Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 28, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #4,246 of 6,473
Everyone needs to calm down on this whole balanced debate, this will never get figured out here. If an amp or DAC was designed to be used balanced, it'll probably sound better in balanced mode. If balanced mode is offered just for convenience, you should expect no difference. If the balanced signal can be generated into an amp without much change in the signal, then there probably won't be much of a difference. In the case of the Jot, since only half the amp is used in SE output, but the whole amp can be used with an unbalanced or balanced input through the balanced output, but will provide more power through balanced output, it really depends on the headphone. If it's a "power hungry" headphone then it should sound better through balanced output. If it's a very sensitive headphone, it's highly unlikely you'll notice any difference from the added power. If you want to talk about noise floor and all of those specs, fine, but inaudible is inaudible is inaudible. I don't care if the balanced output has less noise that I still won't ever hear and it's crazy that people still argue these points. I'm exhausted.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,248 of 6,473
  I'm looking the DAC stack with Jot, what's the best DAC. considering price to performance on budget <=$500
and anyone here already tried JOT Vs oppo ha-1?
thanks

used bimby. no u can't have mine :p

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #4,249 of 6,473
I don't think now's a great time to buy a Bimby.. Mimby's too good, or Bimby not good enough. Either way, im waiting  for the next Bifrost update before I make any choices. The Jotunheim dac + Recovery + Ifi will be fine until then.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #4,250 of 6,473
  I don't think now's a great time to buy a Bimby.. Mimby's too good, or Bimby not good enough. Either way, im waiting  for the next Bifrost update before I make any choices. The Jotunheim dac + Recovery + Ifi will be fine until then.

The thing that's great about the Bifrost is that you don't need to wait for anything, you can upgrade it whenever you want. You may be waiting a long time for another upgrade board. I bet if it's anything, it would be a new USB board, since Multibit is kind of the culmination of what they've been working on in that realm. I think now is the best time to buy a Bifrost, especially if you don't use USB primarily, because I've found Windows and USB audio to be far too much of a problem for me to sort out. They always keep us guessing though, so who knows what they have up their sleeves.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,251 of 6,473
I suspect their Bimby Sales have fallen off a cliff, so it would be in their best interest to update it, sooner rather then later. They could use the DSP from Gumby in it, or maybe make it balanced, or improve the USB, etc.. there's plenty of room for improvement. If they killed Bimby with Mimby, who's to say they won't kill gumby with the next version of Bimby

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #4,253 of 6,473

I'm looking the DAC stack with Jot, what's the best DAC. considering price to performance on budget <=$500
and anyone here already tried JOT Vs oppo ha-1?
thanks

used bimby. no u can't have mine :p

frown.gif
 yes, I think used bimby is good too, still considering the other choices

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,254 of 6,473
I'd pay for improved USB on the Bimby.

mike has a great usb upgrade just for u! it's called "buy an optical cable." Plugs into every mac's headphone jack.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #4,255 of 6,473
  I suspect their Bimby Sales have fallen off a cliff, so it would be in their best interest to update it, sooner rather then later. They could use the DSP from Gumby in it, or maybe make it balanced, or improve the USB, etc.. there's plenty of room for improvement. If they killed Bimby with Mimby, who's to say they won't kill gumby with the next version of Bimby

4490 version is out of stock right now and I've seen the Multibit go out as well. It looks like it's still selling just fine. I don't know why you assume they have fallen off a cliff. People are still discovering Schiit and the value they pose all the time. As for the balanced part, that literally requires double the parts and they have said a bunch of times they aren't going to do it.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #4,256 of 6,473
Aloha Peeps!

Thoroughly enjoying being part of of one of the best Schiit families in the World!

As my Jot has a balanced out, I would like to try a couple of cans with it... Rude not to..!

I am in need of suggestions of cable suppliers that members have had positive experiences with. I am in the UK and although I am not shy of importing there must be some good companies here in the UK and the EU?

Just so you know, I have searched around but feel far more secure if members can reccommend companies as I am a rapidly advancing beginner, but a beginner nevertheless.

Thank you! :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,257 of 6,473
I pass along Jason's perhaps best piece of advice: spend the lion's share of your money on cans and speakers, not amps and DACs. With the splendid jot, the HD6x0 series will make you very happy. Ditto LCD series, the old HE500 or HE400 series, the mr speakers stuff. Elear, Utopia (if u can afford it). If you have Sonarworks I'd even recommend HD800, though not without, even if all you listen to is classical.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4,258 of 6,473
mike has a great usb upgrade just for u! it's called "buy an optical cable." Plugs into every mac's headphone jack.

The problem is most pcs have aweful horrible optical out. And a good optical out cost about 600$(Lynx). Not to mention optical is inherently inferior to galvanically isolated coax based on the reciever chips alone. Most optical receivers have a minimum 50ps jitter, while coax is down in the sub 10ps range. You can upgrade schiit USB by using reclockers.

It really is absurd what lengths we have to go through for a good transport. I hear the xmos singer f1 is supposed to be pretty good.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #4,259 of 6,473
Has anyone tried the Sennheiser HD650 with both the Schiit Ragnarok and Schiit Jotunheim?
If so, what are the sonic differences, and which has the best synergy with the HD650?
Which opens up the top-end the most?
Thanks!

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4,260 of 6,473
Has anyone tried the Sennheiser HD650 with both the Schiit Ragnarok and Schiit Jotunheim?
If so, what are the sonic differences, and which has the best synergy with the HD650?
Which opens up the top-end the most?
Thanks!

Buying a Ragnarok to power an HD650 sounds a little absurd. I'd just buy a better headphone at that point. If you're after top-end detail/shimmer/that sort of stuff, the HD800S would be a big upgrade for you, or a Mr Speakers Ether C Flow or something like that. Or just go with the Jotunheim, it has plenty of power. Both are kinda bright so they'll botn open up the top end for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back