Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 26, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #1,396 of 6,472
  You don't lose the ability to do balanced headphones with the Jot. 

Not what I said ... Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Jot with the built in DAC module can do balanced headphones but if you go for the model without the DAC, you would need to feed the Jot with a balanced DAC like the UD301. Am I correct in understanding that the Modi Multi could only do SE headphones if it was feeding the Jot?

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,397 of 6,472

I finally got the power problems solved in home system. One ground loop and a bad ups smps later, everything is as it should be. The Jot will replace the Ragnarok for headphones. The Ragnarok is still fantastic and drives speakers with a clarity few other power amps I know can. It is fantastic for headphones but for my tastes, I think the Jot might just edge it out in some cases, one being price. I left the Jot at work for a week and rocked with my modi mb. Just sublime. So happy yet clear and inviting. With they Yggdrasil and the Bryston BDP, it is a definite step up. I can't actually listen while I work from home because it sounds too good and I can't focus on work. All the initial harshness I was worried about is gone since I fixed my chain. This one is staying. I haven't tried the phono card yet. I'll try with my buddy's phono system when I get a chance maybe next week. So, this is now my new home system. I'm gonna start selling off my other amps.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,398 of 6,472
Not what I said ... Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Jot with the built in DAC module can do balanced headphones but if you go for the model without the DAC, you would need to feed the Jot with a balanced DAC like the UD301. Am I correct in understanding that the Modi Multi could only do SE headphones if it was feeding the Jot?

Yes you are wrong, you can feed in either amp input and use either amp output.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,399 of 6,472

The Jot is an inherently balanced amp. The input stage is something new. Normally, one would use a phase splitter on the input signal if single ended. This amp doesn't require that somehow. The amp is still always balanced. The output can be either balanced or single ended, regardless of what the input signal is.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,400 of 6,472

I finally got the power problems solved in home system. One ground loop and a bad ups smps later, everything is as it should be. The Jot will replace the Ragnarok for headphones. The Ragnarok is still fantastic and drives speakers with a clarity few other power amps I know can. It is fantastic for headphones but for my tastes, I think the Jot might just edge it out in some cases, one being price. I left the Jot at work for a week and rocked with my modi mb. Just sublime. So happy yet clear and inviting. With they Yggdrasil and the Bryston BDP, it is a definite step up. I can't actually listen while I work from home because it sounds too good and I can't focus on work. All the initial harshness I was worried about is gone since I fixed my chain. This one is staying. I haven't tried the phono card yet. I'll try with my buddy's phono system when I get a chance maybe next week. So, this is now my new home system. I'm gonna start selling off my other amps.

What would you say some of the differences are between Mimby and Yggy through the Jot?

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,403 of 6,472
What would you say some of the differences are between Mimby and Yggy through the Jot?

No different than the countless other comparisons between the various Multibit DACs. The Mimby and Bimby are happier sounding, as Jason coined it. The Yggy is more warts and all. It's very revealing and will reward better recordings. That's not to say the mimby isn't detailed. I find Multibit DACs to have tremendous phase accuracy which makes spatial cues and imaging better than most DS I have owned.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,405 of 6,472
I think he was talking about his local's stock of HD-650.

Yes, local store is called StoreDJ. It's about 150km+ round trip to audition hd650. If I want to audition a Jot, well that's gonna be a weekend trip for me lol. If you're in NSW around Sydney or even Melbourne which is not that far from Sydney seems you have your pick of places to try hi-end gear. I'm up schiit Creek being in QLD.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #1,407 of 6,472

Amazon's return policy has been a godsend for my headphone purchases.

Not when you live in Australia 
frown.gif

(and HD650 are much cheaper from the store than from Amazon USA).

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #1,409 of 6,472

Nope, you can do SE-SE, SE-BAL, BAL-SE and BAL-BAL with the Jot. It doesn't care- it all works, and works well. The SE is remarkably decent in all cases, but balanced will give you a little more if you use it. That's one of the main things that makes the Jot such a remarkable amp at the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back