Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #451 of 6,469
Early impressions of Jotunheim. It's a pretty neat looking gadget! It's sort of heavy, which makes sense for an amp of course!  I got it delivered to my office first. I'm at work, so I'm trying it here first, then I'll take it home for the 3 day weekend and try it against my other stuff, such as the Wa7 Fireflies and it's DAC, the concero HD, and of course, my trusty Mimby Multibit. 

I have it hooked into my speaker system right now, listening to .flac files. I was using a mackie 802VLZ4 mixer and the m audio 24/96 sound card feeding it with RCA cords, and using balanced XLR cords to the powered monitors. It sounds just barely ok in that format. When I brought the mimby out and used it, of course it smoked the m audio easily, no contest. 

The Dac (I ordered the DAC with the Jotunheim), doesn't smoke the M audio near as much, but still does. It's still clearer and there's more tone. It makes me miss multibit though. Then again, I knew what I was getting into with this DAC, it's only 100 bucks, I didn't figure they'd stick the equivalent of the Yggy in there, lol, or even the mimby. It's definitely usable. Just like I figured, a "pinch hitter" in times of crisis, the bigger DAC goes out for service/update, ect.

Other than that, the amp seems to be doing it's "job". Then again, all it's doing right now is being a preamp to my speakers.  And as such (so far), I'm finding I prefer the low power switch over the high power for this task.

I can't wait to see how this does as a headphone amp, but that will have to wait until I'm home. I saw some post on another site saying the Jotunheim was comparing favorably with his Eddie Current Zana Deux Super. Seems crazy? The Jotunheim seems punchy, even as a preamp. Gosh. I wish I had the mimby out here to see how it would sound with the mimby driving it. I bet pretty damn good. 

I just have to figure out if it's worth replacing my mixers, and I'm not so sure about that. I thought about having at least two Jotunheims for my desktop rigs, since they're fully balanced. Buy a gumby or even a yggy to feed them a great DAC (and balanced, not SE RCA) signal, and also have a really nice headphone amp at each rig (desk) if needed. The mixers are nice, if I want to use them for transcribing, but I usually transcribe with the speakers, not with headphones. If it's tough to get, maybe, but I transcribe so much and have for so many years it's gotten easier. Still kicks my butt once in a while though.

Anyway, so far so good. Can't wait to see the comparisons at home, with all of the gear available. So far though, as my DAC's go, I think it's sort of like this:  M Audio < Wa7 Fireflies DAC < Jotunheim DAC < Concero HD < Mimby (easily the champ).

Wa7 Fireflies vs Jotunheim awaits at home, not to mention hearing it with the different DAC's. 

I'm so glad I own Mimby!

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #452 of 6,469
Just got everything hooked up. I was surprised that the gain switch also affects the pre-amp out; thought it would only be for the hp output. 

Anyone know whether it is better to use high or low gain when using it as a pre-amp??

I'm using this auto-switching power strip. When I turn on the Jot, the speakers power up. There are no significant pops or clicks in power up or power down. The muting delay circuit also affects the pre-amp out.

The Jot is a very solid piece, much heavier than I anticipated. Stacks nicely with my Bimby.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #453 of 6,469
  Just got everything hooked up. I was surprised that the gain switch also affects the pre-amp out; thought it would only be for the hp output. 

Anyone know whether it is better to use high or low gain when using it as a pre-amp??

I'm using this auto-switching power strip. When I turn on the Jot, the speakers power up. There are no significant pops or clicks in power up or power down. The muting delay circuit also affects the pre-amp out.

The Jot is a very solid piece, much heavier than I anticipated. Stacks nicely with my Bimby.

lol, that tripped me out when I flicked that switch to high gain! Blew me out of my chair! I'm not sure yet which one I like, but so far, it's been the low gain for my speakers. I bet this thing sounds really good with bimby!

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #454 of 6,469
I just got mine in today. I got the phono board but haven't set that up quite yet. It's currently being fed from my Bimby and bryston BDP. I was using cavalli LC prior and initial impressions of this amp are quite good. Very articulate and clear. Very musical. More forward and punchy than the LC. It's as quiet as a library for church mice. More detailed impressions later but so far I like it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #455 of 6,469
I have a Modi 2/Magni 2 stack and my Jotunheim arrived today.  I will be comparing them this weekend.  Will pass on my opinions.

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #456 of 6,469
Received the Joti today. Amp only, no phono, no USB.

Using my Bimby SE and Emotiva DC-1 balanced as DACs. Very pleased so far.

Well worth the $399.00 price.

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #458 of 6,469
Yes everyone post...post...post!  Please include how the system is configured, headphones used, as well as your impressions.  The rest of us are depending on you and your reports!  We have our finger on the trigger, waiting on inputs from "USERs"!!

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #460 of 6,469
I'm really enjoying Jotunheim out here at the office, even with its DAC. Really nice, music sounds really good. I can't wait to hear it as a headphone amp tonight!

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #461 of 6,469
Is there somewhere where the slang names for the various Schiit products are explained? Know "Gumby" is Gungnir, but I'm not clear on "Mimby" and "Bimby".

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #462 of 6,469
  Is there somewhere where the slang names for the various Schiit products are explained? Know "Gumby" is Gungnir, but I'm not clear on "Mimby" and "Bimby".

"Mimby" = Modi Multibit

"Bimby" = Bifrost Multibit

I believe all the nicknames were coined by @Baldr (aka Mike Moffat).

I am not sure if an official nickname for Jotunheim has been endorsed by Schiit Royalty yet, but we need one as I'm getting too lazy to keep typing it out!

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #463 of 6,469
I've been testing my Jotunheim since yesterday and I can tell you that it's definitely an improvement to my Fulla. There's almost no distortion in the Jotunheim while the Fulla had much more and more evident. I don't know how it compares to a Modi/Magni stack, but I tested a Modi (First version) and it had some distortion with some high frequency sounds, the dac inside the Jotunheim (if you choose to have it with a dac) sounds definitely better.

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #464 of 6,469

"Mimby" = Modi Multibit

"Bimby" = Bifrost Multibit

I believe all the nicknames were coined by @Baldr (aka Mike Moffat).

I am not sure if an official nickname for Jotunheim has been endorsed by Schiit Royalty yet, but we need one as I'm getting too lazy to keep typing it out!

Thanks

Sep 2, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #465 of 6,469

The switch on the left changes inputs. Top is built in card, middle is balanced, bottom is SE.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining
biggrin.gif

What about remote control power outlets? Or even WiFi switches? Or you could mount a power strip somewhere convenient and just power off the power strip to "mute" your speakers.

That's a good idea, definitely would work. However comparing that method of doing it vs having a third toggle switch on the front to switch between Headphone/Monitors / Monitors / Headphones big difference in terms of convenience.

I really feel like that's something you shouldn't even have to think about when buying a product like this!
To me it's literally the closest to perfect desktop AMP/DAC combo, it's just missing that ONE small detail, if it had that I think I'd be getting my wallet out.
However I might be getting my wallet out cause I just realized none of their higher tier products have this feature as well! Agh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back