Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 11, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #736 of 2,392
Should be pulling the trigger on one of these tomorrow hopefully, sounds like Schiit have done an amazing job at making some affordable high end amps. I noticed on their website that they are in back-order again, I guess they still haven't caught up with demand yet.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #737 of 2,392

Quote:
Should be pulling the trigger on one of these tomorrow hopefully, sounds like Schiit have done an amazing job at making some affordable high end amps. I noticed on their website that they are in back-order again, I guess they still haven't caught up with demand yet.

They mentioned they will be shipping at the end of this month. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #738 of 2,392

I ordered mine on April 3 and was shipped on the 6th. I think mine is already from the second batch.
I just got an email from Jason. He said the pop is totally normal. They were able to eliminate it on the Asgard but not completely on the Lyr.
Hope this helps.

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #741 of 2,392
Closed the sound stage a bit, giving more emphasis to the bass and smoothing out the treble; feeling the low notes from my Enya music rumble in my chest as it thumps with some impressive force.  I just hope it does the same when my PB-2 arrives, or maybe close to it.  No bloat by the way, very tight, very clean.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #742 of 2,392
Nice. Just ordered some JMoney's for my Denons. I noted the pads for Beyers. Gonna have to queue up that purchase. Do you find them comfortable (last 'off topic' question :))?

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #744 of 2,392

Quote:
I just got an email from Jason. He said the pop is totally normal. They were able to eliminate it on the Asgard but not completely on the Lyr.
Hope this helps.

Hi

here is the answer from Fred about my questions:

Hi Jason,
i have a Question about my new Lyr:
Did the Lyr have a start-delay?
Yes -- about 10-15 seconds for the tubes to warm up.

My phones make a very hard "plopp" when i get start it.
Some warm-up thump is normal

My second Problem is a very minimal "brumm" i heard. Is this normal?
The Lyr is high gain -- you may hear minor background noises according to the gain
of your headphones.

Is this addicted by the tubes?
To some extent -- unless the tubes are defective where they can hum

The hum that i hear is also current when no Phone is in the Lyr

I've never have a amp with those trials like the Lyr......
frown.gif

I like the design and power but the hum make me melancholy about this...

No other room no other cable or else make that the Lyr is still.....

Have fun with your Lyr so it is still and have no other problems!
I love that amp but it makes my heart sank.....

Sorry for my bad english

Greets Jens

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #745 of 2,392
Hi Petitrouge, so you hear a hum or noise from your amp?  Do you have anything else plugged into the same outlet / power strip as the AMP?  Your experience is different than mine.  Mine is pretty much silent or so quiet I haven't noticed it even in a quiet room.  Does anybody else hear a hum from the Lyr, not a hum from the headphone which can be expected as one increases the gain.  My past Valhalla was pretty silent too.  Maybe I'm reading the original post wrong.

Quote:

The hum that i hear is also current when no Phone is in the Lyr

I've never have a amp with those trials like the Lyr......
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #747 of 2,392
Hi Petitrouge, so you hear a hum or noise from your amp?  Do you have anything else plugged into the same outlet / power strip as the AMP?  Your experience is different than mine.  Mine is pretty much silent or so quiet I haven't noticed it even in a quiet room.  Does anybody else hear a hum from the Lyr, not a hum from the headphone which can be expected as one increases the gain.  My past Valhalla was pretty silent too.  Maybe I'm reading the original post wrong.

I hear no Hum with my HD650's but I will be getting some LCD-2's so we will see I do not hear any hum without any headphones plugged in Im running the Gold lion tubes.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #749 of 2,392
I feel bad for you guys with hum/hiss issues, my Lyr has proven to be completely silent.
That's with the Lyr at full volume, with the source on or off, with LCD-2's or HD800's. 
I don't know if I just got lucky, have inherently less noise or DC on my power lines or it's my power conditioner.
FYI - My power conditioner is an APC H15, which in now going for only $200 USD, and is a great value IMHO for what it all does. 
It offers "protection from blackouts, voltage sags & swells, electrical noise interference and damaging power transients":
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=h15&tab=features

From what posts I've read on the issue it doesn't appear generally be a tube issue?  Has anyone addressed perhaps DC on the AC line?

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #750 of 2,392
That's because you are using hard to drive headphones. Use sensitive headphones with no ambient sound. You will note the difference from plugging them in and then unplugging them.

I call BS from those who say its dead silent with their easy to drive cans with NO ambient noise where they are listening.

Like I said, just a fan or a/c is enough to cancel the Lyr's noise. Again, absolutely no sound around you.

I have burned mine in for well over 120 hours and it has definitely almost quieted down to almost no sound except some hum and very little noise. I'm sure if I used some HD800s or something similar, it'd be silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back