Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 25, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,366 of 6,471
So very tempted, I want to play with you guys but...I love tubes
Ordered Mjolnir today so I could try all balanced. Will likely end up with Jotunheim as well some day for comparison.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,367 of 6,471

You're more or less right, I think. For what it's worth, atomicbob did his usual very thorough job of measuring the Jot, and commented that balanced in measured slightly better in several ways than SE in, and ditto balanced out. However, he did emphasise that in all cases, SE was close and still a very good option- the executive summary was that the more balanced that you used, the better, but any of the four possible permutations would work surprisingly well.

Looked for atomicbob's Jot measurements on head-fi and could not find them, somewhere else?

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,368 of 6,471

OR....instead of downsizing the chassis, upsize it to match the Gumby. 
wink_face.gif
  That way there will be "room" to add a MB for those who want an all in one solution also. 

I thought the Ragnarok already fulfilled this role (at least as far as size is concerned)?  Plus, it has a much higher power output than the Jotunheim.  Am I missing something here?

P.S. This is not a knock against the Jotunheim.  I own a Jotunheim myself (along with a Modi MB and HD600 headphones).  I am enjoying it VERY MUCH.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,369 of 6,471
How does Rag compare to Jot?

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,371 of 6,471
  You could try using GOOGLE 
biggrin.gif

Type in "atomicbob jotunheim" and see what comes up

ph34r.gif

Duh. I assumed the OP was referring to a non-public communication, didn't realize how many audio forums were out there 
eek.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,374 of 6,471
Would the Magni and Modi Ubers be any way comparable to the Jot?

Read back in this giant thread a bit, the question has been asked and answered over and again. Executive summary, the Jotenheim is markedly superior to even the Magni 2 Uber. You wouldn't even need to be a particularly gifted listener to hear the difference quickly. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,377 of 6,471
I have a UDA-1 and a modded (SDR) HD800. I don't agree with your assessment as I think the HD800 sounds fine with this combo, but not as good as I have heard the HD800 with say a my Liquid Carbon or my BottleHead crack. The differences are subtle, but better. If you can, you might look into mods for the HD800. The [COLOR=333333]SuperDupont Resonator[/COLOR] is easy and cheap. Read about it hear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response

The UDA-1 is a very smooth DAC/Amp. In my opinion, too smooth. I'm hoping the Jodie as the amp and the UDA-1 as the DAC will breath some life in the HD800. 

If the HD800 has too much treble for you with the UDA-1 then you should mod it, or sell it and get a warmer set of cans. Possible an HD600 or HD650 or maybe an Elear. You won't find too many DACs warmer/smoother than the UDA-1 to tame the treble peak.

Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing the HD800 is just not for me, I do love it with older recordings... Bill Withers, Aretha Franklin etc and Jazz/classical but I only listen to these genres about 20% of the time. I'm gonna take my amp to the place that sells the hd650. It's a hassle but the only way I'll know for sure.

Cheers.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,378 of 6,471
...and they're out of stock for the next 2 weeks, just my luck! Any chance you've heard hd650 with the uda1??

Sep 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,379 of 6,471
Alright now Schiit please make a Jot for Hd-600 like headphones <3

Don't agree with this necessarily. I think the HD 600 sounds great with the jot / bimby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back