Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #1,383 of 6,472
Sep 26, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #1,386 of 6,472
  Just had confirmation that my Jot will be with me in 12 hours! Happy days! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope that you've cleared a little spot for it, and laid out the red carpet, uh, cables, ready 
wink.gif

More seriously, after the recently hypenado, I hope that you enjoy listening to the thing- after all is said and done, it's a very solid, powerful and clean little balanced SS amp.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,387 of 6,472
Oh man, I had my heart set on a Rupert Neve RNHP but now I don't know. Has anyone tried both of them? This always happens. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a product and something else comes along that totally messes up my plans. The Schiit is $100 less without the DAC so I feel like I might lean towards the Jotunheim but I don't know, the RNHP seems like something really special as well. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #1,388 of 6,472
  Oh man, I had my heart set on a Rupert Neve RNHP but now I don't know. Has anyone tried both of them? This always happens. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a product and something else comes along that totally messes up my plans. 

I'd go for the Jot. More power and has single-ended as well as balanced headphone outs. the RNHP only has single ended out yet it has balanced and single-ended ins. Not sure what they were thinking. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #1,389 of 6,472

I'd go for the Jot. More power and has single-ended as well as balanced headphone outs. the RNHP only has single ended out yet it has balanced and single-ended ins. Not sure what they were thinking. 

I get that but Jude selected the RNHP out of all the available amps on the market to conduct his headphone measurements going forward which is a huge endorsement if you ask me. But I agree that the Jot seems like a better buy on paper. It seems like there is something really special going on with the RNHP sound quality wise though. Still a really tough choice. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,390 of 6,472

I get that but Jude selected the RNHP out of all the available amps on the market to conduct his headphone measurements going forward which is a huge endorsement if you ask me. But I agree that the Jot seems like a better buy on paper. It seems like there is something really special going on with the RNHP sound quality wise though. Still a really tough choice. 

I don't think he selected it due to the sound quality in terms of listening enjoyment, but rather for how flat and neutral the sound is. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,392 of 6,472
  Would those with Jotunheim share their experience with Planar headphones like Mr.Speakers Ethers, Audeze LCD2 or Hifiman HE560?

The power delivery of the balance output of the jotunheim would be ideal to drive the planar magnetic headphone.

In this thread I read it here and there that it could drive them, but how does it sound?

Thank you!

I have the HE 560. I thought the balanced output really improved the 560.  They just feel crisper.  Tighter bass that goes a little deeper as well.  They really benefit from the extra power.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #1,393 of 6,472

Not a direct quote but Jude said something like "The RNHP sounds so good that we bought a second one just to listen to music with." Anyways, please someone test these side by side. 

Nope, sounds like he based it mostly if not solely on how it measured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prY3Blbbyw&feature=youtu.be&t=8m55s

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,394 of 6,472

Nope, sounds like he based it mostly if not solely on how it measured:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prY3Blbbyw&feature=youtu.be&t=8m55s

Don't want to argue, he did say they bought a second one just for music listening but yes, the endorsement is most likely because of how well it measures. Ultimately, I will probably get the Jot just because its $100 cheaper. I'm on a budget so I can't really excuse spending an additional $100 for an amp that has less flexibility / features with most likely an almost imperceptible difference in sound quality. 

Now comes the DAC question. Do I keep my Teac UD301 with its pretty darn good sounding (IMO) dual Burr Brown 1795's and have a balanced DAC to go with my balanced Jot  ... OR ... do I sell the Teac and get into multibit with the Modi but lose the ability to do balanced headphones? More decisions to drive me nuts. 

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,395 of 6,472
You don't lose the ability to do balanced headphones with the Jot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back