Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #856 of 2,392
Thanks Demonic. I never had tubes yeah it was a serious question.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #857 of 2,392

Quote:
They run so hot that my Lyr started changing colors!

That is a patina, part of the charm and character of an amp. 

Ok, so to be a decent small room heater you will need a number of these?? What a rip off. There goes more money out the window. 

Any more impressions about the amps sound? That is always enjoyable reading for those of cast off on an island somewhere out here. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #858 of 2,392
hi guys, between schiit lyr vs centrance dacmini, which is a better buy to drive cans eg beyer t1/lcd2/he6?
Im concerned about whole sound implementation and not so much as DAC/preamp/HPA value.
Just comparing the sonics and character of sound produced.
In other words, if u already have a decent DAC, and would want some good headphone amp for tough loads and musical sound, which of the two would be a good buy?
Thanks

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #859 of 2,392

Quote:
hi guys, between schiit lyr vs centrance dacmini, which is a better buy to drive cans eg beyer t1/lcd2/he6?
Im concerned about whole sound implementation and not so much as DAC/preamp/HPA value.
Just comparing the sonics and character of sound produced.
In other words, if u already have a decent DAC, and would want some good headphone amp for tough loads and musical sound, which of the two would be a good buy?
Thanks

Lyr should be the better amp. It can drive  almost anything on the planet. It will pair extremely well with orthodynamics and high impedence headphones. I use mine with HE-6 and HD800.

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #860 of 2,392
That is a patina, part of the charm and character of an amp. 

Ok, so to be a decent small room heater you will need a number of these?? What a rip off. There goes more money out the window. 

Any more impressions about the amps sound? That is always enjoyable reading for those of cast off on an island somewhere out here. 

hahaha I was joking Jamato8 about it changing colors I was just riding the wave of tubes running hot hahaha:D

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #861 of 2,392
So was I. :^)

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #863 of 2,392
Thanks Snips for the reply. I presume you heard the DACmini also then? I would think like you but apparently the guys in the DACmini board has it that the gain on the DACmini can be increased by requesting the company to bump it up so that it can also drive anything 600ohm and below with ease. Im sure both can drive the tough cans reasonably and being tube hybrid, the Lyr can be rolled and have more options and cost cheaper too. But before i take the leap of faith, just need a few more ppl who have heard both to give an honest comment.
Both Lyr and DACmini have appeared FS on head-fi and that goes to show for whatever reason, the owner didnt think they were suitable for keeping even though im pretty sure none of the two would be 'bad' for sound in any sense. usually if we find something to be a real gem, even if we dont have use for it and cash flow is not dire, we would just keep an iconic product, no?

Thanks for more input....

Quote:

Lyr should be the better amp. It can drive  almost anything on the planet. It will pair extremely well with orthodynamics and high impedence headphones. I use mine with HE-6 and HD800.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #864 of 2,392

Quote:
Thanks Snips for the reply. I presume you heard the DACmini also then? I would think like you but apparently the guys in the DACmini board has it that the gain on the DACmini can be increased by requesting the company to bump it up so that it can also drive anything 600ohm and below with ease. Im sure both can drive the tough cans reasonably and being tube hybrid, the Lyr can be rolled and have more options and cost cheaper too. But before i take the leap of faith, just need a few more ppl who have heard both to give an honest comment.
Both Lyr and DACmini have appeared FS on head-fi and that goes to show for whatever reason, the owner didnt think they were suitable for keeping even though im pretty sure none of the two would be 'bad' for sound in any sense. usually if we find something to be a real gem, even if we dont have use for it and cash flow is not dire, we would just keep an iconic product, no?

Thanks for more input....

When comparing the amp portion of the DAC Mini to the Lyr, one must consider the fact that when you have a limited output capacity, no amount of gain increase will give one more output power.

Here's the bottom line;
As good as the DAC Mini is, the Lyr is a better amp.
As good as the Lyr is, the DAC Mini is the better DAC. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #865 of 2,392
Hi kwkarth,

Thanks for jumping in to share.
Using a Nuforce HDP as my DAC combo. Considering what would d next upgrade be, a Lyr or a DACmini.
The DACmini as u wrote somewhere is another level from HDP, are they so far apart or just a variant of the same sound/sonics? Just worried getting a DACmini would be a sidegrade more than an upgrade. If the DAC and amp of the DACmini is really notably(and not just marginally) superior to HDP, then it makes sense to get the DACmini.
Someone wrote that the output from the DACmini is more musical and warmer/valve-like and preferred over the HDP sound. However, that doesnt mean the HDP sounds inferior objectively speaking as it output 24/96 USB or 24/192 SPDIF(same specs as DACmini). So a bit undecided here.

The Lyr i have heard twice and I found the sound pretty enjoyable but didnt floor me as I had hoped. Maybe too high expectations but nonetheless a good amp with tube-rolling options.
So say HDP as DAC -->Lyr vs DACmini sound?? Which way would u advice and why? Thanks

Cheers

Quote:
When comparing the amp portion of the DAC Mini to the Lyr, one must consider the fact that when you have a limited output capacity, no amount of gain increase will give one more output power.

Here's the bottom line;
As good as the DAC Mini is, the Lyr is a better amp.
As good as the Lyr is, the DAC Mini is the better DAC. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #867 of 2,392

Quote:
Hi kwkarth,

Thanks for jumping in to share.
Using a Nuforce HDP as my DAC combo. Considering what would d next upgrade be, a Lyr or a DACmini.
The DACmini as u wrote somewhere is another level from HDP, are they so far apart or just a variant of the same sound/sonics? Just worried getting a DACmini would be a sidegrade more than an upgrade. If the DAC and amp of the DACmini is really notably(and not just marginally) superior to HDP, then it makes sense to get the DACmini.
Someone wrote that the output from the DACmini is more musical and warmer/valve-like and preferred over the HDP sound. However, that doesnt mean the HDP sounds inferior objectively speaking as it output 24/96 USB or 24/192 SPDIF(same specs as DACmini). So a bit undecided here.

The Lyr i have heard twice and I found the sound pretty enjoyable but didnt floor me as I had hoped. Maybe too high expectations but nonetheless a good amp with tube-rolling options.
So say HDP as DAC -->Lyr vs DACmini sound?? Which way would u advice and why? Thanks

Cheers

Some of the benefits of the Lyr will show up more or less depending upon the headphones you're trying to drive with it and what tubes you use.  For me, and for my ears, if I had a choice between the HDP and the DACMini...  I would run, not walk, to the nearest place to buy the DACMini.  To me, the Centrance product is in another league altogether compared to the HDP.  Then again, so is the Lyr compared to the HDP.  To my ears, the HDP is a large version of the μDAC2, about on the same level sonically.  Not a bad product at all, but not in the same league as either the Lyr or the DacMini.  Both the DAC and the Amp in the DACMini far outclass the HDP.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #870 of 2,392
2C51/396A/5670/6385/6N3P can not be substituted for 6DJ8/6922/ECC88/6N1P. Both are 9 pins BUT they have different electrical specs.

Right. And just for clarity, the 6DJ8 is the US designation. ECC88 is the European designation. 6922 is also US, and the European equivalent is the E88CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back