Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 27, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,426 of 6,472
  My Jotunheim's just been delivered a couple hours ago, thus far I definitely agree with Jason's assertion that the best way to describe it is "characterless". It's powerful enough to let every pair of headphones I own shine through with their strengths (and weaknesses). Seems to be an incredible match with the HD650 because it has more than enough brute force (balanced at least, not tried SE) to push them where they need to go whilst lifting most of the infamous veil. Sounds appropriate with HE-400S, latest rev LCD-2s and Nighthawks, nothing is obviated/emphasized, everything is as intended. T90s and HD800s kinda bright (as they should) out the box but I expect it to smooth out a little more (or my brain'll just get used to it, don't listen to these 2 much anyway).

Built in DAC seems to be doing a better job than I'd originally expected, if I had to compare its sound to something I own I'd say it is practically on the same league as the A&K's new AK70 and noticeably better than my good ole Fostex HP-A4. Not sure how often I'll be using the inbuilt over my Modi MB in my main setup but the Jotunheim was bought for using at office regardless so the question at hand is whether or not to just buy another one to have at home.

I would love to hear more on your thoughts about difference between the built in dac and Modi MB. I am arguing with myself about witch combo I should get. Can barely afford it, so getting both dacs is not an option.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,428 of 6,472
It just so happens a local I'm friends with bought the Jot with internal DAC and brought it around for a listen yesterday. We directly compared it to my Mimby (which is he is considering buying).

I did not spend a ton of time with it, but it was fairly obvious to both of us which was better. I didn't mention this to prove a point about this forum delving into topics and dishing out opinions about unfamiliar gear all the time. I've seen it quite a bit.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,430 of 6,472
Probably should've asked this before, but if I intend to listen to another amp with the pre-outs, would the Jot continue playing from the headphone output if I left another headphone plugged in there? Probably won't matter but just something to know.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,431 of 6,472
  Probably should've asked this before, but if I intend to listen to another amp with the pre-outs, would the Jot continue playing from the headphone output if I left another headphone plugged in there? Probably won't matter but just something to know.

Yes, the pre-outs and headphone jacks are remain active at the same time.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,432 of 6,472
  Go with the Modi Multibit if you can,  the internal DAC however is very good as long as you feed it properly via something like HQPlayer.

In all honesty if you have not listened to the Mulibit I am sure you would be more than happy with the internal DAC.

Also remember the internal DAC is balanced and differential, the Multibit is not...

Yes, that is what I am concerned about, because in all honesty I really don't know what benefits that gives that the multibit cannot. I have talked to Schiit-europe and they promised to do a full refund if I send back items that I'm not satisfied with. It's a nice gesture. Most probably I will order Jot and Modi muitibit and send back the modi if it's not to my satisfaction. Sadly, then I will never have got to try the built in dac.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,433 of 6,472
  I only use Optical so it is not a problem, it is just strange that the Jot picks it up and the Magni does not...

Interesting comment. When I first got my Jot I found it was so revealing it allowed me to hear some problems related to buffer size in my player that my previous amp was not capable of resolving.

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,434 of 6,472
  I would love to hear more on your thoughts about difference between the built in dac and Modi MB. I am arguing with myself about witch combo I should get. Can barely afford it, so getting both dacs is not an option.

Depends on the remainder of your gear - though I'd say if you're over the ~$250 (very personal, almost arbitrary) department when it comes to headphones then the Multibit will be an improvement sizeable enough to justify the price discrepancy. It's very subjective though, but I'd say that's about where it start shining (from personal experience).

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,436 of 6,472
  Wich would be the best option; Jot with built in dac or a Modi MB on top of it? Would I gain getting a balanced cable for my he-560 if I get the SE connection to the external dac? 

That depends on how you define "best". The built-in DAC will give you convenience and portability- but it's USB-only and a fairly normal Delta/Sigma DAC. I haven't actually heard the built-in DAC-  I skipped it because I have a couple of more fancy choices, but there's a bit of me that sort of wishes that I'd grabbed it for convenience in retrospect. The DAC module is a pair of AK4490, running as a balanced configuration. I'm sure it sounds pretty good by the standards of the 4490, which is a pretty reputable DAC.

Various people have had issues with electrical noise down the USB connection, so be aware that noisy USB sources (cough, Macbooks) might not produce great results plugged in via USB, and require a decrapifier.

The Modi Multibit is a lovely DAC, it sounds a lot better than its $249 would have you believe. Everyone, including Schiit themselves I'm sure, would be pretty upfront about this being a better-sounding option compared to their D/S stuff, despite being SE. It's just that obviously it's a slightly more expensive option, and makes the unit less self-contained if you're likely to move it around.

So it's up to you- are you OK with the extra cost of the Modi Multibit? Are you without the convenience of the internal DAC? Would you prefer having the option of optical and co-axial S/PDIF inputs with the Modi Multibit? You could chose either or both, and still not be wrong, it's what suits you that matters.

If what you're actually asking is "what would sound best?", you'd probably find that the Modi Multibit would sound better.

Sep 27, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,437 of 6,472
  Do you have a link to the feet your mention? Thanks

Yes,

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Bumpon-SJ5023-Bumper-Spacer/dp/B002OTNGPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475006781&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+rubber+feet

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,439 of 6,472

Depends on the remainder of your gear - though I'd say if you're over the ~$250 (very personal, almost arbitrary) department when it comes to headphones then the Multibit will be an improvement sizeable enough to justify the price discrepancy. It's very subjective though, but I'd say that's about where it start shining (from personal experience).

I have just got my new HiFiMAN He-560! Maybe I should consider other brand dacs aswell.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,440 of 6,472
  Yes,

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Bumpon-SJ5023-Bumper-Spacer/dp/B002OTNGPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475006781&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+rubber+feet

I use the same stick on feet for all of my Schiit, they're really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back