Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #676 of 2,392
I can't keep track of everything in this thread theres just too many posts per day so if has been asked i apologize. Blankdisc are those stock tubes? And I don't know anything about cameras or photography but those pictures came out excellent.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #677 of 2,392
Great pics blankdisc, thanks.  I like the low-light photo with the glow from the tubes, orange (internal) and white LEDs.
Blue LED's used to be the "in" thing but white seems to be what is in fashion now. 
I used to have a CIAudio VDA-2 DAC with a sharp looking violet/blue LED.  That was a very nice sounding and high-quality DAC for the money BTW.

i agree. just the design and build quality of LYR is top notch. If you peek from the top, you can see that they even print signatures on the board. makes you wonder whether Apple has anything to do with it. hehe...

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #678 of 2,392

Quote:
O ok just wondering. What is there to figure out?

BTW thanks for posting the pic and your initial impressions, I was considering running this dac, or the Yulong D100, or Hrt MSII+ when i purchase the Lyr. I don't think I'll wait until Schiit comes out with theirs. Waiting sucks.

Yes, waiting does suck as I always want to get my gear now. USB to optical is what I haven't figured out yet. Any suggestions would be great.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #679 of 2,392

Quote:
Just got my LYR today. too early to post any impression. Will let it burn in for couple days. There is one thing. It is HOT both in temperature and appearance.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus i am sure most of ppl here are far better at writing a good review than i do, so i will just try to stick to what i think that i am good at. I apologize if the photos are choking your internet.

Nice camera work
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #681 of 2,392

Quote:
The Mac will output optical from its headphone jack.  Just put a converter on the optical cable and you are away.  The Mac can then output up to 24/96 via optical and the Dac Magic can then upsample to 192.

Next thing you can do is check out different software like Pure Music etc

thanks! i totally forgot that the mac had that capability!

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #682 of 2,392

Quote:
The Mac will output optical from its headphone jack.  Just put a converter on the optical cable and you are away.  The Mac can then output up to 24/96 via optical and the Dac Magic can then upsample to 192.

Next thing you can do is check out different software like Pure Music etc

thanks too for the Pure Music recommendation! looks amazing.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #683 of 2,392
Yeah ... lol My bad I thought you knew the headphone jack was optical out . I thought you meant like you didn't find an optical cable yet that you liked. I never tried optical out of my macs but heard it may be better than usb. I really have no knowledge of which is better, and i don't want to run off topic, but hopefully somewhere on this forum you can post your opinion of whether you like optical or usb out of the dacmagic to your mac, I would be very interested in your findings.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #684 of 2,392
yes, those are stock tubes. I am waiting for Jason to put the 6N1P on sale. Def not planning to roll any other expansive tube.
I can't keep track of everything in this thread theres just too many posts per day so if has been asked i apologize. Blankdisc are those stock tubes? And I don't know anything about cameras or photography but those pictures came out excellent.

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #685 of 2,392
A lot of modern notebook PCs and Macbooks have the capability of digital output; either through a dedicated output or a dual-purpose jack for headphone/optical.  I know my VAIO does, but my Audinst is USB only, so I haven't had the opportunity to test mine out yet.  How does the Lyr/DACMagic combination sound from an HD650?  I can't decide if I want to wait for a Schiit DAC or just go ahead and get a "third-party" DAC instead when I order a Lyr later this summer (assuming I go that route of course).

Apr 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #686 of 2,392
Well the 6N1P should be inexpensive at least. They can be picked up for a few dollars each. Testing is quick so this should be one of the least expensive tubes you can buy for the Lyr. 

Are there any more impressions of the bass performance of the Lyr? Well articulated and defined with impact is what I am wondering about in comparison to other well performing amps. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #687 of 2,392
I personally am going to wait for the Schiit dac. The first model shouldn't be all that far away. I think that Jason gave an expected target date somewhere for that but from my memory it was less than 3 months from now.

Looking at Schiits experience and accomplishments and especially now the Lyr, how could you not wait?

I was going to buy a M2tech Young to have a play with USB audio but the lure of The Schiit Dac is too strong. The Lyr is a ripper for the money and would still be awesome for twice the price. Makes me wonder what the makers of the first ever stand alone DAC will make now? Drool drool drool ...

As for USB versus optical... I had a quick play on the DAC magic between the two and didn't notice a huge difference. The issue is normally jitter and I didn't put in enough critical listening time. When I asked Jason about USB versus optical, he said something like optical was designed for audio: USB wasn't! They were working on improving USB to something that they were happy with.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #688 of 2,392

Quote:
I personally am going to wait for the Schiit dac. The first model shouldn't be all that far away. I think that Jason gave an expected target date somewhere for that but from my memory it was less than 3 months from now.

Looking at Schiits experience and accomplishments and especially now the Lyr, how could you not wait?

I was going to buy a M2tech Young to have a play with USB audio but the lure of The Schiit Dac is too strong. The Lyr is a ripper for the money and would still be awesome for twice the price. Makes me wonder what the makers of the first ever stand alone DAC will make now? Drool drool drool ...

As for USB versus optical... I had a quick play on the DAC magic between the two and didn't notice a huge difference. The issue is normally jitter and I didn't put in enough critical listening time. When I asked Jason about USB versus optical, he said something like optical was designed for audio: USB wasn't! They were working on improving USB to something that they were happy with.

Good idea.  Don't forget that the other half of Shiit is Mike Moffet.  He's the guy who made the Theta DACs.  I just sold my DS Pre Gen III that Mike designed.  When it first came out there was nothing else like it. My unit was a DS Pre Gen I then I updated it to a III.    The Ds Pre is the unit that made digital audio a respectable front end in the audiophile world.   soon afterwards Krell followed with a unit of its own but it couldn't match the musical ability of the DS Pre. That unit was too cold and analytical.   As soon as I walked into the door of Mamaroneck Hi Fi in NY I was stunned by the sound of the PS Pre Gen I and bought the demo unit right on the spot. Every audiophile I knew bought one.  Thing was build like a tank too. He followed it with the Theta Data transport.  I gobbled that up also.  Both units were still going strong and sounded great when I sold them.    So it will be interesting to see what they cook up in terms of a DAC.  

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #689 of 2,392
With the advent of the Wolfson 8741 and the SABRE 32 Reference audio Dac it will be interesting to see his choice and the resulting sound. Digital is finally, after 30 years, starting to mature a little. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #690 of 2,392

Quote:
With the advent of the Wolfson 8741 and the SABRE 32 Reference audio Dac it will be interesting to see his choice and the resulting sound. Digital is finally, after 30 years, starting to mature a little. 

OT, but would it be possible to summarize the difference between these two chips in a sentence or two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back