Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #76 of 6,469
  Jotunheim uses a new chassis design that is slightly shorter than the Asgard 2 but has the same width and depth.  It uses a L-bend aluminum top and sits in steel sled in a design similar to the Magni 2 but with some key differences.  The aluminum top doesn't have any exposed screws, we are using recessed PEM fasteners on the top.  Its actually pretty cool- Jason has been working on the refined chassis design for quite a while.  Jotunheim has permanent feet and doesn't use our famous (infamous) adhesive bumpers (although some people may find them in your Jotunheim box- we've been putting feet in to boxes for six years and old habits are hard to break).  

What is the total length of the chassis? 

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #77 of 6,469

Hello Jude, 

I don't get this design.  

A super powerful Amp when the new Headphones need only .1mlw power,
A d/s DAC from a Company making it's name with R2R ( Multibit designs ) presumed competitive with the likes of Chord,
A RIAA/high gain phono-cartridge head amp for a smaller than tiny vinyl World that's already choked up with Phono preamps sitting in everyone's closet collecting dust. ( a good many of them of Audio Research quality levels )

This Jot. probably does everything quite well, as you report but it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Is it a Analog/Digital/Integreted Amp with Mega-Tons of headphone power but not enough for loudspeakers.  Phew, a Unicorn in Zebra Stripes that can pull a plow  or  a headphone version of a Swiss Army Knife?

I'm impressed, we don't see this kind of thing very often.

Tony in Michigan 

Tony,

Jotunheim is a product that is versatile as possible and that will be useful to the greatest number of customers.  Quiet enough to drive IEMs and powerful enough to drive old-school power-hungry headphones.  Jotunheim is a single amp to drive almost any headphone or IEM in your collection.  It also has the option of adding in a balanced-DAC or a phono stage for $100.  

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #80 of 6,469

This stands out in the company profile of offerings in that......

1) Desktop balanced out to powered speakers.

2) Balanced out and powers all headphones.

3) Makes a simple one unit clean desktop experience.

:)

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #81 of 6,469
I guess it's a good proposition for someone who'd like a more powerful, fully balanced solution, but wants to stay in Asgard footprint.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #82 of 6,469
In addition to variable, fixed, or switchable pre-out (I'm guess variable), does plugging in headphones cut power to the pre-outs? I would assume yes, or the preouts are pretty useless when connected to a speaker amp.

No other Schiit amp does that. You just unplug the headphones when you want to listen to speakers. When listening to headphones I just turn off the speakers.

Yikes! That is too bad. Many desktop speaker are not easy to turn off and on. You know, they stupidly put the power switch in the back of the device, assuming the integrated device driving the speakers is smart.

Are the preouts fixed or variable?

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #83 of 6,469
Now if only there was a fully balanced multibit DAC in Bifrost chassis..

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #84 of 6,469
I think Schiit products are really attractive and I like the single-unit DAC/amp option! I wonder how this will stack up against my Mojo + Liquid Carbon combo.

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #86 of 6,469
So much negative feedback does the Jotunheim have? I am able to tolerate some treble problems in recordings, headphones, and amps without the steel of negative feedback but on amps like the Magni, my ears ring like a bell even if the recording is warm as hell and I'm using HD 650s. I almost always have to use high frequency trim options on powered monitors to a less than neutral treble volume due to the integrated class AB and D amps.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #87 of 6,469
Yikes! That is too bad. Many desktop speaker are not easy to turn off and on. You know, they stupidly put the power switch in the back of the device, assuming the integrated device driving the speakers is smart.

Are the preouts fixed or variable?

easy issue to fix, just get a remote control power switch for the speakers. The preamp outputs are variable on my Mjolnir 2.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #89 of 6,469
It seems like Schiit can read my mind... Just when I was contemplating pulling a trigger on a used Bifrost MB, Schiit went and announced the Modi MB. I now have a Modi MB on my desk.

Just last week, I was considering getting another low priced balanced amp to maybe replace what I currently have (it wasn't playing well with all of my headphones and IEMs) but the options are extremely limited. In my very short research, the cheapest balanaced amps I could find are the Aune X7s (about $250) and the Liquid Carbon 1st run ($600 and out of stock, 2nd run at $800). Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong and add if you know of any balanced amp under $500. In any case, both the Aune X7s and Liquid Carbon balanced out but only SE in. 

Many do not see the Jotunheim as "revolutionary" or "ground-breaking" but even after ignoring all its additional features (phono or dac section, pre amp out etc), this is a balanced in balanced out amp at $400! With a new topology (doesn't say much about how it will sound like but new topologies don't grow on trees)! And apparently play well with both sensitive IEMs and harder to drive headphones (this will need more inputs from Jotunheim owners).

I fully expect the Jotunheim to be my next amp though it won't be so soon as I have some other purchases already planned. I may or may not like it, but I think we should at least appreciate that Schiit has brought down the price bar on another piece of audio gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back