Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,946 of 6,468
No news about the vanilla Jot and what can be intergrated beside dac and phono? How about turning it into hybrid tube with that space?

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #3,948 of 6,468
No news about the vanilla Jot and what can be intergrated beside dac and phono? How about turning it into hybrid tube with that space?

I'd be happy if they added another line input module. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,949 of 6,468
Joti in the house.

Some quality issues there though - missing chassis markings for the SE input and for low gain. One switch is also shorter than the other and they don't align perfectly. I think I can live with that but kind of disappointing.

Sounds good otherwise!

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,950 of 6,468

I'd be happy if they added another line input module. 

Me too.  That would be a cheap and easy additional option for the Jot...

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #3,951 of 6,468
  @NPWS, I think the choice of amp might also depend on the headphones that you have, when I tried my HD800, HD700 and T1 on a Jot it was
eek.gif
cool.gif
​.  The Liquid Carbon pairs much better with these headphones, but they are even better with a tube amp, BH Crack, Elise, Liquid Glass or MicroZOTL2.  But for the HD650 and LCD2.2 I can see the Jot as being a great amp for them.

@chowmein83, agree with your impressions but to me the differences can be more noticeable with different headphones.

@DavidA which differences are you specifically referring to? I think I may be hearing the same differences as you are, it's just that now I tend to understate these differences rather than potentially overstating them.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3,952 of 6,468

@DavidA which differences are you specifically referring to? I think I may be hearing the same differences as you are, it's just that now I tend to understate these differences rather than potentially overstating them.

mainly the brightness of the Jot and the sound stage differences between the Jot and LC.  Only reason I say that the brightness differences are not that subtle is every one that I know who compared the Jot and LC its the first thing they notice on the HD800 or T1, the same goes for the sound stage where the LC has much better positional audio than the Jot.  I wouldn't call these huge or life altering but I also wouldn't call it subtle either.

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,953 of 6,468
  mainly the brightness of the Jot and the sound stage differences between the Jot and LC.  Only reason I say that the brightness differences are not that subtle is every one that I know who compared the Jot and LC its the first thing they notice on the HD800 or T1, the same goes for the sound stage where the LC has much better positional audio than the Jot.  I wouldn't call these huge or life altering but I also wouldn't call it subtle either.

With my Ether C Flows, the Jot doesn't sound bright, it's the LC that sounds warm, at least relative to my 2-channel system (see my sig for details). As for sound stage, I don't hear much of a difference between the Jot and the LC. I'm wondering if sound stage perception differences might not be also a result of headphone/amp (mis)match.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,954 of 6,468
I see from the Head-fi Deals thread that the KORG USB DSD-AC-100 desktop DAC with balanced outputs is on sale through Amazon 3rd Party seller for $150

DSD capable, MULTIBIT CS4398 chip...USB only.   Looks like a choice to consider if you want a cheap DAC with balanced outs for your Joty and only need USB sources.  

The included Audiogate 4 software provides the option of converting files to DSD on the fly.  Some think that is a good thing.  

NOTE: I am updating this post because I was confused by Korg's product page. It describes the DSD-AC-100 as single bit because of course, All DSD is single bit...but the DAC inside is a top of the line Multi-bit CS4398 chip.   So, $150 for a Mulit-bit DAC is pretty good. 

Review describing the chipset in the AC-100: http://www.audiostream.com/content/korg-audiogate-ds-dac-100-high-resolution-audio-playback-system#E8hcV5mkAqeD3TpT.97

Product sheet on the CS 4398 DAC chip:  http://alsa-project.org/~james/datasheets/www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS4398-2.pdf 

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,958 of 6,468
  I see from the Head-fi Deals thread that the KORG USB DSD-AC-100 desktop DAC with balanced outputs is on sale through Amazon 3rd Party seller for $150

DSD capable, MULTIBIT CS4398 chip...USB only.   Looks like a choice to consider if you want a cheap DAC with balanced outs for your Joty and only need USB sources.  

The included Audiogate 4 software provides the option of converting files to DSD on the fly.  Some think that is a good thing.  

NOTE: I am updating this post because I was confused by Korg's product page. It describes the DSD-AC-100 as single bit because of course, All DSD is single bit...but the DAC inside is a top of the line Multi-bit CS4398 chip.   So, $150 for a Mulit-bit DAC is pretty good. 

Review describing the chipset in the AC-100: http://www.audiostream.com/content/korg-audiogate-ds-dac-100-high-resolution-audio-playback-system#E8hcV5mkAqeD3TpT.97

Product sheet on the CS 4398 DAC chip:  http://alsa-project.org/~james/datasheets/www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS4398-2.pdf 

The CS4398 was a Multibit Delta sigma DAC, the topology is still delta sigma. Most of the time in the schiit related threads, the term "Multibit" are referring to Multibit R2R topology.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #3,959 of 6,468

The CS4398 was a Multibit Delta sigma DAC, the topology is still delta sigma. Most of the time in the schiit related threads, the term "Multibit" are referring to Multibit R2R topology.

It's probably a 6-bit delta sigma DAC. It still makes music through noise shaping techniques.

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #3,960 of 6,468

I actually totally agree with you on the soundstage part - perhaps I understated this too much. As for the brightness, I think we're hearing the same thing - again, maybe I was understating this difference a bit too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back