Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Nov 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,041 of 2,392

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, did you place any "feet" of any type on the bottom of your Lyr or is the chasis sitting directly on shelf or rack you've placed it on ? Transformers will buzz if placed on a solid surface, raising the amp off of the surface allows the vibration to dissapate enough that you should'nt hear it from a few feet.

I used the feet that came with the amp. I'll try placing the amp on a softer surface to see if the buzzing noise goes down.

Thanks,
Guy

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #2,042 of 2,392
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #2,043 of 2,392

Quote:
Got the amp in today and set it up with the 6BZ7 tubes. Initial impression: between it and the HeadAmp GS-X in balanced mode (via Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 XLR on the LCD-2 r2), I'm not sure which amp is better - which is probably saying a lot for the Lyr, considering the price difference between the amps. In fact the only thing I've been able to discern so far is that the Lyr has more mid-bass - as in, more impact/punch.

I actually thought there'd be more of a difference considering the Lyr has triple the output power of the GS-X in balanced mode, so not sure what to make of this yet. Will have to do more listening....

Asr..any further comments about lyr vs balanced dynalo for lcd-2??

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #2,044 of 2,392
on page 35 i was talking about how there was a static sound coming from my amp and by leaving it on for about an hour the sound would then just disappear, last night i was moving around in my chair while listening to music and while doing so the static increased I found that when I moved the usb cable in my dac static would be created (dac is Nuforce hdp), i thought other people might be having the same problem.

looks like buying a bifrost is an easy solution. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #2,045 of 2,392
Shaun,

Have u tried another USB cable? It could be a lousy ground connection or a mechincal fit issue...with the cable or with the connector in the dac or pc.

U can get a cheap USB cable to test.

if u pick up the dac and move it around do u hear the static?

does music have to be playing or does the static happen all the time?

All the best
Alex

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2,047 of 2,392
Nice to know.  Are the LCD-3's all they are rumoured to be?

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2,048 of 2,392

Quote:
Nice to know.  Are the LCD-3's all they are rumoured to be?

They are fantastic...but then again, so were the LCD-2s. I found the LCD-2s to be revolutionary and the LCD-3s to be more evolutionary. FYI...my thoughts on the differences can be found in the wiki section.
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,049 of 2,392
Thanks...looked it up.  Nice read.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,053 of 2,392

This is my understanding too, clean reserve power gives your system punch to handle fast rises and falls in the in the volume without clipping and distortion. 
Quote:
It's not about the continuous power.  It's about the power reserves to give you undistorted short term dynamics...a loud sharp snare drum, for example.  You may not need more than say 750mW in 90% of the passages, but then the amp may be called upon to deliver 3W for an instant.  The Lyr, theoretically, would handle that with aplomb, while a 1W RMS amp would clip and distort. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #2,055 of 2,392
TESTING AND EVALUATION

I would like to thank everyone for their posts, I will continue to read through them in an effort to educate myself.

In the way of comparisons and testing, I found this quote on Headamp's web site. We use to do this with amps and speakers.

Dark Background  

"We believe that keeping a black background is one of the most important aspects in the design of any amplifier.  We connect a pair of one of the most sensitive headphones in the world to the amplifier in its high-gain setting, and crank the volume up - any level of hiss or hum is unacceptable."

Design Stability

Some other good tests would be to take several units and rack them together in a dark room on the same power supply and turn them on then wait few minutes then turn them off and observe if all of the units light on and light off exactly the same. If yes the design is stable if no the design is not stable aka no two units sound the same. This can identify design flaws or inferior components and quality control on the cheap. All you need is a dark room and a power switch. All manufacturers need to perform this test.

Sound Quality

My ears may already be blown, but it would be interesting to have a piano tuner evaluate the accuracy of any equipment by running reference piano scales through it. Hitting the right frequency is good, accurately reproducing resonance, and rise and decay is another. Just a thought.

Isolation and Balance and accuracy

If someone has a dual channel graphic equalizer function on their PC as part of a home recording studio software app, you could try pumping piano reference keys through the amp on mono, each channel individually which should show zero on the vacant channel, then both channels at the same time and compare the equalizer channels highs and lows. Should be able to freeze the highs. Electronic keyboard, a good one, may be a good source for the test as you walk the scales. You could repeat the same exercise for multiple volume levels if you really want to ring it out.

Fatigue

Another test would be leaving the unit in a test loop as described above and run it wide open for 24 hours on full volume and compare the before and after and heat. Programming some scales on the computer or electronic keyboard would make a good test pump for the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back