Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #466 of 2,392
Im definately getting a tiny bit of hiss and a light buzz if you listen super duper close. Its a non factor for me and it only happens with my M50's so far. Stock tubes.

EDIT: Actually Id say there is quite a bit of racquet being made by the M50's. This is all tested with no music playing though. With the music it is just audible in the quiet parts.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #467 of 2,392
I've had my Lyr a few days and it seems like a great amp. It is very silent with my LCD 2 and HD 650. However, I have a pretty good hum going with my DX 1000, D 2000 and HF 2. The owners manual states to correct a hum noise, one might try  a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter on either the Lyr or your source. I've tried this and it helps but there is still some hum. Anybody else having this experience?

On another note, the Lyr sounds fantastic with the LCD 2. A nice improvement over my woo audio 6m.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #468 of 2,392

Quote:
I've had my Lyr a few days and it seems like a great amp. It is very silent with my LCD 2 and HD 650. However, I have a pretty good hum going with my DX 1000, D 2000 and HF 2. The owners manual states to correct a hum noise, one might try  a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter on either the Lyr or your source. I've tried this and it helps but there is still some hum. Anybody else having this experience?

On another note, the Lyr sounds fantastic with the LCD 2. A nice improvement over my woo audio 6m.

I hear faint hum when I crank it wide open with no input.  Below 3 o'oclock, no hum.  With any input at all, no hum.  No hiss under any circumstance.  

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #469 of 2,392

Quote:

What about on the HD650s? That's the only good set I have, though I do want to go to an Audez'e model (probably will have the LCD-3 out by the time I can get one). I want to get an amp to pair up with the HD650s, and have been considering the Valhalla and WA6, but the Lyr just seems especially awesome--my choice keeps going back to it. I love that you can roll tubes on this Schiit model, and would be futureproofing for an LCD2 or perhaps 3!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #470 of 2,392
  1. Pseudohippy,

Cool.  Thanks for testing this for me!  Hopefully it will be a non-issue for me as I don't plan on using those cans with this amp.  Just the only thing I had around to make sure everything was up and running :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #471 of 2,392

Quote:
I hear faint hum when I crank it wide open with no input.  Below 3 o'oclock, no hum.  With any input at all, no hum.  No hiss under any circumstance.  

This is exactly what Im getting with my MS2i at the moment. The M50's just dont need an amp like this Im afraid. Although, they dont make hiss on the WA2. Problem is they are way to dark with the WA2 and the tubes Im running anyhow.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #472 of 2,392

Quote:

What about on the HD650s? That's the only good set I have, though I do want to go to an Audez'e model (probably will have the LCD-3 out by the time I can get one). I want to get an amp to pair up with the HD650s, and have been considering the Valhalla and WA6, but the Lyr just seems especially awesome--my choice keeps going back to it. I love that you can roll tubes on this Schiit model, and would be futureproofing for an LCD2 or perhaps 3!

The Lyr and the 650's sounded real good but I have only spent a short time with that combo and can't at this time draw any conclusions between the lyr and my woo audio 6.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #473 of 2,392
Great ot hear that the Lyr is so well received! Just curious, would you rather keep the lyr or the wa2 if you're driving both the lcd-2 and the hd800? Is the increase in performance for the hd800 on the wa2 significant from the lyr?

Thanks in advance!

If I only owned the LCD-2s and HD800s, I would have stuck with my WA2. But since the HE-6s arrived, the Lyr was a necessity.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #474 of 2,392
I hope there's more tube rolling discussion forthcoming!

I just ordered the Genalex based on people's feedback here.  This is my first tube amp, and the Lyr already sounds so good with the JJs that I'm curious how the sound will change (for better or for worse) upon tube rolling.  Would love to hear from people who have tried Siemens, Mullards, Amperexes, etc.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #475 of 2,392
My Lyr came in today, and of course I missed the delivery. Gotta wait until tomorrow. Not that I can truly give them a proper setup yet. :rolleyes:

Still, expecting good things.

Can't wait to hear how the KSC75 siiiings through the Lyr. I'm dedserios :D

Gonna be testing the M50s I sold to my roomie as well.

