Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,351 of 6,469
I thought the whole point of the Jotunheim was ultimate flexibilty in a desktop amp, with the modules and SE/BAL configurations. Making it the size of a Magni would defeat that purpose. They would probably simply call it another name if they made a smaller version.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,352 of 6,469
I thought the whole point of the Jotunheim was ultimate flexibilty in a desktop amp, with the modules and SE/BAL configurations. Making it the size of a Magni would defeat that purpose. They would probably simply call it another name if they made a smaller version.

I think he meant the amp technology that is used in the Jodie being repurposed in the Magni form factor as an amp only.

I imagine we will see more stuff from Schist using the tech found in the Jodie. Let's see what they announce in a few weeks at RMAF and we might learn more. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,354 of 6,469

I think he meant the amp technology that is used in the Jodie being repurposed in the Magni form factor as an amp only.

I imagine we will see more stuff from Schist using the tech found in the Jodie. Let's see what they announce in a few weeks at RMAF and we might learn more. 

Pivot point topology in a Magni Uber 2 Aluminum case...

That would be cool...

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #1,356 of 6,469

A balanced multibit DAC that stacks neatly with the Jotenheim would also win a lot of friends, mind.

Starting with me.  I would sell the Bimby and buy one...

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,357 of 6,469

A balanced multibit DAC that stacks neatly with the Jotenheim would also win a lot of friends, mind.

OR....instead of downsizing the chassis, upsize it to match the Gumby. 
wink_face.gif
  That way there will be "room" to add a MB for those who want an all in one solution also. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,359 of 6,469
Or, you know, both. Priced well, I could see either idea working. I have to say though, a nice Jot-sized balanced multibit would fit into my life so painlessly that it's crazy, I wouldn't even have to tidy my desk 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,360 of 6,469

wink_face.gif
  That way there will be "room" to add a MB for those who want an all in one solution also. 

While I would really like Gumby/MJ2 combo the form factor would not work for me.  If it did that would be my setup.
tongue_smile.gif

But I bet many folks would like a MJ2 size Jotuheim type amp.  With room in the case for multiple add on cards and Multibit.

Of course Schiit could do both...

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,361 of 6,469

wink_face.gif

Oh that'd be on like Donkey Kong, I'd easily pay for that. I have plenty of space on my desks and a Gungnir/MJ2 sized Jotunheim with room to add more cool modules like the MB integrated DAC would be a perfect addition for home usage (already have a DAC Jotunheim office-bound for work usage).

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,362 of 6,469
Oh dear, it does rather sound like shooting fish in a barrel, Schiit have a lot of options- and doubtless lots up their sleeves. They have been sitting on this topology for years, after all- I'm sure that when they drop the other shoe, it'll be impressive.

It's annoying to be a blatant fan, but while they're knocking out such good price/performance gear, it's hard not to be. Between their new topology and competitive multibit DAC pricing, they're looking hard to beat in a lot of the more affordable segments. I do wonder when/if the competition will be able to come up with a decent answer.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,363 of 6,469
wink_face.gif

I don't need anything larger than Bifrost, so that wouldn't fly with me.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,365 of 6,469
  Would those with Jotunheim share their experience with Planar headphones like Mr.Speakers Ethers, Audeze LCD2 or Hifiman HE560?

The power delivery of the balance output of the jotunheim would be ideal to drive the planar magnetic headphone.

In this thread I read it here and there that it could drive them, but how does it sound?

Thank you!

Excellent with Ether C Flows. Full-bodied bass, precise mids, clean, fast highs. Good instrument separation, although on a relatively tight soundstage (likely from closed C Flows). I can listen for full days without getting tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back