Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 10, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #706 of 2,392
It would seem then there is some DC offset. I think they said the amp is direct coupled so this could be the case. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #707 of 2,392
Mine has a pop when turning it on or off. It scared me enough not to leave my cans plugged in when doing so.

BTW, getting to about 100 hours now and the hum is considerably less audible than before (but still there, and only audible if I have absolutely no sound in the house. Again, just the AC or fan will block out the hum). The hiss is also subsided quite a bit. The tubes have definitely convinced me that they needed burning in.

Thanks Mad Lust! I think all Lyrs have that pop. Users just probably don't notice it because they don't have the phones on thier heads when they turn on the amp or they plug the phones after turning on the amp.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #708 of 2,392
Joining the Lyr club :) It sounds great with my HD650, lots of bass and a nice full smooth sound. Very happy with it!

Just wondering about one thing - Is it ok to turn the amp on and off lots of times during a day or is that bad for the tubes?

billede0429.jpg

billede0441b.jpg

What I do is if I'm going to be away just an hour or so I leave the Lyr on if longer I turn it off, but then it takes awhile to warm up. If its bad for the tubes maybe one of the tube guys can answer that question.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #709 of 2,392
My Valhalla had a pop too when I turned it off, regardless of headphones in the jack.  My Lyr does not have a pop and I've rolled the tubes as well so no pop with either set.  Didn't bother me with the Valhalla, was my first tube amp and didn't affect performance.  As in the manual, constant on and off does shorten the life of the tubes but then again the tubes are rated at over 3000 hours so in the end how many hours are we shorting the life?  If we were all so worried about such things I'd probably have to think about every donut and latte I put into my body 
tongue.gif

I think it's safe to leave your amp on or off all day.  When I'm around all day like the weekends I leave the amp on.  During the work week I leave it off and turn it on when I get home.

Quote:
Quote:
Mine has a pop when turning it on or off. It scared me enough not to leave my cans plugged in when doing so.

BTW, getting to about 100 hours now and the hum is considerably less audible than before (but still there, and only audible if I have absolutely no sound in the house. Again, just the AC or fan will block out the hum). The hiss is also subsided quite a bit. The tubes have definitely convinced me that they needed burning in.

Thanks Mad Lust! I think all Lyrs have that pop. Users just probably don't notice it because they don't have the phones on thier heads when they turn on the amp or they plug the phones after turning on the amp.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #711 of 2,392
Those of you that have a pop, how loud is it? 

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #712 of 2,392
So I am not sure how related to the "pop" that is being currently discussed this is.  And if it is a laughably new-to-tubes question, my apologies.

In the past couple weeks I have been noticing almost a "crystal-like" sound as the Lyr powered down.  At first I thought it the LCD-2s were to blame.  Then I had the bright idea to just pull the LCDs out of the headphone jack and, voila!  No sounds. 

Am I hearing my tubes power down?  Is this a common thing?  Just to remind myself of the sound I turned it off with the cans on my head.  When I turned it back on (probably the first time I've turned it on wearing my phones) I heard the pop being discussed.  Even with the volume set at 0, the pop is there.  It sounds like electronics snapping on, not particularly scary (given I'm talking about the same thing).

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #713 of 2,392

Quote:
Those of you that have a pop, how loud is it? 

More like a 'thump'. Literally sounds the same as when turning a cheap set of computer speakers on and off.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #714 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Let it burn in.  Tubes change over time.

Thanks Kwkarth! What about the pop when turning on the unit? It seems like it doesn't have a "soft start" circuit or something. I'm afraid it might damage my phones.

Is it a distinct pop every time you turn the amp on?  Mine has a pop every time I turn it on, but it's not anywhere loud enough to hurt the headphones.  I normally don't have my headphones on when I turn on the amp because I let it warm up and settle in a few minutes before I start to listen anyway.  The way to do it is to start with your headphones unplugged, turn on the amp, wait a couple minutes for the amp to warm up, then turn the volume to 0, and then plug in your headphones. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #715 of 2,392

Quote:
Yeah ... lol My bad I thought you knew the headphone jack was optical out . I thought you meant like you didn't find an optical cable yet that you liked. I never tried optical out of my macs but heard it may be better than usb. I really have no knowledge of which is better, and i don't want to run off topic, but hopefully somewhere on this forum you can post your opinion of whether you like optical or usb out of the dacmagic to your mac, I would be very interested in your findings.

np. i have an optical cable on its was and it should be here tomorrow (thanks Amazon Prime for near instant gratification) so one it arrives I'll find an appropriate place to post my impressions and comparisons.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #717 of 2,392

Quote:
Just curious - is the Lyr power-on pop/thump louder if you already turned your source on first? 
Or the same irregardless if the source is on or off?

The turn on thump is primarily from the Lyr itself.  Just give it a couple minutes to settle before listening as you would with any tubed equipment.  You could solve the problem by raising the cost of manufacture a bunch by disconnecting the output via relays until it settled out, but being a little patient and exercising common sense seems more reasonable to me.

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #718 of 2,392
Yeah, none of that sounds like anything to be even remotely concerned about. Almost every portable amp I ever tested had a turn on transient. Because, as Kevin said, no delay relays on any of those, for sure. As long as it.s more like a thump than a pop, and not so loud, no big deal.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #719 of 2,392

Quote:
So I am not sure how related to the "pop" that is being currently discussed this is.  And if it is a laughably new-to-tubes question, my apologies.

In the past couple weeks I have been noticing almost a "crystal-like" sound as the Lyr powered down.  At first I thought it the LCD-2s were to blame.  Then I had the bright idea to just pull the LCDs out of the headphone jack and, voila!  No sounds. 

Am I hearing my tubes power down?  Is this a common thing?  Just to remind myself of the sound I turned it off with the cans on my head.  When I turned it back on (probably the first time I've turned it on wearing my phones) I heard the pop being discussed.  Even with the volume set at 0, the pop is there.  It sounds like electronics snapping on, not particularly scary (given I'm talking about the same thing).

I hear this "crackle" sound too, like when you bunch up cellophane (sp?) paper.  It's only on start up / down if the phones are plugged in.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #720 of 2,392
I only have the Lyr and WA2 for tube amps and they both make that sound. Im 99% certain that it is the tubes making those sounds as they warm up shut down. Never heard it on my other amps but both tubes amps sound the same. Talking about the crackle now, not the thump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back