Schiit Lyr for HD800?
Sep 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eliben85

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers

came here for some advise before I go ahead and spend $500 of hard earned money on a headphone amp. 

I currently own an HD-800 and use a Grant Fidelity TubeDac-11 as an Amp/Dac. 
Clearly, not the Ideal amplification for my headphones. 
Now, after a whole lot of reading here and elsewhere I pretty much concluded that the Lyr will provide the best value for money at this price range (can't go any higher). this is mainly based on costumer reviews I have seen and on 6moon's review of the Lyr lineup and on technical specs. it seems to be the most powerful amp out there at this price range (about 450mW at 300ohm if I got it right). 6moon actually claim it would be a better match than the Burson HD160 which is a benchmark amp from what I gather. 

Any advise? suggestions? before I go ahead and make my order. i'm basically looking for feedback on the Lyr and wondering if anyone thinks there are better alternatives at the $500 price range.

Looking forward for some feedback here :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 6
More than enough juice, nice and dynamic is what I remember when I owned the Lyr. But hardly the last word in terms of ideal pairing for the HD800s. For the price to performance ratio, hard to beat. But in terms of pure performance, not so hard to beat. 
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Try Bottlehead Crack, I hear it pairs well with HD800. If you have $500 you could save a little bit more money then buy the Woo Audio WA2 which will sound great. I hear good things about the Burson HA-160 (right around $500 used) if you like solid state sound. Now if your not dead set on HD800 look at Koss ESP-950, they come with there own amp and many people find those headphones to be the best under $1000. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Try Bottlehead Crack, I hear it pairs well with HD800. If you have $500 you could save a little bit more money then buy the Woo Audio WA2 which will sound great. I hear good things about the Burson HA-160 (right around $500 used) if you like solid state sound. Now if your not dead set on HD800 look at Koss ESP-950, they come with there own amp and many people find those headphones to be the best under $1000. 

Woo Audio WA2 is a great match for the HD800, (it's what I use) still not the best, but it's a solid step up from the Lyr, great bang for buck. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back