Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Apr 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #526 of 2,392

Quote:
So now what tubes to get now Im more confused than ever I hope the The Gold Lion's sound good.

• Look at your source.
  • Let it burn in fully before rolling tubes.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #527 of 2,392

• Look at your source.

3 different sources, same outcome. The Lyr is more polite than the E9. Doesn't matter what I plug it into. Its not major difference, but it is there. But I mentioned before, the E9 sounds artificially boosted for its aggressiveness. The Lyr's natural tone sounds higher quality.

The stock tubes are getting noticably better. I probably won't want to roll to fix anything.

My initial impressions were just that, initial.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #528 of 2,392

Quote:
Quote:
  • Look at your source.

3 different sources, same outcome. The Lyr is more polite than the E9. Doesn't matter what I plug it into. Its not major difference, but it is there.

The stock tubes are getting noticably better. I probably won't want to roll to fix anything.

My initial impressions were just that, initial.

It may be that the Lyr will never achieve the level of graininess and edginess that your E9 has.  That would be by design.  Let it burn in more before you decide anything.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #529 of 2,392
Agreed. E9's has an edgy and slightly artificial tone, while Lyr is smooth and realistic. There's no mistaking which sounds more hi-fi. Lyr means business, and business is picking up. :wink:

Damn, I can't wait until I get the HE-4... sigh.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #530 of 2,392
Having extra (listenable) volume on the knob is a must. Seems the Lyr does that well for most every can out there according to reviews.

The HE-4 should be right at home.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #531 of 2,392
I was just thinking - many of these same sorts of comments - 'not fast enough', 'boring', etc. came when the Asgard hit the streets. I own both Asgard and Lyr and they do share a similar signature - with Lyr being way more dynamic and a bit warmer (which makes sense, tubes and all). I've come to believe that these sorts of comments are often an individuals attempt to describe the classic 'class A' sound. My VHP-2 sounded 'faster' to me too at first. Lots of A/B listening between the two come down to the VHP-2 being grainier and edger. I was hearing the 'edge' to notes more. The notes we're arriving at the same time, just with a harder edge on the VHP-2.

I ramble. My core thought here is - while they'll be lots of words offered up to describe what people are hearing, a large part of listeners contentment with Lyr will come down to whether you enjoy the sound of a class a topology amp.

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #532 of 2,392
I was just thinking - many of these same sorts of comments - 'not fast enough', 'boring', etc. came when the Asgard hit the streets. I own both Asgard and Lyr and they do share a similar signature - with Lyr being way more dynamic and a bit warmer (which makes sense, tubes and all). I've come to believe that these sorts of comments are often an individuals attempt to describe the classic 'class A' sound. My VHP-2 sounded 'faster' to me too at first. Lots of A/B listening between the two come down to the VHP-2 being grainier and edger. I was hearing the 'edge' to notes more. The notes we're arriving at the same time, just with a harder edge on the VHP-2.

I ramble. My core thought here is - while they'll be lots of words offered up to describe what people are hearing, a large part of listeners contentment with Lyr will come down to whether you enjoy the sound of a class a topology amp.

This is my first amp with tubes. I just assumed that tubes don't have the same graininess and edge as strictly op-amp only based amps by nature.

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #535 of 2,392

Quote:http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/10.html
On the preamp outputs: "The Lyr's pre-outs are amplified and controlled by the volume pot, i.e. not pass-thrus. Relative to high-power preamps that would be a bit of a misnomer though. Preamps almost always have some series resistance in the output. In Lyr's case that's 75Ω. Other than a relatively low-impedance output to drive long cable runs, a high-power preamp would have no real benefit I know of." 

Looks good to me.

Quote:
Quick question: can the Lyr serve as a preamp for active studio monitors?  I know it has rca out but haven't heard of any one connecting speakers yet

Apr 4, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #536 of 2,392
Reading over some of the tube rolling discussion, it sounds like if I'm looking for a little more soundstage and warmth for pairing with LCD-2s the gold lions would be a solid choice?

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #537 of 2,392

Quote:

Whats the general consensus for burning in the tubes? just curious if there is one I have about 60-70 hours on my Lyr

Don't know about the JJ's as I did not care for them and were replaced almost immediately. The Lyr itself needs a good 48 to 72 hours to start settling in though. I'd give it at least that for starting any critical analysis.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #538 of 2,392

Quote:
Reading over some of the tube rolling discussion, it sounds like if I'm looking for a little more soundstage and warmth for pairing with LCD-2s the gold lions would be a solid choice?

I'm hoping that the gold lions give more soundstage myself the warmth would be nice now Im waiting on a new DAC and the LCD's and the gold lions ohh dear.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #540 of 2,392
Interesting how this amp is being actively compared with 100 dollar amplifiers and 1000 dollar amplifiers.... makes me wonder what's going on.

We're comparing AMPING, not headphones which will have the most obvious affect to the sound. What's wrong with comparisons? Since when has the price of audio equipment reflected the sound quality? As far as I'm concerned, audio equipment is overrpriced on a regular basis. I've seen plenty of stuff price in the $200 or so range that is known to compete with stuff worth 5x as much.

The main benefit I see in something like the Lyr is raw power for the hard to drive stuff, refinement over what I have, ability to roll tubes, and build quality, among other subtle things. I didn't expect miraculous changes over what I have, at least with headphones that the majority of amps can already handle.

I think the price of admission is well worth it for the Lyr. Normally, I would have expected an amp like this to cost over $1000 given how versatile it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back