Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 27, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,412 of 6,469
  I have had some initial issues with hum/noise with my Jot, on high gain and nothing playing with the knob at anything past 1:00 I can hear a noticeable hiss.  This was not present when I used my Magni 2 Uber even if I tuned the volume to max.

Anyway to cut a long story short I had both USB & Optical connected to my Multibit via my PC, it turns out unplugging the USB from the DAC solved the problem, noise and hum gone!

The noise / hum was present even with Optical selected on the DAC...

Classic electrical noise down the USB cable problems, by the sounds of it- RFI/EMI and maybe some ground loop issues. Try some different sources first, to see if it's just a specific problematic one. Some USB sources are extremely noisy and poorly-behaved, and not everything has massive galvanic isolation on its input. It's annoying!

If all else fails, you can try a decrapifier like the Wyrd, which will completely isolate the DAC's USB in from the USB VBus coming out of the source.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,416 of 6,469
  Anyone know what volume pot they use in the Jot?  It feels very nice, even maybe Alps RK27 nice...

From the product FAQ: "a big 27mm Alps 4-gang balanced pot".

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,418 of 6,469

From the product FAQ: "a big 27mm Alps 4-gang balanced pot".

Jason stated in a post that having way too many of these pots from the original MJ1 in stock was the impetus to design the Jotunheim.

I wonder what other parts they may have too many of laying around that Mike or Jason could build a new product around.  The Jotunhiem sure turned out great...

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #1,419 of 6,469
  I have had some initial issues with hum/noise with my Jot, on high gain and nothing playing with the knob at anything past 1:00 I can hear a noticeable hiss.  This was not present when I used my Magni 2 Uber even if I tuned the volume to max.

Anyway to cut a long story short I had both USB & Optical connected to my Multibit via my PC, it turns out unplugging the USB from the DAC solved the problem, noise and hum gone!

The noise / hum was present even with Optical selected on the DAC...

Sounds like a ground loop is the most likely problem. This can be solved by trying out a few things. All power plugs should be connected to the same power strip. Sometimes lifting the third wire prong from the power plug of one of the devices will solve this as well.

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,420 of 6,469
  Jason stated in a post that having way too many of these pots from the original MJ1 in stock was the impetus to design the Jotunheim.

I wonder what other parts they may have too many of lying around that Mike or Jason could build a new product around.  The Jotunhiem sure turned out great...

The guts of some R2R DACs.. enough to make a smaller balanced DAC..? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,423 of 6,469
Got to hear the Jot with internal DAC recently and compared it to my Mimby.

Mimby is obviously going to be better than the internal DAC. And SE connection makes no difference to a balanced HP cable. A balanced HP connection gives more power/control over the driver.

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,424 of 6,469
  Wich would be the best option; Jot with built in dac or a Modi MB on top of it? Would I gain getting a balanced cable for my he-560 if I get the SE connection to the external dac? 

Modi MB, and you can use balanced or SE output regardless of what input you're using.

Whether you'll hear a difference, though? Dunno

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #1,425 of 6,469
My Jotunheim's just been delivered a couple hours ago, thus far I definitely agree with Jason's assertion that the best way to describe it is "characterless". It's powerful enough to let every pair of headphones I own shine through with their strengths (and weaknesses). Seems to be an incredible match with the HD650 because it has more than enough brute force (balanced at least, not tried SE) to push them where they need to go whilst lifting most of the infamous veil. Sounds appropriate with HE-400S, latest rev LCD-2s and Nighthawks, nothing is obviated/emphasized, everything is as intended. T90s and HD800s kinda bright (as they should) out the box but I expect it to smooth out a little more (or my brain'll just get used to it, don't listen to these 2 much anyway).

Built in DAC seems to be doing a better job than I'd originally expected, if I had to compare its sound to something I own I'd say it is practically on the same league as the A&K's new AK70 and noticeably better than my good ole Fostex HP-A4. Not sure how often I'll be using the inbuilt over my Modi MB in my main setup but the Jotunheim was bought for using at office regardless so the question at hand is whether or not to just buy another one to have at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back