Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #46 of 6,471

Hello Jude, 

I don't get this design.  

A super powerful Amp when the new Headphones need only .1mlw power,
A d/s DAC from a Company making it's name with R2R ( Multibit designs ) presumed competitive with the likes of Chord,
A RIAA/high gain phono-cartridge head amp for a smaller than tiny vinyl World that's already choked up with Phono preamps sitting in everyone's closet collecting dust. ( a good many of them of Audio Research quality levels )

This Jot. probably does everything quite well, as you report but it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Is it a Analog/Digital/Integreted Amp with Mega-Tons of headphone power but not enough for loudspeakers.  Phew, a Unicorn in Zebra Stripes that can pull a plow  or  a headphone version of a Swiss Army Knife?

I'm impressed, we don't see this kind of thing very often.

Tony in Michigan 

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #47 of 6,471
  I hope they release a multibit dac module for this. This might be the best value balanced setup for me. 
biggrin.gif

I don't recall exactly what Jason said, but I remember something about it not being possible. The multi-bit DACs are too complex and my understanding is that the Mimby is at the limit of what they can sanely squeeze in a small package.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #49 of 6,471
Aug 27, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #50 of 6,471

Hello Jude, 

I don't get this design.  

A super powerful Amp when the new Headphones need only .1mlw power,
A d/s DAC from a Company making it's name with R2R ( Multibit designs ) presumed competitive with the likes of Chord,
A RIAA/high gain phono-cartridge head amp for a smaller than tiny vinyl World that's already choked up with Phono preamps sitting in everyone's closet collecting dust. ( a good many of them of Audio Research quality levels )

This Jot. probably does everything quite well, as you report but it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

Is it a Analog/Digital/Integreted Amp with Mega-Tons of headphone power but not enough for loudspeakers.  Phew, a Unicorn in Zebra Stripes that can pull a plow  or  a headphone version of a Swiss Army Knife?

I'm impressed, we don't see this kind of thing very often.

Tony in Michigan 

Not all headphones need miniscule amounts of power, and not all new headphones need miniscule amounts of power. More power is rarely a bad thing unless it increases noise, which apparently this topology does not.

Schiit's best selling DAC is the Modi 2, which is D/S. Lots of people have praised their D/S DAC versions of the Modi and Bifrost (and probably the Gungnir but not many people mention the D/S Gumby these days). The R2R components cannot physically fit into the space designated for the DAC/phono pre slot, plus it's only $100 more for the expansion, and R2R is generally a more expensive implementation.

If you watched the video you'd notice that this has both SE and balanced preouts, which means this can be used as a preamp. Add the phono stage and you now have a fully functional phono preamp with an excellent pair of headphone outs as well. Lots of people are just now getting into vinyl and head-fi and a device like this will be a very attractive all in one solution.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #51 of 6,471
The real question of course is, how good will it sound?  It obviously measures insanely great-ly.

I gather this new amp topology is a scaled down version of what it's in their upcoming two channel stuff.  It appears to occupy less chassis space than a circlotron would.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #54 of 6,471
  Are one of those switches in the front for power? And just to be clear no DAC is included at the $400 price point?

one switch in input. one is gain. Power is on the rear

$399 amp only

I don't know if the pre-out is variable, fixed, or switchable. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #57 of 6,471

Mr. Merrick,

You make very good, sensible points.  It is a good implementation. But ( I think ) for the Marketplace of 3 years ago.

Today, I see folks using smart phones for everything with wireless earphone devices purchased as accessories. ( Today's World )

Tomorrow, I see LG V20 phones with quad DAC chipsets and dual headphone jacks.  ( release date Sept.2016 )  These are being announced as Audiophile Phones.

[size=x-small]Converging with these phones are Tyll's new Wall of Fame, having the [/size]three Top Level headphones needing measly power, ( phone capable ) [size=x-small] [/size]

[size=x-small]If these Audiophile ( next generation ) phones can get access to Tidal ( and drive Focal Elears ) we'll be seeing the next NEW important advancement.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Perhaps I'm connecting the dots with a bit of extrapolation but the dots are there to connect, so, I'm figuring the next new 'great' desk-top system will be the next generation phone.[/size]

[size=x-small]You can call me out on this when it doesn't happen. [/size]

[size=x-small]Tony in Michigan[/size]

[size=x-small]ps.  I tried to give my Grandchildren a little Schiit Stack ( I have in my closet ), they turned me down, they use their iPhone's music and little earphones as "their" entire music system. [/size]

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #58 of 6,471
In addition to variable, fixed, or switchable pre-out (I'm guess variable), does plugging in headphones cut power to the pre-outs? I would assume yes, or the preouts are pretty useless when connected to a speaker amp.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #59 of 6,471

Mr. Merrick,

You make very good, sensible points.  It is a good implementation. But ( I think ) for the Marketplace of 3 years ago.

Today, I see folks using smart phones for everything with wireless earphone devices purchased as accessories. ( Today's World )

Tomorrow, I see LG V20 phones with quad DAC chipsets and dual headphone jacks.  ( release date Sept.2016 )  These are being announced as Audiophile Phones.

[size=x-small]Converging with these phones are Tyll's new Wall of Fame, having the [/size]three Top Level headphones needing measly power, ( phone capable ) [size=x-small] [/size]

[size=x-small]If these Audiophile ( next generation ) phones can get access to Tidal ( and drive Focal Elears ) we'll be seeing the next NEW important advancement.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Perhaps I'm connecting the dots with a bit of extrapolation but the dots are there to connect, so, I'm figuring the next new 'great' desk-top system will be the next generation phone.[/size]

[size=x-small]ps.  I tried to give my Grandchildren a little Schiit Stack ( I have in my closet ), they turned me down, they use their iPhone's music and little earphones as "their" entire music system. [/size]

Audiophiles are a niche group for sure, but we spend enough to keep these various companies in business. I personally think the Jotunheim is a very clever piece of tech and if it sounds as good or better than my Valhalla 2, I'll be buying one and selling off the Val.

I have an Audeze Sine with Cypher cable for my phone. I think it sounds great. Excellent for portable use. Sometimes in a pinch not bad for desktop use. But my desktop rig sounds worlds better. Most people will be satisfied with $20 earbuds connected to a phone. I don't think we'll see phones replacing desktop setups for the majority of audiophiles.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #60 of 6,471

Mr. Merrick,

So basically you are saying that any product Schiit or any dac/amp company makes is obsolete/irrelevant today? That's a pretty bleak outlook. Fortunately I suspect very few will agree with your opinion. This is a niche industry that lives for overkill and cares little about practicality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back