Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #91 of 6,472
  Now we need a comparison of this vs the Fostex HP-A4BL.

They're two fundamental and completely different products, asides the price point the fact they both have a balanced and SE headphone outs is pretty much the only thing they have in common really. Fostex' website states the A4BL puts out 300mW into 32 ohms, the Jotunheim puts out (conservatively, according to Jude) 5000.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #93 of 6,472
It seems like Schiit can read my mind... Just when I was contemplating pulling a trigger on a used Bifrost MB, Schiit went and announced the Modi MB. I now have a Modi MB on my desk.

Just last week, I was considering getting another low priced balanced amp to maybe replace what I currently have (it wasn't playing well with all of my headphones and IEMs) but the options are extremely limited. In my very short research, the cheapest balanaced amps I could find are the Aune X7s (about $250) and the Liquid Carbon 1st run ($600 and out of stock, 2nd run at $800). Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong and add if you know of any balanced amp under $500. In any case, both the Aune X7s and Liquid Carbon balanced out but only SE in. 

Many do not see the Jotunheim as "revolutionary" or "ground-breaking" but even after ignoring all its additional features (phono or dac section, pre amp out etc), this is a balanced in balanced out amp at $400! With a new topology (doesn't say much about how it will sound like but new topologies don't grow on trees)! And apparently play well with both sensitive IEMs and harder to drive headphones (this will need more inputs from Jotunheim owners).

I fully expect the Jotunheim to be my next amp though it won't be so soon as I have some other purchases already planned. I may or may not like it, but I think we should at least appreciate that Schiit has brought down the price bar on another piece of audio gear.

The LC is also balanced in. That said, I doubt anyone but the absolute most discerning ears could detect a difference between well implemented SE in and balanced in on an amp. I even doubt the most discerning folks can tell the difference.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #95 of 6,472
They're two fundamental and completely different products, asides the price point the fact they both have a balanced and SE headphone outs is pretty much the only thing they have in common really. Fostex' website states the A4BL puts out 300mW into 32 ohms, the Jotunheim puts out (conservatively, according to Jude) 5000.

Yes, but for someone who doesn't have really difficult headphones to drive, they would still be a relative comparison there.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #96 of 6,472
I'm having a hard time seeing how that's enough power for the HE6 (and I need to post something here to get it in my activity list, the subscribe button isn't working 
biggrin.gif
).

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #97 of 6,472
Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that one definite leg up of this device is that the quarter inch single ended out isn't as hampered (lack of summing, whatnot) as it would be on Schiit's other balanced amps.  For me that's a big plus, since I wanna be using both balanced cans, and my IEMs that are factory wired for single ended only.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #98 of 6,472
I feel this might be something good to use with my Chord Mojo for my HE-560's. Feeling it more and more that the Mojo does not have enough power to drive the HE-560's. If only by a small margin. And with the option to put in a phono would be really nice for my vinyl collection. :)

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #99 of 6,472

The way I'm writing it, the jotnar are a persecuted minority, hunted nearly to extinction by brutal and vicious Aesir - a bit like the Native Americans and the Europeans. Loki is in-between, half jotun and half Aesir, mostly crazy. Odin is a power-mad monster.

My main character is a mentally ill (borderline) woman who's been 'transformed' into a jotun (along with her two friends) in an attempt to increase their numbers.

That's weird.  I am writing a novel about EXACTLY the same thing.  I'm having a little trouble with the conclusion, though.  Can you send me your last chapter, just for, you know, inspiration?

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #100 of 6,472
Aw too bad if they cant make a small multibit module. How about a balanced output mimby?

Let`s say 300$ for the balanced mimby and add the amp-only jotunheim and that would still be a good value balanced setup.

I wonder if that can make me sell my idsd and soloist sl combo...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #102 of 6,472
Ordered.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #104 of 6,472
  This is going to cause a Schiit storm of Magni/Modi units going up in the For Sale forum.  Like mine probably. 
biggrin.gif

Most likely...I got lucky, still within the 15-day window for my Magni 2U.  Sent in RMA request last night, haven't received any confirmation or anything yet though...hopefully will get some feedback on Monday.

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #105 of 6,472
  We should be going on sale later this morning.  The production run started last week and we have a good number of units in stock and ready to ship on Monday morning.

Just ordered mine! Fed Ex 2nd day. Do you guys ever plan on making one in black?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back