Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #571 of 2,392
Those dimmers are horrible. I wish I knew more about the circuit of the Lyr. For the price and because I love tubes I would like to pick one up. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #573 of 2,392
Those dimmers are horrible. I wish I knew more about the circuit of the Lyr. For the price and because I love tubes I would like to pick one up. 

Seeing that you own the HE-6 and LCD-2, I strongly recommend it. Seeing your stock of 6922 tubes (and variants)...you'd be all set. :evil:

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #574 of 2,392
Quote:

As pseudohippy mentioned, you should check out the 6moons article on the Lyr.  They interviewed Jason about the design, have pics of prototypes, etc.  Lots of info:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/9.html

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #575 of 2,392
So the Lyr hums with the LCD-2s? that is not a good sign as I am on the waiting list to get some. Could it be your tube selection that is causing the hum?

I hear absolutely ZERO hum from my LCD-2s and Lyr FWIW.

So some people get hum some don't with the Lyr and LCD-2's this makes no sense I get no hum from my Lyr even with 32ohm earbuds so Im betting that I will get none with the LCD-2's I may eat these words

Could be of faint ground loops (or dimmers) in their homes causing this issue? I removed all dimmers from our home a few months back. My wife wasn't too happy, but forgiveness was easier to ask for than permission. :p

Im beginning to think its some sort of ground loop issue also I have tried to reproduce hum and just cant, now I get my gold lions tomorrow so it when I roll them it will be interesting to see if I pick up hum

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #576 of 2,392
Quote:
Quote:
As pseudohippy mentioned, you should check out the 6moons article on the Lyr.  They interviewed Jason about the design, have pics of prototypes, etc.  Lots of info:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/9.html

Thank you for the link. I don't see where they review the amp. There is no reason an amp has to be complicated, as mentioned in the article. The real cost comes in the power supply, which provides the DC that the AC musical signal rides on. The better the DC, with everything else being equal, the better the sound. 

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #577 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So the Lyr hums with the LCD-2s? that is not a good sign as I am on the waiting list to get some. Could it be your tube selection that is causing the hum?

I hear absolutely ZERO hum from my LCD-2s and Lyr FWIW.

So some people get hum some don't with the Lyr and LCD-2's this makes no sense I get no hum from my Lyr even with 32ohm earbuds so Im betting that I will get none with the LCD-2's I may eat these words

Could be of faint ground loops (or dimmers) in their homes causing this issue? I removed all dimmers from our home a few months back. My wife wasn't too happy, but forgiveness was easier to ask for than permission.
tongue.gif

I  have 7 dedicated lines among my 3 hi-fi systems and my headphone amplifiers are connected to them too. I don't think it is dimmers in my case. It my be some DC in the AC causing the transformer to hum or it could be the step=up transformer.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #578 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the link. I don't see where they review the amp. There is no reason an amp has to be complicated, as mentioned in the article. The real cost comes in the power supply, which provides the DC that the AC musical signal rides on. The better the DC, with everything else being equal, the better the sound. 

Your correct, the review is in process. Although I believe it is all still part of a review, just not on the SQ yet since they are burning in, or whatever they are doing.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #579 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

He gave the amp a 2-week burn in first, then will start listening for the review.  I think it's been at least a few weeks now so we might see something as far as listening SQ from them soon.
What I thought was interesting about the article so far was Jason @ Schiit gave some interesting information on why they made various design decisions, how they're able to operate so efficiently, etc. 
Plus, Schiit isn't their full-time jobs, I believe it's just a side venture for them!

