Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Jun 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,411 of 2,392
Tube talk here dilutes a prospective purchaser from being able to read what a stock standard Lyr sounds like. It is already difficult enough to search threads without users deliberately mixing topics.

If a person hasn't been able to come up with an opinion of the Lyr with stock tubes after 94 pages, I don't think there's much that can be done to help him. Hell, most of these "Item XXX Impressions!" threads wind up being so long, they're useless, because concise useful opinions and data are buried so deep in irrelevant stuff, it would take days to sift through a single thread to come out with a good idea of what that piece of equipment is like.

Quick snippet for anyone looking for a concise opinion of the Lyr:

Using the stock JJ E88CC tubes, powerful, reasonably transparent and uncolored; slightly curtailed at both the high and low end, as well as being slightly compressed, but overall pleasant and unassuming.

Using some of the more popular tubes - expansive, resolving, very good lows and mids, sweet but not shimmery highs, and removed from an overly syrupy/lush tube sound without being clinical and razor-edged like solid state.

A broad plethora of good tubes with a wide spectrum of tube characteristics will allow people with markedly different preferences to still enjoy the same amp just by rolling different tubes. For the price, an absolute sledgehammer of an amp that would still be fairly priced were it half again the retail cost.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,412 of 2,392
Quote:
If a person hasn't been able to come up with an opinion of the Lyr with stock tubes after 94 pages, I don't think there's much that can be done to help him. Hell, most of these "Item XXX Impressions!" threads wind up being so long, they're useless, because concise useful opinions and data are buried so deep in irrelevant stuff, it would take days to sift through a single thread to come out with a good idea of what that piece of equipment is like.

Question/Suggestion:  I see we can give positive feedback on individual posts by clicking on the green thumbs-up in the lower right-hand corner of each post ... is it possible to sort a thread's posts by thumbs-up count?  If you could sort the top thumbs-up threads to the top, that might be useful and filter out a lof of the fluff. 
Sometimes the context might be confusing but you could always return to the original thread to get the context.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #1,413 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Tube talk here dilutes a prospective purchaser from being able to read what a stock standard Lyr sounds like. It is already difficult enough to search threads without users deliberately mixing topics.

Using the stock JJ E88CC tubes, powerful, reasonably transparent and uncolored; slightly curtailed at both the high and low end, as well as being slightly compressed, but overall pleasant and unassuming.

Using some of the more popular tubes - expansive, resolving, very good lows and mids, sweet but not shimmery highs, and removed from an overly syrupy/lush tube sound without being clinical and razor-edged like solid state.

A broad plethora of good tubes with a wide spectrum of tube characteristics will allow people with markedly different preferences to still enjoy the same amp just by rolling different tubes. For the price, an absolute sledgehammer of an amp that would still be fairly priced were it half again the retail cost.

Well said!  My experience with the stock JJ tubes is more positive than what is bolded above.  I hear no curtailment of either end of the sonic spectrum.  When operating in spec, the amp is flat with a frequency response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB.  I know NOBODY can hear at either end of that spectrum.

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,414 of 2,392

Quote:
Question/Suggestion:  I see we can give positive feedback on individual posts by clicking on the green thumbs-up in the lower right-hand corner of each post ... is it possible to sort a thread's posts by thumbs-up count?  If you could sort the top thumbs-up threads to the top, that might be useful and filter out a lof of the fluff. 
Sometimes the context might be confusing but you could always return to the original thread to get the context.

I have not been able to find a way of filtering by thumbs up votes.  yet.

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #1,415 of 2,392
Well, you did (I believe) mention letting them burn in for a couple (or was it three?) hundred hours... 
wink_face.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
Well said!  My experience with the stock JJ tubes is more positive than what is bolded above.  I hear no curtailment of either end of the sonic spectrum.  When operating in spec, the amp is flat with a frequency response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB.  I know NOBODY can hear at either end of that spectrum.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,417 of 2,392

Quote:

Well said!  

(Whew!  I'm glad that's over!)

