Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jun 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2,266 of 2,392
Quote:

I'm looking into a Lyr for my HD 650s so I can then drive the planar magnetics (HiFiMan or Audeze) when I eventually upgrade.  Question:  Will the Lyr blow up my HD 650s if I have them plugged in when I turn on the amp?

No, it won't, but you should always have the volume turned down to 0 as safe common practice.

Jun 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #2,267 of 2,392
The Lyr + LCD-2 was quite a good pairing.  Lyr drives most orthos with authority, excellent dynamics and soundstage.  Lively presentation.  Myself and others specifically sought out the Lyr when it was first released to feed the power hungry orthos.  Never got to try the HE-500 with the Lyr though.   

BTW, the IE8 is a very efficient earphone.  I wouldn't necessary want to plug it in the Lyr.  The RE-262 is fairly inefficient, it was born and raised to be paired with amps.  

Okiedokie. Thanks!

That said, do remember trying out the IE8s with tube amps whose names I've now forgotten. They were good stuff.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #2,269 of 2,392
Just as a further clarifying suggestion. Turn the volume to zero, turn on the Lyr and then plug in your cans. This should be used for all amps just for safety. For turning off...volume to zero, unplug cans and then power off amp.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,270 of 2,392
Quote:
Just as a further clarifying suggestion. Turn the volume to zero, turn on the Lyr and then plug in your cans. This should be used for all amps just for safety. For turning off...volume to zero, unplug cans and then power off amp.

If this is realistically expected, I won't be buying a Lyr.  The E9 is just fine and won't blow out my headphones when I turn it on with the headphones intact.

This may seem like a meaningless sacrifice for most, but I have ADHD and I WON'T remember to take them out.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2,271 of 2,392
Quote:
If this is realistically expected, I won't be buying a Lyr.  The E9 is just fine and won't blow out my headphones when I turn it on with the headphones intact.

This may seem like a meaningless sacrifice for most, but I have ADHD and I WON'T remember to take them out.

This is realistically expected of any headphone amplifier. Hence the "this is safe common practice."

Now you don't have to do this with the Lyr regardless of the headphone.
But we suspect you're sensible. Now just remember when you do not ever unplug your headphones, 
when turning on/off Lyr to keep the volume at 0. Sure, you'll still get the really nasty pop in your headphones. But they may survive. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2,272 of 2,392
Quote:
This is realistically expected of any headphone amplifier. Hence the "this is safe common practice."

Now you don't have to do this with the Lyr regardless of the headphone.
But we suspect you're sensible. Now just remember when you do not ever unplug your headphones, 
when turning on/off Lyr to keep the volume at 0. Sure, you'll still get the really nasty pop in your headphones. But they may survive. 

I can remember to turn the volume to zero.  Also, it might be something I can work into a ritual with a tube amp.  I never turn my SS amp off because I'm not worried about tube life or power draw.  Maybe if I had to turn it on and off, I'd be able to remember to unplug the headphones.  I don't know....I know me and it makes me a little worried.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2,273 of 2,392
Quote:
I can remember to turn the volume to zero.  Also, it might be something I can work into a ritual with a tube amp.  I never turn my SS amp off because I'm not worried about tube life or power draw.  Maybe if I had to turn it on and off, I'd be able to remember to unplug the headphones.  I don't know....I know me and it makes me a little worried.

That still applies to SS amps as well, but seeing as you never turn it off you've never really had to be mindful.

Just remember this I doubt you can forget about the Lyr being on, it runs hot, hot enough to notice or not forget about it.
But if you can't seem to "train" yourself to get into that habit I'd rather you not have the Lyr than blow your headphones up.

I'll hope you do end up with the Lyr it's a great amp especially when ya get into the journey of tube rolling. Best of luck! 

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #2,274 of 2,392
Hey all,

To clarify: all current Lyrs have relay mute on turn-on and turn-off, so you can leave your headphones plugged in all the time if you'd like. However, I personally still like the extra safety of unplugging before turn-off and plugging in after the relay has engaged. It's an old habit--hard to get rid of.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,275 of 2,392
Hmm pluggin iems into the LYR 

Let's imagine what would happen if you put 1000 horsepower into a Mini... There are literally hundreds and hundreds of options for iems and the LYR isn't one of them. Come on people. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,276 of 2,392
I wonder if my Shure SE530's would go up like San Diego's show last night...  18 seconds of pure excitement followed by stunned silence as the smoke slowly drifts away..
(with apologies to my SD friends :wink:)

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,277 of 2,392
I would love to hear recommendation straight from the man himself. If I would have to choose between the 3 Amp (Asgard, Valhalla and Lyr), which is best for a good neutral sounding (since I think neutral sounding Amp would bring out the true colours of different headphones/brands) that would fit all of my headphones (please have a look at my profile)

I will be buying Bifrost as my main DAC

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,278 of 2,392
Meoow...

I have had both amps the Lyr and the Agard and in your profile i see you have 702's  had these as well with both amps...both amps work very well with the 702's and I preferred the Lyr over the Asgard...personal preference...

All the best
Ale

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #2,279 of 2,392
Hey all,

To clarify: all current Lyrs have relay mute on turn-on and turn-off, so you can leave your headphones plugged in all the time if you'd like. However, I personally still like the extra safety of unplugging before turn-off and plugging in after the relay has engaged. It's an old habit--hard to get rid of.

All the best,
Jason

I would never turn-on/off a headamp with the phones pluged in. Does the new relay show measureable added hum over the pre-relay model? Just a little hum can really add IMD. I guess I am a purist that never liked a relay coil near the output, will I void my warranty if I by-pass it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back