Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #661 of 2,392

Quote:

Honestly I dont know. I bought them second hand from the guy I bought the WA2 from. They have a picture of a square guy (cartoonish looking) holding a bugle up as if playing, but the picture is kind of wore off a bit so cant really talk detail. He said they are sort of rare but not really. I didnt get more specifics about them so Im not sure.

They are probably real Bugle Boys then. It didn't always mean anything as they were just 6DJ8's stamped with the Bugle Boy but it was cool looking. The early ones are different looking compared to the later ones as the guy with the bugle got more refined later on but the early ones to me, are neat. 

Quote:
It seems like this thread title needs to be changed to The Official Schiit Lyr Tube Rolling Thread. Hard to even find many impressions lately if any regarding the Lyr with different headphones/sources etc.  Has anyone paired this with the Pro 900/2900 yet? Impressions?
very_evil_smiley.gif

-Daniel

Well rolling tubes is what it is about also, since this does directly affect the sound and therefore the outcome of impressions and possible combinations with different headphones. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #663 of 2,392
Quote:
Yeah but almost EVERY post lately has been about tubes...and most of those aren't even in relation on how they sound with the Lyr. Anyway no harm meant. Carry on.
-Daniel

Sure I understand. I like to read impressions of what is being heard also. I really look forward to them. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #664 of 2,392
Well I consider myself damn lucky! I ordered my Schiit Lyr on a Sunday almost two weeks ago & believe it or not it arrived that same Friday! I pre-ordered the LCD-2's the same day and they arrived today - only 2 weeks from filling out the form on-line. I've had a lot of high-end audio gear over the years and I have to say that already I'm blown away after about 30 minutes of listening! Went to cans as I took a job in another city and bought another, but smaller house and didn't want to drag my speakers, etc., with me. Here's my setup: MacBook Pro 17" (i7 Quad Core) -> DacMagic -> Lyr -> LCD-2. Quickly ripped a few CD's ALAC and wow! Hearing things and subtleties that I have not heard before. Soundstage is huge and open compared to my Ultrasones. My preferences are techno/industrial so that is were I started. Bass is amazing and music is expansive and doesn't seem congested or blurred even on complex and driving analog and electronic synths. Just my 1st reactions so I'll listen some more over the weekend and give a more thought through update.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #667 of 2,392
USAudio, good catch! The indicators on the DacMagic are definitely blue, but the Lyr is hard to tell. I give it a more blue-ish white than blue. I know that doesn't help, but it is not vivd blue. Looking closely at it the side before it rounds out at the end is darker than the glowing end so maybe that is what gave it the tint. I'd for all intent and purposes call it white. Hope that helps.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #669 of 2,392
Are you using usb or optical from your macbook to the dacmagic?

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #671 of 2,392
O ok just wondering. What is there to figure out?

BTW thanks for posting the pic and your initial impressions, I was considering running this dac, or the Yulong D100, or Hrt MSII+ when i purchase the Lyr. I don't think I'll wait until Schiit comes out with theirs. Waiting sucks.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #672 of 2,392
Just got my LYR today. too early to post any impression. Will let it burn in for couple days. There is one thing. It is HOT both in temperature and appearance. :) Plus i am sure most of ppl here are far better at writing a good review than i do, so i will just try to stick to what i think that i am good at. I apologize if the photos are choking your internet.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #673 of 2,392
The Mac will output optical from its headphone jack.  Just put a converter on the optical cable and you are away.  The Mac can then output up to 24/96 via optical and the Dac Magic can then upsample to 192.

Next thing you can do is check out different software like Pure Music etc

Quote:
At the moment usb. Need to figure out an optical solution still. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #674 of 2,392
Spent the morning listening to a friends Bryston dac and media player connected up to the Lyr and then listening to the HE6.  That set up is spectacular.  So smooth and yet detailed. 

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #675 of 2,392
Great pics blankdisc, thanks.  I like the low-light photo with the glow from the tubes, orange (internal) and white LEDs.
Blue LED's used to be the "in" thing but white seems to be what is in fashion now. 
I used to have a CIAudio VDA-2 DAC with a sharp looking violet/blue LED.  That was a very nice sounding and high-quality DAC for the money BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back