Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 2, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #482 of 2,392

I've got mine running since yesterday, my impression is exactly the same as Mad Lust Envy, given that we have the same amps.

Lyr is definitely amazing, but I am in fact much more amazed the fact how well E9 have put up for its price!

The design and built quality of Lyr is just top notch, I am very impressed the moment I open up the box and held it in hand, it is very very very solid and stylish too.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #483 of 2,392
I have never listened to the E9 but am impressed that it rates as comparable given its cost is a quarter of the Lyr, which is probably half of what it could be sold for.

My initial impressions of the Lyr were also that it didnt have quite the midrange detail or top end sense of space as my Darkvoice 337 but give the standard tubes time,  They definitely gain more sparkle with time.  It is a little unfair comparison as my Darkvoice has a couple hundred hours on the Tung Sol 5998 tubes so they are silky smooth.  But the bass detail and power improvement from the Lyr straight up was night and day.

The Genelex ECC88 tubes bring this level of detail up to another level again.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #485 of 2,392
If there is one thing that surprised me negatively about the Lyr, is that its the first time I found my D7000 to have recessed mids. Of course, I will have to due a bit more testing.

The Lyr is smooth. I tend to prefer the 'edginess' of the D7000 when running out of everything else, but the Lyr's smoothness is so good, I'm becoming more and more of a fan. Its still fresh out the box, so I look forward to it changing for the better.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #486 of 2,392
Are there any internal shots of the Lyr Schitt? 

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #487 of 2,392
Are the Genelex ECC88 tubes still available?  I did a web search and didn't find any outlets for them.  But I do see several places offering the Genelex Gold Lion E88CC which are shown as an equivalent model.

They are new issue tubes and plentiful as they are still being made.

http://thetubestore.com/goldlione88cc.html

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #488 of 2,392
If there is one thing that surprised me negatively about the Lyr, is that its the first time I found my D7000 to have recessed mids. Of course, I will have to due a bit more testing.

The Lyr is smooth. I tend to prefer the 'edginess' of the D7000 when running out of everything else, but the Lyr's smoothness is so good, I'm becoming more and more of a fan. Its still fresh out the box, so I look forward to it changing for the better.

The D7000s sound fantastic out of my iBasso D4, not really surprising there. Just plug in a pair of HE-6s into an E9 and the Lyr to see the differences. :smile:

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #490 of 2,392
Lol, I know. That's exactly why I didn't expect the Lyr to show me much with the D7000, though people love to say how much the D7000 loves power. Asides from the thickness/meatiness, treble control, and solid bass, I would have to say the D7000 sounds more dynamic and engaging with the E9.

Once I'm clear for the HE-4, that's when I know my Lyr will be justified. That's the reason I even wanted the Lyr...

I would have to say the balance of the Lyr would DEFINITELY suit the DT990s. I almost wanna get them again.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #491 of 2,392
Lol, I know. That's exactly why I didn't expect the Lyr to show me much with the D7000, though people love to say how much the D7000 loves power. Asides from the thickness/meatiness, treble control, and solid bass, I would have to say the D7000 sounds more dynamic and engaging with the E9.

Once I'm clear for the HE-4, that's when I know my Lyr will be justified. That's the reason I even wanted the Lyr...

I would have to say the balance of the Lyr would DEFINITELY suit the DT990s. I almost wanna get them again.

What tubes are you running on the Lyr? The sound signature you're mentioning is classic JJ tubes.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #492 of 2,392
It does suit the DT990/600's VERY well. I've listened to the Lyr with my D2000's, HD 600's and DT990's - and I keep coming back to the 990's :) Very dynamic and musical.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #493 of 2,392
Are the Genelex ECC88 tubes still available?  I did a web search and didn't find any outlets for them.  But I do see several places offering the Genelex Gold Lion E88CC which are shown as an equivalent model.

http://thetubestore.com/goldlionecc83.html

Just to avoid confusion, that link is to the ECC83, which is NOT usable in the Lyr. Genelex is only currently making the E88CC/6922, and not an ECC88/6DJ8, I believe.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #494 of 2,392

http://thetubestore.com/goldlionecc83.html

Just to avoid confusion, that link is to the ECC83, which is NOT usable in the Lyr. Genelex is only currently making the E88CC/6922, and not an ECC88/6DJ8, I believe.

Sorry Rob...you are correct....this is the link I meant to use:

http://thetubestore.com/goldlione88cc.html

Too late for me on a Saturday night...how pathetic is that? :confused:

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #495 of 2,392
I hear ya, buddy - I'm ready for bed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back