Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jul 26, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #1,697 of 2,392

Quote:
Realizing the differences in every ones gear, I find just the opposite to be true.

That had been my experience as well.  Not many absolutes in this game.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,698 of 2,392
Yes, the 6BZ7 are definitely not for me.

Would you say the Mullard E88CC would differ drastically from the Mullard ECC88/6DJ8? I know this isn't exactly the right thread for this, but while we're on the subject.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of tube rolling. The GE's have a full bodied sound to them. If you want a thinner sound there are many choices the Mullard E88CC gives the mids and removes the bloat there are tons of other choices
it gets pretty expensive to start rolling tubes so I would start with a Mullard and go from there.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,699 of 2,392
There are different periods when the 6BZ7 was made and different formulations so within this group, there are varying sounds as true with most all tubes. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,702 of 2,392

Quote:
I will have to compare the two again maybe my airness is off hahahaha

I hear ya.  Sometimes we all need to let a little air out of our tires (tyres) to fit through the tunnel
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #1,703 of 2,392
Well i ordered my amp about 3 and abit weeks ago and after backlog catch up and shipping it has got to customs and that was about five days of waiting then they send me a nice import tax letter sayying i must pay 63.65 GBP or 104.017 USD.

i know this is not schiits fault and i bought the amp knowing this would happen but its been nearly a month so i forgot, just thought i should warn uk buyyers of this kind of thing, so you can put some money a side for it.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #1,704 of 2,392
Well i ordered my amp about 3 and abit weeks ago and after backlog catch up and shipping it has got to customs and that was about five days of waiting then they send me a nice import tax letter sayying i must pay 63.65 GBP or 104.017 USD.

i know this is not schiits fault and i bought the amp knowing this would happen but its been nearly a month so i forgot, just thought i should warn uk buyyers of this kind of thing, so you can put some money a side for it.

Ouch!

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #1,705 of 2,392
I've had my new Lyr for ~1 week now and I'm pretty happy with it. It is very solidly built. It has the GE 6BZ7 tubes and a matched set of NOS Amperex Orange Globes from Benjamin6264. This amp really wakes up my HD650 and makes me say Wow! Out of the box the Orange Globes seem just slightly more recessed overall than the 6BZ7. It's subtle and I haven't decided if I prefer one more than the other. There is no comparison between the HP amp of of my Mav D1 compared to the Lyr. The D1 doesn't have the control of the bass frequencies that the Lyr has. It really isn't fair to compare the two anyway. One thing I didn't expect is how hot the Lyr runs, especially the right side of the case. It's hot enough that I've looked into aluminum heat sink solutions for the exterior case. 

Ideally I'd like to find a one box solution that also includes analog inputs for my phono stage, e.g. the Mav D1, Burson HA160D, Peacthree iDecco, Benchmark DAC1, etc. I really like the HD650 and have no plans to upgrade. There is probably a compromise somewhere in a one box solution so that is a factor to consider. If I had to decide right now based purely on features and price point I'd probably go with the iDecco. I should probably start a new thread for this topic.

Jul 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,707 of 2,392
Its winter in Australia now, approximately 23 celcius room temperature and my Lyr is not really hot, pretty warm imo. I even can swap tubes with my bare hands without waiting for them cooling down.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Seriously, so worries with the heat Lyr puts out. It's class a with tubes - it's gonna run hot when it's running well.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #1,708 of 2,392
I hear ya - I've got 'hot rolling' down to an art. About to pop the Orange Globes out and drop in the trusty Brimar/Ediswans. Love the texture of that tube 
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #1,709 of 2,392
It's not that bad I find. My Lyr runs around 38 celcius (100F) on regular operation. Room temperature 24C (75F)

For a while I've had the Lyr sitting on a laptop cooler, that worked quite good at keeping the temperature down. Though the fan noise from the cooler is annoying so I stopped that.

Quote:
Seriously, so worries with the heat Lyr puts out. It's class a with tubes - it's gonna run hot when it's running well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back