Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Mar 9, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #166 of 2,392

Quote:
Had a bit of ground loop hum last night and will have to find a cheater cable to see if it fixes the problem. I can tell that beyond the low level noise, the amp sounds very robust and powers the LCD2 with ease.

The other thing is that unless your fingers are made of toughened Linguini, it is extremely difficult to remove tubes. Is there such a thing as tube forceps :)

Yes, there are/were tube pullers back in the day.  Don't know if they're still available.
http://www.stevenjohnson.com/tubepinst.htm  Check out the tube gizmo.

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #167 of 2,392

Quote:
It's not about the continuous power.  It's about the power reserves to give you undistorted short term dynamics...a loud sharp snare drum, for example.  You may not need more than say 750mW in 90% of the passages, but then the amp may be called upon to deliver 3W for an instant.  The Lyr, theoretically, would handle that with aplomb, while a 1W RMS amp would clip and distort. 

Yup...dynamic headroom is very very important for transient peaks and demanding sustained crescendos where a normal (less powerful) amp would run into compression issues and run out of steam during peak demands over a longer period of time (say a second or two..or three or four). This amp is intriguing to say the least, good to see Schiit reacting to the needs of the headfi crowd as new can designs demand HQ creative flexible amping solutions. I bet a set of NOS Amperex white/orange label 7308 gold pins would be a very tasty match with this amp.

For 449USD this is a great deal. It's the same price as the old Bada PH-12 and likely has none of the PH-12's documented issues ( excessive heat causing premature part failure ).

Is there a way to lower the gain on the Lyr (citing the concern using it with a hot source and low impedance cans) or is that a non concern with cans over 120 ohms ?

Peete.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #170 of 2,392

Quote:
Yup...dynamic headroom is very very important for transient peaks and demanding sustained crescendos where a normal (less powerful) amp would run into compression issues and run out of steam during peak demands over a longer period of time (say a second or two..or three or four). This amp is intriguing to say the least, good to see Schiit reacting to the needs of the headfi crowd as new can designs demand HQ creative flexible amping solutions. I bet a set of NOS Amperex white/orange label 7308 gold pins would be a very tasty match with this amp.

For 449USD this is a great deal. It's the same price as the old Bada PH-12 and likely has none of the PH-12's documented issues ( excessive heat causing premature part failure ).

Is there a way to lower the gain on the Lyr (citing the concern using it with a hot source and low impedance cans) or is that a non concern with cans over 120 ohms ?

Peete.

How about using in line attenuators?  Used to be commercial versions in -3dB and -10dB flavors.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #171 of 2,392

Quote:
Haven't found anything on the net yet. Very cool though. Thanks Kevin.

I plan to use a couple of pieces of Gorilla duct tape to extract them when the amp arrives.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #173 of 2,392
Here's a few at Parts Express.  Never tried them myself though.

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #174 of 2,392

Quote:
No need.  Tubes are packed in their own little box with foam.  One of the nice things about the packing of the amp for shipping.

Yeah, but I meant to pull the tubes for rolling...

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #175 of 2,392
Mar 9, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #176 of 2,392
Quote:
... The other thing is that unless your fingers are made of toughened Linguini, it is extremely difficult to remove tubes. Is there such a thing as tube forceps :)

I believe I read in some thread that Jason said future runs will have some additional beveling around the tubes to give more room to grab and that the Schiit guys use some kind of rubber tubing to pull those tubes ... what kind I have no idea!

Edit:  Here it is --  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions/60#post_7317620

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #178 of 2,392

Quote:

The other thing is that unless your fingers are made of toughened Linguini, it is extremely difficult to remove tubes. Is there such a thing as tube forceps :)

Find a "chinese finger" that will fit over the diameter of the tube.
Problem with most of the bamboo ones are that they are too small, made for a kids finger.
There are stainless steel wire braid models used for pulling large diameter wire cable in conduit.
They were also used in the "old days" for pulling tubes out of tight places in radios and tv sets.
One must be careful when pulling the tube with a wire chinese finger.
It can break the glass if too much upward pulling force is exerted.
You should also initiate a slight side to side rocking motion on the top of the tube with the other hand while pulling up.
And it goes without saying (but I am saying it) that the amp should be turned off and unplugged when doing this kind of work.
Also wait for a few minutes after unplugging for any internal power capacitors to auto-discharge before sticking metal things inside the chassis.

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #179 of 2,392
I believe that it has also been mentioned in this thread that the foam wrap-arounds that the stock Lyr tubes are packed with can be helpful for extracting tubes out of it, so hold onto that foam (in more ways than one) !

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #180 of 2,392
Is anyone getting a faint buzz from the LYR? With my Sennheiser HD650 and HD380, I can hear a faint buzz / hum coming from the amp (more so with the HD380) even when the volume is turned completely down. It seems the buzz doesn't get louder or softer when the volume is adjusted. It's a constant soft buzz that only goes off when the amp is off. I've tried plugging my LYR directly into a wall socket by itself (it's a twin wall socket and the other socket is empty) and without any cables connected to it (except for the power cable, of course) and the buzz is still there. I've tested with the default JJ tubes as well as a pair of Sylvania 6DJ8s and the results are the same. Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back