Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #451 of 2,392

Quote:
I have tried out my T1s on my Lyr and if you're looking for a sub $500 amp, this is a great choice. But I do prefer my WA2 (with upgraded tubes: 5998 Tung-Sol power tubes, CV2492 Mullard Driver tubes and EZ80 Mullard rectifier tubes) with my T1s (and HD800s for that matter). The WA2 is the best amp I've heard the T1s with to date.

No surprise there, the WA2 is a lovely amp.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #452 of 2,392

Jack certainly makes some wonderful products. :smile: But as surprised as I was on how well the WA2 drove my HE-6s, the Lyr was definitely a cut above and a far more appropriate amping solution (for both orthos).

What tubes are you using right now?

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #453 of 2,392
Great ot hear that the Lyr is so well received! Just curious, would you rather keep the lyr or the wa2 if you're driving both the lcd-2 and the hd800? Is the increase in performance for the hd800 on the wa2 significant from the lyr?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #454 of 2,392
Hey guys, just got some quick feedback from Schiit saying that the M50's efficiency might be the issue with the noise floor/hiss I hear. Anyone have a pair or something similar in efficiency that they can try for me? I want to make sure the hiss I heart is normal. Won't have orthos for a while.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #455 of 2,392

Quote:
Hey guys, just got some quick feedback from Schiit saying that the M50's efficiency might be the issue with the noise floor/hiss I hear. Anyone have a pair or something similar in efficiency that they can try for me? I want to make sure the hiss I heart is normal. Won't have orthos for a while.

I can try with mine tonight if you want. Honestly, Ive never really plugged them in but for a minute for fun. They are more of a portable phone to me. I pretty much just use them on the road. Im not surprised at all that they might hiss though. This amp has a high gain and even with my Arrow if I turn the gain up they hiss quite a bit.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #456 of 2,392
I can try with mine tonight if you want. Honestly, Ive never really plugged them in but for a minute for fun. They are more of a portable phone to me. I pretty much just use them on the road. Im not surprised at all that they might hiss though. This amp has a high gain and even with my Arrow if I turn the gain up they hiss quite a bit.

Hey that would be awesome! Just want to make sure everything is good on my amp

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #457 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

Hey that would be awesome! Just want to make sure everything is good on my amp

I gotta ask though. Apparently some people say static and hiss are completely different. To me they are the same basically. When are you hearing the hiss so I can recreate it the same. Are you hearing it with no source connected and the volume half up, or not up at all. Basically give me a test I can perform and try to describe the hiss a little. Ill be home and testing in about 3hours.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #458 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:

Jack certainly makes some wonderful products.
smile.gif
But as surprised as I was on how well the WA2 drove my HE-6s, the Lyr was definitely a cut above and a far more appropriate amping solution (for both orthos).

What tubes are you using right now?

I'm running the stock JJs as I peruse the alternate possibilities.  I want to give them enough time to hit their stride before I really evaluate the amp.

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #459 of 2,392

Quote:

I've got a couple of high efficiency cans that I can try, but I won't get to it until tonight.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #460 of 2,392
The hiss I hear is constant and source independent. It is noticeable especially during quiet passages.
Also it doesn't change as I increase or decrease the volume. Wish I had other cans but I'm still waiting. I would assume folks with akg 70x might hear it since they seem fairly sensitive. But I've seen no comments suggesting this.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #461 of 2,392

Quote:
The hiss I hear is constant and source independent. It is noticeable especially during quiet passages.
Also it doesn't change as I increase or decrease the volume. Wish I had other cans but I'm still waiting. I would assume folks with akg 70x might hear it since they seem fairly sensitive. But I've seen no comments suggesting this.

Gotcha, Ill post up in a few hours. I know exactly what you are talking about since my M50s do the exact same thing with my Arrow. Im also curious if they do it with the Lyr.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #462 of 2,392

Quote:

Nope, the K701s are silent out of the Lyr.  No hiss.  They are not a sensitive can.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #463 of 2,392
Sounds like DaNus may have gotten some noisy tubes.  Wouldn't be the first noisy pair of JJ's in the world, I can promise you that.

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #464 of 2,392
I havent got any hissing with the K702 Lyr combo. 

Quote:

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #465 of 2,392
Skylab,

Thanks for weighing in.  This is only my second amp with tubes.  The first one I had was very silent.  Would there be any other indicators?  I did notice when I powered the unit down this morning, it made an odd sound (similar to turning off an old CRT  TV) through the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back