Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 3, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #481 of 6,469

There is a conspiracy theory circling around the Internet that Sony will never release the DSD records out of fear that the combined scream of all diehard DSD fans will put Earth out of its orbit.

That's funny because several audiophile labels our there, with which I would assume most members here are quite familiar, still regularly put out SACDs. I would also assume some of those SACDs would be the definitive digital versions of those albums.

But I guess for other people if it ain't streamable there's no market for it 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #482 of 6,469
I thought it was in this thread, but apparently it was in another where a user suggested that the Ragnarok is not capable of driving the HE-1000. I'll have to check back there to see what they were referring to. But their second suggestion was the Jotunheim would be less capable than Ragnarok in driving the HE-1000. I find this to be completely false.

Background thoughts out the way, this is a supreme amplifier! Everyone speaks of the proverbial wire with a gain - this is not that. But it seems to dispense with the formalities, the normal lets get to know the headphone, which all other amplifiers I've encountered do. The first headphone I tried was HD650, because it is the first headphone I almost always try. The next headphone was HE-1000, and the difference was not a lot. Not like with most amplifiers how much of a gain there is jumping from $300 to $3000 transducers. The amplifier simply said, move out of the way - because I am coming through.

And that was indeed the second reason I did not post yesterday upon receiving and first listening to this beast. On both ends, source and output, the amplifier did what it was told to do and did not make excuses. This, I think, is the first time I'm truly hearing my source, being the Mimby, which is traditionally in a Modi/Magni stack. Output instead into the Jodie, I hear what the Mimby is. It is kind of a ruthless source, with a little more stuff happening in the upper registers than I personally like. I was fearing that this amplifier was bright. Not the case! When I changed to my Chord Mojo for source, I heard nothing harsh in the upper registers.

For those who don't like to read too much - this amplifier plays. It plays irregardless of the thing it is playing into. And it plays straight to the core of the source. If your source is harsh, your output is harsh. If your source is clean, your output is clean. I will eventually pop over to the Rag, but at this moment, I do not feel the need. If you want to hear what your source sounds like, and you don't want to buy an amplifier for every headphone, give the Jodie a try!

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #483 of 6,469
@sheldaze I would echo your thoughts. I'm pairing the Jodie with Gumby and I keeping thinking to myself that this amp has NO right to sound this good at this price point. It resolves your source to a fault. But put the right source behind it and what you are rewarded with is engaging and musical. 

It's too early for me to go into much detail but suffice it to say, I'm really impressed with Jodie. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #484 of 6,469
Dammit, someone please review the DAC in comparison to other DACs around its price range like the Modi or ODAC. I'm mostly seeing people comparing it to their $500 or more DACs thus dismissing it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #485 of 6,469
 Dammit, someone please review the DAC in comparison to other DACs around its price range like the Modi or ODAC. I'm mostly seeing people comparing it to their $500 or more DACs thus dismissing it.

Any Schiit's multibit will trounce the internal DAC IMO. You're better off getting the Mimby + Jodi with phono stage or without.

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #486 of 6,469

Given its implementation and the fact it's balanced should theoretically mean it handily beats "standard" stuff in its price range like the original modi iterations, the ODAC, etc. I'd wager.

Personally I'd wanna find out how it fares up against the Modi MB, according to Sheldaze's analysis the mimby + Jotun pairing may have too much going for it in the upper registers than what I'd want it to (treble sensitive) - wonder if the dual DAC module would work better in that regard, being a little smoother akin to how clean the Mojo is. That'd make it worth it for me.

If the difference is negligible however I'll just get the the pono module instead and work my way up to a Gumby later on I suppose.

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #487 of 6,469
not mine...but they go together...

That's my photo of my gear. I don't mind you using it but please give credit if you're going to do so, thank you.

Given its implementation and the fact it's balanced should theoretically mean it handily beats "standard" stuff in its price range like the original modi iterations, the ODAC, etc. I'd wager.

Personally I'd wanna find out how it fares up against the Modi MB, according to Sheldaze's analysis the mimby + Jotun pairing may have too much going for it in the upper registers than what I'd want it to (treble sensitive) - wonder if the dual DAC module would work better in that regard, being a little smoother akin to how clean the Mojo is. That'd make it worth it for me.

If the difference is negligible however I'll just get the the pono module instead and work my way up to a Gumby later on I suppose.

I've found that the Momby has some hot treble but that gets worked out through more extensive playback, not just leaving the DAC on but actively playing music through it.

To my ears there is no contest between the Momby and Jodie's internal DAC. The internal DAC is more aggressive and bright, but with less overall detail and completely lacking the extra textural layer that makes Schiit's multibit DACs sound so realistic and engaging. If you want a great D/S DAC to pair with Jodie, get a GOV2/+ or GO2a and a balanced cable. Otherwise get a Momby, play a lot of music through it to take the treble, and be happy.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #489 of 6,469
That's my photo of my gear. I don't mind you using it but please give credit if you're going to do so, thank you.

Sorry Bro no harm intended... Guyz!! Its his.... 

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #490 of 6,469
Question for other folks out in the field with their Jotis: Is there a noticeable amount of noise floor increase as you raise the volume? With some of the cans I'm using, I can hear quite a bit as I roll up the volume. One caveat. I have dirty power in my apartment. I suspect a bad ground somewhere. It may just be attributed to that. I'm not sure. I haven't used at the office yet. Perhaps this topology might be more sensitive to that. I do recall the original Mjolnir didn't enjoy being on circuits with a dimmer switch colocated. That aside, the sound quality is pretty darn good.

Sep 3, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #491 of 6,469

Any Schiit's multibit will trounce the internal DAC IMO. You're better off getting the Mimby + Jodi with phono stage or without.

I would respectfully disagree with your statements.  Received my Jotunheim with DAC yesterday and I am quite pleased.  While I haven't done a direct comparison with my Bifrost Multibit, the Jotunheim + DAC has kept me very engaged in going though my music collection.  I could live with this as an end-game system and forget about upgrades, spending more time on exploring music.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #492 of 6,469
I would respectfully disagree with your statements.  Received my Jotunheim with DAC yesterday and I am quite pleased.  While I haven't done a direct comparison with my Bifrost Multibit, the Jotunheim + DAC has kept me very engaged in going though my music collection.  I could live with this as an end-game system and forget about upgrades, spending more time on exploring music.

I agree. Yesterday out at the office, I thought the Jortunheim's DAC did just fine (through speakers). I didn't directly compare it with mimby here at home with headphones, but I'm sure it would do ok.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #493 of 6,469

Interesting impressions! I'd definitely be interested in the comparison between the Jotun DAC and your Bifrost MB if you'd get around to posting them, appreciate Merrick's input as well!

I have a Modi MB already but given I only spent around 2 hours with it before I left on holiday I haven't had the chance to properly evaluate its performance yet - hence I'm trying to figure out whether the internal DAC competes (if it does then I'll get it and find another use for the MB Modi) or if I should skip it and get the pono instead when I order my Jotun after getting back home.

Sep 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #495 of 6,469
Comparing to Modi2/Magni2 right now.  Using Hifiman he 560 with single ended cable.  So far I would say better impact and slam in the bass.  Also a little more air and better soundstage.  Waiting for custom cable to arrive to compare balanced output.  Always wondered if the 560's would benefit from a little more power then the Magni 2 has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back