Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,231 of 6,472
Finally i sold my jotunheim. After the experience with mojo,i can't listen the internal dac.the amplifier section is really good. I believe with a good balanced dac sounds espectacular.
In every case, the jotunheim is a really good product for the price

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #4,234 of 6,472
Finally i sold my jotunheim. After the experience with mojo,i can't listen the internal dac.the amplifier section is really good. I believe with a good balanced dac sounds espectacular.

Do you mean that you prefer Mojo's sound over Jotunheim's sound?

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,235 of 6,472
  Do you mean that you prefer Mojo's sound over Jotunheim's sound?

i connected the mojo to jotunheim and the result is really good but my headhone is easy to drive and i want a single unit. for this reason i sold the jot.
considering every electronic alone, yes i prefere the mojo.
i still have the curiosity to try the jot with another dac like gugnir or denafrips ares

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #4,236 of 6,472
  You would be using the Jot as a preamp for the connected amp.  The Jot's DAC will convert the digital to analog and it will output analog, what you do with that signal is up to you.  

Yes, exactly that's what I think! If the preamp output is clean and nothing fuzzy is going on in the box, then this would be the cheapest 'real' balanced DAC on earth if I really want a balanced DAC and enjoy it with some of my other amps~

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #4,237 of 6,472

I can see the problem! The DAC in there is essentially just a balanced Modi 2 without any nice circuiting to place filters. I don't think this module thing is gonna be really good anyway.

What I think could be useful is to use a very nice OCC USB cable that solidifies the lows/mids.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #4,238 of 6,472
I would take Modi Multibit and a Vali 2 over Jot with just balanced DAC.  Don't get caught up on the balanced is better train.  It's not.  Also, spend your money on better DAC/amp over silly cables.  Not saying cables don't matter but digital cables will be the least change.  Analog interconnects will have a greater effect.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #4,239 of 6,472
  I would take Modi Multibit and a Vali 2 over Jot with just balanced DAC.  Don't get caught up on the balanced is better train.  It's not.  Also, spend your money on better DAC/amp over silly cables.  Not saying cables don't matter but digital cables will be the least change.  Analog interconnects will have a greater effect.  

You absolutely right.

I believe the modi multibit is gonna be good and thinking of getting one recently~

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,240 of 6,472
but balanced is better, everything else being equal. Of course a 100$ balanced dac card can't compete with a 250$ standalone product, single ended or not. Apples and oranges. But if i've got a balanced DAC and AMP, im certainly going to use it's balanced features. You don't buy a Yggy or even Gumby to run them SE.

Reading "The Road to Jotunheim" it seems like Jason needed an excuse to create this AMP with it's Pivot Point Topology, with no clear product placement, so he shoehorned a dac into it. I almost wish he dident. Guess that does not matter though, as the unit is available without the Dac module. And they would have likely used this chasis size either way.

It does compete well with other "Dac-Amp" combo type products in it's price range. Im sure there are products that can challenge it, but it's a short list. Audio GD stuff  comes to mind, if Modi-Multibit wasent a thing, we'd all be singing Jot's praises.

They may have been better off making it's internal dac single ended, and utilizing the additional space for a better USB implementation and/or filters, or possibly a better  output stage, that's not passive and sending signal though a pair of Wima's. It is a different animal with better USB input imho.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4,241 of 6,472
Everything else can't be equal.  Double the parts, twice the complexity, added issues due to space constraints/heat and a higher price point due to more parts and modified design.  Most of the ToTL amps aren't balanced.  I'm not knocking it as I use a Freya and a Jot but I'd take my Zana Deux over both of those any day.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #4,242 of 6,472
Some implementations of balanced offer superior parts and more power. Some don't. I generally use balanced, but you absolutely need to dig below the surface to figure out what's right for you.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #4,243 of 6,472
I wrote about balanced dac just because the jot has balanced input. The balanced connection on the source is different compared to balanced headphone. And i wrote that i tried the mojo that is se and jot works perfectly in this configuration. About internal dac, in my opinion isn't bad, just not so good like a separate solution. For 100 dollars is difficult to make better

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,245 of 6,472

I agree with everything you've said asides the "balanced is not better" comment - if we're talking headphone balanced out then I've found that to not be true at all. Given the context and @MikeW 's reply I assume you are speaking of balanced DAC -> balanced amp only in which case I'd say the differences are much slighter (if at all there), indeed, however the way you worded your reply sort of makes it sound like you're bundling all things balanced into the same bag which, in my opinion, is absolutely unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back