Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #586 of 2,392
I have the e7 docked to the e9. I can't test the e9 alone at the moment. As for the e7/e9, with my W1000X, from 9:00 on there is an audible hum and gets progressively louder as the volume is turned higher.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #587 of 2,392
 I have the same problem, not all the time, but it does happen. The hum does go away eventually after some time, maybe a half hour or so, which is really weird to me. i have tried different usb cables, different usb ports, different plugs really anything i could think of, it just doesn't make sense to me especially since it goes away after a while. I just think the connector from the e7 to the e9 isn't the greatest. When I get a new dac I will see what happens, but I def think its the e7 because once i undock the e7 the hum is gone. It's mostly a big pain with my dt 990 because I use high gain and anywhere from 9-12 o'clock and the hum is noticeable when it does appear.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #588 of 2,392
If the hum is only present or noticeable for the first half hour or so after docking the e7, my guess would be that the e7's battery is charging?

With my iBasso D2+, when charging from USB, I have noticed that the device is very, very sensitive to "dirty" power from the USB.  Anything, which carries a charge, placed along the USB cable tends to produce a rather pronounced hum when charging.  This hum is never present when the battery is engaged.

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #590 of 2,392
Well I just put in my Gold Lions into the Lyr all I can say is it sure fixed the midrange Im listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn and before with the stock JJ's the guitar was recessed now its right out front the soudstage appears to be improved as well now time to let them burn in.

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #591 of 2,392

Quote:
If the hum is only present or noticeable for the first half hour or so after docking the e7, my guess would be that the e7's battery is charging?

With my iBasso D2+, when charging from USB, I have noticed that the device is very, very sensitive to "dirty" power from the USB.  Anything, which carries a charge, placed along the USB cable tends to produce a rather pronounced hum when charging.  This hum is never present when the battery is engaged.

That might be the case, never thought about that. Whatever it is it's pretty annoying when it occurs.

Anyway, to those that have ordered their Lyr recently, how long did you guys wait till you received it. It looks like Schiit has completed their backorders and now shipping more consistent.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #592 of 2,392
My Lyr and HE-4s both just showed up (unexpected good luck - both on the same day) and not a bit of hum out of my Lyr using the stock tubes.  Gold Lions are due in before the end of the week - if I get any hum with them, I'll post back.

First impressions of the combo - excellent bass extension and a good bit of punch for open cans, mids are nice and chunky without being gooey, and the highs remind me of my K702s, with slightly less sizzle.  Left-right placement is good, soundstage isn't as wide as the K702s.  The Lyr is built like a bloody brick - the weight (about 5lbs) didn't impress me a whole lot until I actually saw the amp - it's a lot smaller than pictures seem to make it.  About the side of a Little Dot MK3.

This is running off a Zero as a DAC, with stock tubes right now.  I imagine there'll be some differences when I switch to my NFB-3 and Gold Lions.

As of right now, this audio noob is quite impressed.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #593 of 2,392

Quote:
I have the fiio e7/e9 and my biggest issue with it is sometimes when i dock the e7 to the e9 there is a very clear audible hum. I don't have a problem with the e9 alone, it only occurs when I immediately dock the e7. It usually goes away after a while, and it doesn't happen every time, but most times. If I leave the e7 docked to the e9 for the day it usually doesn't happen. I don't know if that what's happens to you but that is only issue I have with the set up. This is one reason why I am eventually going to upgrade my set up, most likely replace the e7 with another dac and use the e7 for strictly portable use.

Is this post intended for this thread?  It seems waaaay out of place!

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #594 of 2,392
Well I just put in my Gold Lions into the Lyr all I can say is it sure fixed the midrange Im listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn and before with the stock JJ's the guitar was recessed now its right out front the soudstage appears to be improved as well now time to let them burn in.

One of the things I do like very much about the Genalex tubes...they do bring out the mids and sound a little more organic to my ears over the JJ tubes.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #595 of 2,392

One of the things I do like very much about the Genalex tubes...they do bring out the mids and sound a little more organic to my ears over the JJ tubes.

I agree I have noticed the mids are much better

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #596 of 2,392
I currently have the Fiio E7/E9 and one of my major gripes about it is the very audible hum that comes out of it. How much less hum does the lyr have compared to the e9?

My E7/E9 are absolutely dead silent. Definitely quieter than the Lyr. Unless I pass 12 o clock on the E9's volume (which will never happen with real use), the E9 is almost as if I have my headphones plugged into nothing.

The Lyr is definitely audible with all headphones I have plugged in, but again, that's if there's no ambient sound, and nothing is playing. Again, people waiting on the Lyr need to relax about the hum already. Willing to bet that harder to drive headphones won't have hum.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #597 of 2,392
I don't mean to be rude, but can we just quit talking about E7s and E9s here? Their hum issue or not humming at all has nothing to do with Lyr. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #599 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

I find it pretty exciting that we have some current tubes that appear to do a great job. It is about time. I am going to pick up some Gold Lion in the next day or so, well order them, even if I don't use them for a while. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #600 of 2,392
I find it pretty exciting that we have some current tubes that appear to do a great job. It is about time. I am going to pick up some Gold Lion in the next day or so, well order them, even if I don't use them for a while. 

Of the "new issue" tubes, the Genalex Gold Lions are the only ones that I've found that compares to NOS tubes quite favourably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back