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #476 of 2,392
I tried the lyr with hd600 at an audio shop. While there was no hum with no music playing, I could hear some hissing whenever the volume knob is turned up. it stops once the volume has been set. I understand that they were using stock tubes.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #477 of 2,392
I hope there's more tube rolling discussion forthcoming!

I just ordered the Genalex based on people's feedback here.  This is my first tube amp, and the Lyr already sounds so good with the JJs that I'm curious how the sound will change (for better or for worse) upon tube rolling.  Would love to hear from people who have tried Siemens, Mullards, Amperexes, etc.

There are some user comments about the Sylvania tubes too in this thread earlier I am fairly sure.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #478 of 2,392

Quote:
I tried the lyr with hd600 at an audio shop. While there was no hum with no music playing, I could hear some hissing whenever the volume knob is turned up. it stops once the volume has been set. I understand that they were using stock tubes.

Some bad tubes or something I have HD650's and the Lyr is silent at any position on the dial with them.
I have about 40 hours on my Lyr

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #479 of 2,392
Got my Lyr today. Quickly set all my Schiit up.

First setup: Sansa Fuze V2 - LOD - 3.5mm to RCA cable - Lyr

First test: D7000

Those with Denons have no fear. I have to put the Lyr at around 11 o clock on the pot to get it to my preferred volume, at least with source like the Fuze. That's actually a very teeny bit MORE than where I put the volume pot on my Fiio E9 on HIGH gain.

Initial impressions? Awesome. I didn't expect any less. I haven't A/B'd them against the E9 yet, but I can already tell the Lyr sounds just a smidge warmer but more analytical. Keep in mind this is just off my Fuze. I still need a lot more testing.

Edit: quick A/B.

Fuze V2 - LOD - E9 - RCA Line Out - Lyr (still sounds the same as running the Fuze straight to the Lyr).

This way I can just plug my D7000 to the E9 or Lyr on the fly.

The E9 has slightly more treble energy. I'm gonna assume its because of SS vs Hybrid Tubes. Also, the Lyr is definitely a bit thicker...more meaty, while the E9 has a drier sound. I'd say the E9 is more musical, IMHO. The E9 sounds fantastic to me still. The difference is more personal presence and not technical inferiority to me. SS vs Tubes, that sort of thing. I'm glad that I own both.

Hum with the D7000? Yes, but its SO low, there's no way you'd hear it with any music.

The build quality is stupid sick. You could KILL with how strong the build is. VERY impressed.

Further impressions to come, with some very unscientific A/B comparison.

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #480 of 2,392
More impressions and comparisons.

The E9 might just best the Lyr for me when it comes to the midrange. On both the D7000 and PC360, the mids were sweeter on the E9. They sounded a little too polite on the Lyr by comparison.

Damn, its hard to choose. The Lyr is the safer choice for people. It won't get close to sibilance whereas the E9 might on certain recordings. The bass on the E9 isn't as impactful, but less controlled than on the Lyr, which has EXCELLENT bass refinement. The midrange/vocals sounds more involved on the E9. The Lyr is definitely easier on the ears for those sensitive to treble and sounds more refined here as well.

So its a bit of a toss up for me at the moment. It sounds more balanced on the Lyr. It's more musical on the E9.

So yeah, its weird. More bass boom, mids sound more sweet and treble is sparklier at similar volumes on the E9. The Lyr has more bass impact, less boom, mids and treble are more fleshed out but less energetic, but the treble sounds better.

If people ever find the Lyr sibilant, the E9 will be even moreso.

So far, I do prefer the D7000 with the Lyr, by a small margin. The thickness has swayed me towards the Lyr. It sounds fuller.

With the PC360, I prefer the E9 by a considerable margin. It highlights the PC360's mids. Noticably better than the Lyr to me.

YMMV, and I will say that they are both awesome amps. Synergy is gonna play a bigger role from what I can tell.

I didn't get the Lyr for just the D7000, but I'm surprised that even though its warmer, the D7000 still sounds crisp, clear, and engaging. I wouldn't justify buying the Lyr over the E9 for the D7000, but I didn't get the Lyr for those to begin with.

I know people are gonna say the Lyr deserves a better source to shine, but the same can be said of the E9. They are still on equal ground in terms of the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back