Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 2, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #436 of 6,469

Congrats! What DAC are you using

So far I have just tried my Xduoo XD-05 which uses an AK4490 DAC.  Just Spotify on Optical so far.  I like the XD-05 because it sounds great, and runs on batteries (so no expensive power supply required) and because of the switchable filters.  Much more listening to go. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #437 of 6,469
What IS too bright is the front LED. I do not have other Schiit to compare it to, but far brighter than any other amp I have used and in a bedroom setup that's not good. Fortunately there is a  $7 Lightdims solution.  Amazon's $111 install charge seems a bit high but my neighbor is a stamp collector so can provide technical advice :etysmile:

Get this instead, it'll look better on Schiit's stuff

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #438 of 6,469
I would be interested if any of you guys could compare the Jotunheim with DAC option to the Magni/Modi 2U stack. Every time I consider upgrading my stack, I'm reminded of what a good value it is and how much I'd have to spend to get a significant sound upgrade. IMO, the stack punches well above its price. 

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #439 of 6,469
  I would be interested if any of you guys could compare the Jotunheim with DAC option to the Magni/Modi 2U stack. Every time I consider upgrading my stack, I'm reminded of what a good value it is and how much I'd have to spend to get a significant sound upgrade. IMO, the stack punches well above its price. 

Also, would appreciate a Joty vs. m9xx comparison.  I am in the market for a single box DAC/Amp for $500...

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #440 of 6,469
  Just got this amp (with DAC module) today and have been listening to it all afternoon. I have been using it with the LCD-XC, Ether C, and TH-X00 PH. The sound is very good on all three. I compared SE and balanced with Ether C and the XC's and wasn't able to discern a great difference in the sound quality. My favorite is the Ether C's because it draws me on to the stage and I get lost in the music. The clarity is amazing without losing the sweetness of the music. The TH-X00's keep their powerful bass and charm. I think this DAC is a bit more forgiving than the Modi MB. I moved the Modi MB to my bedroom setup. I will continue to experiment with this unit, but my initial impression is that for someone who doesn't already own a ton of equipment, this is an amazing desktop solution for this price if you have any headphones with balanced cables. I have been waiting on my LC order, but now I'm not sure if I care when it comes in now.

Good to know.  I'm waiting on fedex now.  I've been rocking my LC with HD600 and Ether C 1.1.  The LC loves both of them.  I can't wait to try the Joti

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #441 of 6,469
  In this case the SE headphone outputs and the SE Pre Outs are not sensing either.  Just got my amp in last night and am very pleased. My ears (or the amp) aren't fully burned in yet but I am surprised how different it sounds from my Gustard.  More detailed, not as dark. Not bright or edgy (unless the recording is).  Sounds great with a wide variety of phones.

In my setup the pre-out not cutting off is fine.      What IS too bright is the front LED. I do not have other Schiit to compare it to, but far brighter than any other amp I have used and in a bedroom setup that's not good. Fortunately there is a  $7 Lightdims solution.  Amazon's $111 install charge seems a bit high but my neighbor is a stamp collector so can provide technical advice 
etysmile.gif

Thanks for the link, I had not heard of that. I was using electrical tape but the installation charge was killing my headphone budget! 
beyersmile.png

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #442 of 6,469
Just found out that plugging in headphones DOES NOT mute pre-outs. Now I have to turn off speaks every time I want to listen to headphones. I really don't like this design.

Ugh that sucks, cause turning off my monitors are a pain, button is on the back and they're wall mounted...
What is the first toggle switch (from left to right) used for? I thought it was an output switch, but I guess not.

XLR jacks generally aren't sensing...

Regardless of that they really should have implemented a way to mute speaker source if headphones are being used, either with an output switch or an automatic mute.
I'm sure there is some way to do it.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #443 of 6,469

Ugh that sucks, cause turning off my monitors are a pain, button is on the back and they're wall mounted...
What is the first toggle switch (from left to right) used for? I thought it was an output switch, but I guess not.

Regardless of that they really should have implemented a way to mute speaker source if headphones are being used, either with an output switch or an automatic mute.

The switch on the left changes inputs. Top is built in card, middle is balanced, bottom is SE.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #444 of 6,469

What about remote control power outlets? Or even WiFi switches? Or you could mount a power strip somewhere convenient and just power off the power strip to "mute" your speakers.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #445 of 6,469
They should have a switch like is on the Raggy that allows switching between HP or speakers or both.

Of course with the Joti it would be HP out or bal out or both...

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #446 of 6,469
  What about remote control power outlets? Or even WiFi switches? Or you could mount a power strip somewhere convenient and just power off the power strip to "mute" your speakers.

This is a Balanced Volume Control which can go Inline between Your Jot XLR Output and your Monitors. It is Passive so like the SYS it should not pollute the audio signal. No need to power down the monitors just turn the knob down and enjoy your Cans.

http://emotiva.com/products/electronics/control-freak

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #447 of 6,469

This is a Balanced Volume Control which can go Inline between Your Jot XLR Output and your Monitors. It is Passive so like the SYS it should not pollute the audio signal. No need to power down the monitors just turn the knob down and enjoy your Cans.

I tried the control freak. Personally, I didn't find it very useful. The actual range for controlling volume was not that great. About to go pick up my Jot!! woot.

Sep 2, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #448 of 6,469

They're running a 15% off sale (SAVEBIG15) this weekend as well...takes in down another $7.50 and I think they ship free.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #449 of 6,469
They're running a 15% off sale (SAVEBIG15) this weekend as well...takes in down another $7.50 and I think they ship free.

I tried the control freak. Personally, I didn't find it very useful. The actual range for controlling volume was not that great. About to go pick up my Jot!! woot.

I can understand that. Just a suggestion. If used Just to turn the volume to max and min instead of having to power down monitors all the time. rmoody said it would have been better if it had an instant mute option which I agree with. Let us Know your Thoughts on the Jot.

I ordered a Pair of their outdoor speakers On Wednesday Got it Yesterday ( I live a few hours from Nashville). Shipping was free and fast Like Schiit. Every time I have ordered from them I get a Tracking confirmation within hours some times within an hour.

Sep 2, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #450 of 6,469
I just find it mildly humorous how so many people want different things on the Jotunheim. Maybe Schiit will take them all into consideration and introduce a $5,000 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back