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #580 of 2,392
The problem I have is I enjoy something for a while and then I have to start messing with it. Sure, it can take the sound up a notch or two, as int he pseudo dual power supply that Woo Audio adopted that I first implemented, but sometimes, I just want everything to be there with no need to make changes. Price points always constrain, as we know. And the cost of some expensive components often really increase the cost of an amp or whatever. I will admit that some are of a limited return on audio improvement. In general I think the volume control they use int he Lyr is fine. I like the Goldpoint (I prefer this to DACT, as it is less expensive and DACT has always followed the lead of GP) but at 150 dollars hard cost, it doesn't make sense in an amp like this. I have heard excellent sound from correctly implemented low cost parts, as we know, often the synergy is more important. Superphon was exceptional for what they did with well implemented parts. 

The choice of different 6DJ8 types for this amp, for me, would make it very enjoyable as I truly like the tube when correctly set up. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #581 of 2,392

So...  This crazy hobby has made me finally plunge into the evil(ly delicious) black discs.

Unfortunately the mid-fi turntable I purchased, the Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 'Genie', started dropping the right channel within the first few tracks when I got home.  Took it back and got a free RCA jack upgrade as they thought that was the culprit.  I skipped home (not really) and threw on some of these new vinyls I had purchased.  How lovel-- dammit!  Right channel dropped out again (intermittent).  This time they tested it before doing anything and couldn't reproduce my problem.  I knew that would happen.  They asked me what my system consisted of.  I stated that the phono preamp was from them and I beamed that my headphone amp was the Schiit Lyr.

"Excuse me?!"

Such a sheepish grin grew on my face.  I figured these guys would've heard of the company... Kind of more fun that they hadn't.  I brought them the preamp and my Lyr and albums I knew the right channel failed during.  They finally were able to find the problem - faulty cartridge, which I had suggested - and fixed it.  So far.  The guy also said he was going to have to keep the Lyr... it just looked too slick.

The vinyl of Simon and Garfunkel's "Concert in Central Park" through the Lyr into LCD-2s... good night.  I get no distortion, even in the height of the crowd screaming.  I have stated it before, but this little amp has such a dynamic range, or control over it.  Certain instruments came in so smoothly.  I finally got the whole '3D imaging' people talk about.  I very nearly could "see" each musician on stage.  Now an amazing repressing of a classic jazz album (Bitches Brew) is absolutely killing me.  I feel like I have good sources and I firmly believe in 'garbage in; garbage out.'  In camping and in audio.  That being said, the Lyr is obviously taking that good signal and adding just enough salt and pepper before feeding it to my ears. 

And how they gobble it up!

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #582 of 2,392
Has anyone compared the Lyr to something like the Decware Taboo? Presentation, impact dynamic soundscape, and transparency? 

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #583 of 2,392
Quote:
... It my be some DC in the AC causing the transformer to hum or it could be the step=up transformer.

FYI - CIAudio has this nice filter that "removes the DC component caused by unbalanced line usage":  http://www.ciaudio.com/products/XDC2
I've owned many of their products in the past and they are of high-quality.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #584 of 2,392

Quote:
Yeah. The hum is soooo minor to the point that you'll probably split hairs trying to find a way to get no hum. As soon as music starts, or you have any sort of ambient sounds around you, the hum disappears. My tower fan is quiet, but audible enough to negate the hum on the Lyr when I'm not playing anything. I'd have to turn the fan off to note the hum. I NEVER turn my fan off. And the fan is dead silent when I play music.

People seriously shouldn't make a big deal out of something so minor. Wait until you get the Lyr before screaming murder about the hum.

I currently have the Fiio E7/E9 and one of my major gripes about it is the very audible hum that comes out of it. How much less hum does the lyr have compared to the e9?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #585 of 2,392
I have the fiio e7/e9 and my biggest issue with it is sometimes when i dock the e7 to the e9 there is a very clear audible hum. I don't have a problem with the e9 alone, it only occurs when I immediately dock the e7. It usually goes away after a while, and it doesn't happen every time, but most times. If I leave the e7 docked to the e9 for the day it usually doesn't happen. I don't know if that what's happens to you but that is only issue I have with the set up. This is one reason why I am eventually going to upgrade my set up, most likely replace the e7 with another dac and use the e7 for strictly portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back