The END!    
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #1,418 of 2,392
Hoping someone can help me here.

Just received my Schiit Lyr, and am using my Nuforce Icon HDP as DAC and preamp for it.

Current setup is:

Yamaha CD-S1000 > SPDIF > HDP > RCA out > RCA in > Lyr

My question, as I have never used a preamp, is how do I set my volume control? Do I max the HDP, and use the Lyr volume, or max the Lyr, and use the HDP volume?

Thanks.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,419 of 2,392
Definitely wouldn't max the Lyr's volume - given its output capability, there's a not-insignificant danger of accidentally smoking your headphones, ears, or both if someone inadvertently bumps the pre-amp volume while you're listening to music.

For pre-amping, I normally adjust the level on the pre-amp to give me enough volume in the first 25% of the power amp pot rotation for normal listening.  There may be better methods, but this has always worked for me.

Quote:

Just received my Schiit Lyr, and am using my Nuforce Icon HDP as DAC and preamp for it.

Current setup is:

My question, as I have never used a preamp, is how do I set my volume control? Do I max the HDP, and use the Lyr volume, or max the Lyr, and use the HDP volume?

Thanks.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,420 of 2,392
Just to hop back and clarify a bit (bad wording on my part) - I don't think the stock tubes have a cut-off of the lows and highs (re-reading what I wrote, that's what it seems like I was saying to me), but rather they're not quite as distinct and controlled with the JJs as they are with some NOS tubes.  Frequency extremes are still good with the stock tubes, but I found that NOS tubes gave a bit better bass control and texture, and more vocal enunciation and clarity on higher frequencies, especially with female vocals.

If I did have to go back to the stock tubes though, I wouldn't be upset - the Lyr is still a great amp with new production valves.

Quote:

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,421 of 2,392

Quote:

Current setup is:

Thanks.

I could look up the spec for the Nuforce but can't you just go from the analog out of the dac to the Lyr? I wouldn't want something else in the signal chain as the less the better. Also by having one volume control partially used and the other volume control the same way, you have two volume controls in the signal path, which isn't a great thing either. I have done it but after a while I can tell when going back to a more direct signal path that there is better transparency and quality with the simpler signal path. IMO

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #1,422 of 2,392

Quote:

Current setup is:

Thanks.

To start, set the volume control on the HDP to 70-80% of maximum and then control the listening volume with the Lyr.  The Lyr expects a standard line level output from the DAC, so that's what you need to provide for it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #1,423 of 2,392
So there's no way to defeat the attenuation of the HDP's rca outs?

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #1,424 of 2,392
I finally have received my Lyr in Afghanistan today.  All I can say is "Auditory Bliss".  I'm not going to say that it's better than much more expensive amps.  What I will say is that for the price this amp is worlds ahead of what I had hoped for.  The sound it produces sends chills over my body (my ultimate test for a piece of audio gear).  Zakk Wylde's guitar solos will stand the hair on your neck at attention.  I have never heard Adele's beautiful voice so clearly presented.  While this amp may be warm, it's very pleasant and I feel as though I'm molded into my chair from the place it puts me.  Overall the separation in instruments is good as you can clearly distinguish them.  Detail is good as I'm hearing things that I haven't been able to hear in a while with the gear I have here in Afghan.  I'm not going to go into a full blown review as I have not had enough time with the amp, and also I'm in Afghan where I'm limited to resources. 

I would however like to say thank you to Jason giving us this wonderful amp at such an outstanding price.  I also have to speak for Jason's customer service.  I wrote in a question to the customer service number that wasn't about anything technical, just about the shipping address I had submitted, and he responded to me himself.  That's very refreshing.

On a side note as has been stated elsewhere you aren't supposed to use audio equipment through a computer UPS as the created sinewaves will interfere with the sound.  I can now attest to this.  I plugged it into one of the Battery sockets in my ups and was instantly greeted with a nice buzz.  I moved it over to one of the Surge only outlets and the buzz disappeared.  It's good to have some confirmation on what i've heard, but not yet experienced. 

Thanks again Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back