Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #496 of 6,469

For those who don't like to read too much - this amplifier plays. It plays irregardless of the thing it is playing into. And it plays straight to the core of the source. If your source is harsh, your output is harsh. If your source is clean, your output is clean. I will eventually pop over to the Rag, but at this moment, I do not feel the need. If you want to hear what your source sounds like, and you don't want to buy an amplifier for every headphone, give the Jodie a try!

@sheldaze I would echo your thoughts. I'm pairing the Jodie with Gumby and I keeping thinking to myself that this amp has NO right to sound this good at this price point. It resolves your source to a fault. But put the right source behind it and what you are rewarded with is engaging and musical. 

It's too early for me to go into much detail but suffice it to say, I'm really impressed with Jodie. 

Awesome news!  This was what I was secretly hoping the Jodie (great nickname, Mike) would be capable of. 
L3000.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #497 of 6,469
I contemplated getting a Jotie for work, given the very good reviews here and the nice form factor. But the sads is that I don't have a clean source for it. I have an iBasso DX-90 with a 200GB SD card, which is plenty for my most favorite music. But the DX-90 only provides either analog line out through its own DAC (which is not bad but brighter and weaker on bass than what I'm hoping for) or S/PDIF coax. It would really nice to have an S/PDIF input option for the Jotie DAC module, but I suspect that's not on Schiit's (immediate?) roadmap. Any other suggestions, beside getting a different source (which I could, but would cost and make life more complicated)?

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #498 of 6,469
I contemplated getting a Jotie for work, given the very good reviews here and the nice form factor. But the sads is that I don't have a clean source for it. I have an iBasso DX-90 with a 200GB SD card, which is plenty for my most favorite music. But the DX-90 only provides either analog line out through its own DAC (which is not bad but brighter and weaker on bass than what I'm hoping for) or S/PDIF coax. It would really nice to have an S/PDIF input option for the Jotie DAC module, but I suspect that's not on Schiit's (immediate?) roadmap. Any other suggestions, beside getting a different source (which I could, but would cost and make life more complicated)?

What about a coax to USB converter?

Actually, after thinking about it, why not just get a warm DAC with coax in, and a bare Jot?

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #499 of 6,469
Sep 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #500 of 6,469
Sep 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #501 of 6,469
After limited googling, there really isn't a market to convert from the arguably betear spdif to USB. You are better off using the DAC from the DAP, or getting a separate DAC and a bare Jot.

Yeah, just did quite a bit of searching and nothing came up, as I feared. I'd rather not have a separate DAC for space reasons. Well, thanks, back to the drawing board...

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #502 of 6,469
Can someone please post their impressions of pairing this amp with the HEK and how it compares to much higher end Amps and Amp/DAC combos the likes of:

MacIntosh MHA 100 $4500 with DAC

ALO Studio 6 tube amp $ 4100

microZOTL 2.0 Tube amp $1100

CHORD DAVE $10,000

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #503 of 6,469
Correct me if i'm wrong: i have KRK RP8 G2 which are active monitors. Can i use Joti as a DAC to provide signal from my comp to my active monitors via Jotis pre amp rca/xlr outputs? Will it work this way? :) Thanks in advance!

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #504 of 6,469
  Correct me if i'm wrong: i have KRK RP8 G2 which are active monitors. Can i use Joti as a DAC to provide signal from my comp to my active monitors via Jotis pre amp rca/xlr outputs? Will it work this way? :) Thanks in advance!

Yes, but remember the gain switch and volume affect headphone out as well as pre outs.  Also, plugging in headphones does not mute pres so you will have to turn off your monitors when you want to listen to headphones.  

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #505 of 6,469
If enough of us want a coax card (and I do), they'll make one. So let's make some noise!

The problem with using a DAP's line out is (I believe) you lose balanced.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #506 of 6,469
Do you think a good 50-100$ USB cable will affect the sound quality of the comp->Joti chain? I know its a digital signal, but its all about good isolation of the wire, right? Computer is a hell of a noise source, so is it worth to spend money on good usb cable with 2-3 iso layers to "maximize" Joti's SQ potential? 

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #507 of 6,469
  Do you think a good 50-100$ USB cable will affect the sound quality of the comp->Joti chain? I know its a digital signal, but its all about good isolation of the wire, right? Computer is a hell of a noise source, so is it worth to spend money on good usb cable with 2-3 iso layers to "maximize" Joti's SQ potential? 

No.

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #508 of 6,469

For that kind of money IMO, no.  For example you could get a better USB source such as http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/07/audio-grade-usb-30-pcie-card.html for $130 dollars and probably get much better results.  

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #509 of 6,469
@jude - can you PLEASE post some notes comparing the Jot + DAC module to the Grace m9xx?
Both cost $500. I intend to buy one and use a PC as source. SE only. Powered speakers through the RCA pre-amp outputs, and various headphones (HE400i, HD600, AT m50x, Audeze Sine) which are all SE.  No IEMs at all.
Mostly to be used with Rock and Alternative music, as well as movie watching (on PC).

Having listed above my setup and use scenarios - should I opt for the m9xx or Joty with DAC?

Thanks in advance!!

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #510 of 6,469
I think that's conceptually insane but I tend to take a lot of heat when I say that, so I guess my official response is yes! Definite improvement! More holographic! The more expensive the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back