Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 1, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #436 of 2,392
I just picked up my Lyr, and lo and behold, they seem to have shipped me the 115V version, not the 230V I ordered. Haven't dared plug it in since I fear it will blow a fuse. They shipped to correct europlug cable, but I think the amp is 115V. Seriously annoyed now, especially since my LCD-2's seems to arrive tomorrow :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #437 of 2,392
Maybe there is an internal switch or the transformer has wiring for 115 or 230. ?

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #438 of 2,392
Phew, after contacting Jason and him looking in to the matter, it seemed like they just managed to put the wrong voltage sticker on the amp. It works fine when I turned it on, I guess the fuse would have blown immediately if it indeed were a 115V version. Kudos to Jason and his gang, I got email replies just a few minutes after I sent my first distressmail :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #439 of 2,392

Quote:
Phew, after contacting Jason and him looking in to the matter, it seemed like they just managed to put the wrong voltage sticker on the amp. It works fine when I turned it on, I guess the fuse would have blown immediately if it indeed were a 115V version. Kudos to Jason and his gang, I got email replies just a few minutes after I sent my first distressmail :)

Fantastic! I look forward to reading what you hear. I would love to get one of these. I need to get off this island. 

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #440 of 2,392
My Lyr, HE-4s, Gold Lion tubes are all in the mail, and I just sent in my order for an NFB-3.

My brain might pop once I get everything hooked up and listen to Anneke van Geirsbergen...

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #441 of 2,392
Has anyone noticed the noise floor on this amp?  I just received mine and I am noticing a constant hiss at all volume levels with the only current cans I have (Audio Technica M50's).  I tried different sources to rule that out as an issue.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #442 of 2,392

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the noise floor on this amp?  I just received mine and I am noticing a constant hiss at all volume levels with the only current cans I have (Audio Technica M50's).  I tried different sources to rule that out as an issue.

I don't have a pair of M50s to test here, but there is no hiss audible with any of the headphones I've plugged in to mine thus far.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #444 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
After the amp/tubes get some hours on them, I will post my eval of how it does with the K-1000s in that thread.  So far, I've never heard my K-1000s sound better and I also have the SAC K-1000 amp made for them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496436/audeze-lcd2-vs-akg-k1000

Great comments Kevin. Glad you're enjoying the Lyr. It is my new "go to" ortho amp. It proved to me that both the LCD-2 and HE-6 really need a lot of power to reveal what they can really do. Both opened up quite a bit to reveal just how good they can sound.

I'm looking forward to more of your Lyr + LCD-2 thoughts.
smile.gif

Hey MacedonianHero, how do the Lyr compare with the youra  Woo Audio WA2 and Concerto with the LCD-2. I know the WA2 are most expensive and the Concerto is SS, I'm just curious about those two amps. Cheers

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #446 of 2,392

Quote:
Hey MacedonianHero, how do the Lyr compare with the youra  Woo Audio WA2 and Concerto with the LCD-2. I know the WA2 are most expensive and the Concerto is SS, I'm just curious about those two amps. Cheers

Both the Concerto and the WA2 would seem anemic compared to the Lyr.  The Woo is the stronger of the two, but still doesn't have anywhere near the punch of the Lyr, IMO.  The more demanding the headphone, the more apparent the differences become.  Driving a more suitable load for the WA2, like the T1, one may observe different results.  I haven't heard the T1 on the Lyr yet, so I can't call that one.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #449 of 2,392
Has anyone had extensive experience witht the Lyr paired with the Beyer T1?

I tried it out today and it was good enough for me to place an order for one. (the amp)

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #450 of 2,392
Both the Concerto and the WA2 would seem anemic compared to the Lyr.  The Woo is the stronger of the two, but still doesn't have anywhere near the punch of the Lyr, IMO.  The more demanding the headphone, the more apparent the differences become.  Driving a more suitable load for the WA2, like the T1, one may observe different results.  I haven't heard the T1 on the Lyr yet, so I can't call that one.

Agreed again Kevin. :smile: I would say that the Concerto is the most "polite" sounding amp with the LCD-2s. The WA2 sounds more full and while not up to the same level with the Lyr, it is a darn good match for the LCD-2s. But in the end, I prefer the Lyr with both my HE-6s and LCD-2s. As I've mentioned, after hearing both the HE-6 and LCD-2 with 4 Watts of power, I have come to the conclusion that these orthos really need a lot of power to reveal what they can really do.

I have tried out my T1s on my Lyr and if you're looking for a sub $500 amp, this is a great choice. But I do prefer my WA2 (with upgraded tubes: 5998 Tung-Sol power tubes, CV2492 Mullard Driver tubes and EZ80 Mullard rectifier tubes) with my T1s (and HD800s for that matter). The WA2 is the best amp I've heard the T1s with to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back