Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jun 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #2,251 of 2,392
Quote:
Let the Lyr run all night and day so there was some additional break in.. meh.. next..
Just dropped the Amperex Holland A-Frame in.. revved everything back up and am going out for a 2 hour ride.   BTW.. the Amperex is giving off a foul smell, can't really describe it and I assume that it's just new tube normal burn off.  Nothing seems to be overheating or smoking after 10 minutes and liking the sound better already but no 'Holy Schiit!' yet. Will see what it's like after my ride. 

~~ Next Day Update ~~
The house didn't burn down, no more foul smell, let the Amperex tubes run for about 12 hours and swapped out the Matrix Mini-i DAC with the PS Audio DLIII from my main A/V system. Holy Schiit! Nailed it! This combo is really sweet. I really can't afford to get a second DLIII but the BiFrost may do. Over to the BiFrost thread to see if there are amy comparisons between the DLIII and BiFrost.

The nasty toxic smell isn't the tubes, it's the amp.  It's probably the soldering dope or some protective coating on the trasformer windings or something like that burning off.  Mine stank horribly for about 2 weeks or so each time I'd turn it on.  And I had two of them...in the same room
eek.gif
  No tube change produced an odor, so it's purely the amp.  it does go away completely though, it's just "new amp smell"
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,252 of 2,392
Does anyone know when they started putting the relay in the Lyr?  My s/n is 00396. Got mine used a couple of weeks ago. Or is there another way of telling?

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,253 of 2,392
If you turn it on and it "clicks" after ~20 seconds then yours has the relay. Keep in mind that there won't be any output from the headphone jack before it clicks.

Interestingly, there is some very low frequency sound that comes out of the RCA outputs during that warmup period. I have to make sure I turn the amp on before anything else or I get a very bassy surprise. It's pretty scary if I turn my tactile transducer on first by accident lol.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,254 of 2,392
I am going to purchase a Lyr in five days. I had a question ... I have only two outlets in the room I'll be using, and none of them are grounded. I use a nice Belkin surge protector/power strip and have a computer, a TV, a monitor, at times one laptop and at times one phone, and a small desk fan plugged into it. I have two spots open, still. Do you think I'll get any noise running the Lyr on this setup? I have the belkin strip plugged into a cheater plug.

I don't think it's possible for me to ground this single outlet without doing a ton of work on the entire house's wiring. Do people run a similar setup? I could move some of the things to another power strip (but on the same outlet) if that might help? I could move most of them, really. 

If any of you are well-versed in this stuff, would installing a GFCI outlet be beneficial? Kind of a specialty question I know, but I figured that I should ask here where people might have had this experience than have someone else say "well sure I've done this ... with a different amp."

Thanks guys. I'll be using these with a HE-400 for awhile and eventually an LCD-3 and I'm very excited. (I'll actually have this for a few weeks before I have my HE-400 .. will I benefit from using things like my V-Moda, CAL, UE TripleFi and things like that with this in the meantime? Not looking for anything drastic, of course, and I won't have a good DAC for about a month or two .. will get the magic streamer ii for now)

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2,255 of 2,392
Hey guys,

First post on headfi!

Was just wondering, has anyone tried the Lyr with IEMs? The sennheiser IE8 in particular...

Do understand that the IE8s are described as 'dark' by some individuals, but I believe they're natural.

I am curious if they are tonally a good match for the warm Lyrs.

Much appreciated!

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2,256 of 2,392
For shats and giggles I did use the Hifiman RE-262 with the Lyr.  Very impressive sounding but always quickly switched back to full-sized headphones with the Lyr because of mental images of exploding drivers.  I suppose RE-262 is on the warm side of tonality but never heard the IE8 so can't say they are more or less dark.  I don't find the RE-262 overly dark by any means if that helps.  The warmest headphone I've owned to date would be the ESW9a.

Quote:
Hey guys,

First post on headfi!

Was just wondering, has anyone tried the Lyr with IEMs? The sennheiser IE8 in particular...

Do understand that the IE8s are described as 'dark' by some individuals, but I believe they're natural.

I am curious if they are tonally a good match for the warm Lyrs.

Much appreciated!

Jun 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,257 of 2,392
Quote:
For shats and giggles I did use the Hifiman RE-262 with the Lyr.  Very impressive sounding but always quickly switched back to full-sized headphones with the Lyr because of mental images of exploding drivers.  I suppose RE-262 is on the warm side of tonality but never heard the IE8 so can't say they are more or less dark.  I don't find the RE-262 overly dark by any means if that helps.  The warmest headphone I've owned to date would be the ESW9a.

Thanks WNBC :)

Have you tried them with Hifiman Planars (or other electrostats) btw? Would love to someday invest in a pair, but am currently in two minds about divesting myself of my headphone gear :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #2,258 of 2,392
Where do you guys BUY GE and other tubes?

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,259 of 2,392
Jun 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2,260 of 2,392
Quote:
From Schiit, Tubemonger, Upscaleaudio, Audiotubes, Ebay . com 
biggrin.gif
 (And other Head-Fiers)

But how do you know what fits?  I have a Dice Audio tube amp ipod/iphone speaker system and I have no idea what tubes to get for it when they eventually go out.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #2,261 of 2,392
Quote:
But how do you know what fits?  I have a Dice Audio tube amp ipod/iphone speaker system and I have no idea what tubes to get for it when they eventually go out.

The ITPA-220 takes dual 6n3 tubes.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,262 of 2,392
Jun 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #2,263 of 2,392
Quote:
6n3 'what' ?  There seem to be a lot of options with WILDLY varying prices.

6n3 is the tube type. Yea, tube prices do vary.

PS Do you have a Lyr? I am a bit confused about if you're just looking for tubes for your DICE.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #2,264 of 2,392
The Lyr + LCD-2 was quite a good pairing.  Lyr drives most orthos with authority, excellent dynamics and soundstage.  Lively presentation.  Myself and others specifically sought out the Lyr when it was first released to feed the power hungry orthos.  Never got to try the HE-500 with the Lyr though.   

BTW, the IE8 is a very efficient earphone.  I wouldn't necessary want to plug it in the Lyr.  The RE-262 is fairly inefficient, it was born and raised to be paired with amps.  

Quote:
Thanks WNBC :)

Have you tried them with Hifiman Planars (or other electrostats) btw? Would love to someday invest in a pair, but am currently in two minds about divesting myself of my headphone gear :frowning2:

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #2,265 of 2,392
Quote:
6n3 is the tube type. Yea, tube prices do vary.

PS Do you have a Lyr? I am a bit confused about if you're just looking for tubes for your DICE.

I'm looking into a Lyr for my HD 650s so I can then drive the planar magnetics (HiFiMan or Audeze) when I eventually upgrade.  Question:  Will the Lyr blow up my HD 650s if I have them plugged in when I turn on the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back