a desktop DAC but I'm waiting till I find one that will be an objective and noticeable improvement over the STX and Squeezebox options I currently have. I want to see what the Schiit lads come up with and then maybe grab a Bifrost if I can't talk myself into the higher end stuff.
The amp is still using the stock 6BZ7 tubes it shipped with. Can anyone recommend a pair of tubes to bring at bit more life to the party? Would prefer something that can be had without too much difficulty (I hate tube hunting on ebay and forsale forums).
Cheers

Give these a try:

http://www.tubemonger.com/Matsu****a_Japan_6922_E88CC_Mullard_Tooling_NOS_p/591.htm

or these (some burn-in required):

http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm

Both reasonably priced and should offer a somewhat livelier sound than the 6BZ7s.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,593 of 8,735
Brilliant.

The Matsu****as look the business. I'll give them a try. Going to check out what else they list as "best buy" while I'm there too.

Thanks for quick, helpful response!

Cheers

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,595 of 8,735
You are quite welcome.  Be aware, the premium tubes go for an arm and a leg...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I'll manage to keep some self restraint. Truthfully I'm still smitten with the Wa2-T1 lusciousness, I just want to be able to listen to these guys too without feeling a bit blah for the first 1/2 hour. Besides, gotta save up for the goût du jour à la iBasso.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back