Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 19, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,596 of 6,469
Has anyone compared the Merdian Prime headphone amp/DAC to the MODI/JOT combo? Read somewhere that it was a great amomand has crossfeed ro open up some phones but not powerful enough to use with planars like HEK 1000 as a primary amp.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,597 of 6,469
I'll try to get a Power conditioner first, and change the RCAs with some Audioquest's.
if not working. gonna RMA

Maybe there are some RF interference gone into your system. When you touch the chassic, the RF is bypass from your hand to ground so the noise disappeared. Try to put any cell phone away from the setup. Or turn the phone into flight mode to see if the noise can be improved before sending to RMA.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,598 of 6,469
I'll try to get a Power conditioner first, and change the RCAs with some Audioquest's.

Avoid spending money on cables. It's probably an inproper ground or power supply in your computer that isnt filter the noise from the hardware in your computer very well, and is translating into noise that goes into whatever the hell you have plugged into that power bar. So either you are buying a 50 foot extension cable from Home Depot, and plugging your computer into an outlet in your kitchen, or you are buying this (see link).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF4R8C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000OF4R8C&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwpuresimula-20&linkId=NBKVXK5EAVHPROG5

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,599 of 6,469
The data that is being constantly read on your drives translate to noise in a poorly filtered system. On another note, ground loops can also create noise. In somecases ground loops can happen, and some pro studio level equipment, like my Bryston 2bLP, or DI Boxes for recording have ground lift switch to break the loop that causes the noise. However ive yet to see a legitamite Audiophile piece of sh-- i mean equipment provide something like that.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #2,600 of 6,469
Shoot. I know ive posted like three comments in a row, but it should worth asking, how long are the cables you are running? I would suggest, if you do decide to replace your interconnections, get some XLRs for the Jot off of Amazon, because balanced connection are better for keeping out interference, and can be run much longer lengths without interference

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,602 of 6,469

If you're hearing it with no inputs, it would have nothing to do with your RCA interconnects, so don't waste money there.

As far as power goes, make sure you try it without a surge protector. If you still have noise, try an outlet on a different circuit. If you still have noise, try to turn off anything/everything around it (just to rule out interference).

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,604 of 6,469
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm using the Jot with HA-2, since it doesn't
have the DAC module. and yes the computer is noisy when use the onboard sound card(which is dumb, I know)
So noisy that i can head the digital mouse movement registerations.
But even with using the HA-2 I'm still getting some, and without any input I still hear interference from where I don't know...

Avoid spending money on cables. It's probably an inproper ground or power supply in your computer that isnt filter the noise from the hardware in your computer very well, and is translating into noise that goes into whatever the hell you have plugged into that power bar. So either you are buying a 50 foot extension cable from Home Depot, and plugging your computer into an outlet in your kitchen, or you are buying this (see link).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF4R8C/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000OF4R8C&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwpuresimula-20&linkId=NBKVXK5EAVHPROG5

Unfortunetaly I'm in Germany, meaning that power outlet is not gonna work. i also tried jot in other rooms, still got the same crappy noise.
I hope a power conditioner works, otherwise RMA is my only option. Still pying 150 euros for a power conditioner hurts...
and you all are right about not spending on RCA cables, but i really wanna narrow down the problem for my future buys.
thank you all

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,605 of 6,469
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm using the Jot with HA-2, since it doesn't
have the DAC module. and yes the computer is noisy when use the onboard sound card(which is dumb, I know)
So noisy that i can head the digital mouse movement registerations.
But even with using the HA-2 I'm still getting some, and without any input I still hear interference from where I don't know...

Unfortunetaly I'm in Germany, meaning that power outlet is not gonna work. i also tried jot in other rooms, still got the same crappy noise.
I hope a power conditioner works, otherwise RMA is my only option. Still pying 150 euros for a power conditioner hurts...
and you all are right about not spending on RCA cables, but i really wanna narrow down the problem for my future buys.
thank you all

Yeah, try a power conditioner first. If it still happens, maybe contact Customer Service for Schiit Audio to see what they say

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,607 of 6,469
Curious - we all know the HE-6 is a peculiar beast, but I've noticed that the Jotunheim seems to get a shrug, and the Lyr seems to get a thumbs down. Yet, the Lyr puts out a full watt (i.e. 33%) more at 50 single-ended than the Joty does balanced. Is there something in the balanced mystique that makes the Joty more desirable than something a full watt more powerful?

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,608 of 6,469
Random question, if I get one of these with the DAC built in, am I able to play music off of my Galaxy S7 Edge whilst connected to it via USB, bypassing the S7 Edge's internal DAC, and instead using the Jotunheim's DAC (and obviously amp) instead? Sounds weird to want to play music from a phone, but there are times where in bed, I'd rather just connect my phone to a DAC/amp as oppose to my larger, more cumbersome laptop. If I buy the Jotunheim, it will essentially be used as a bedside DAC/amp combo.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,609 of 6,469
Quote:
  Sounds weird to want to play music from a phone, but there are times where in bed, I'd rather just connect my phone to a DAC/amp as oppose to my larger, more cumbersome laptop.

I've been using smartphones as music servers for over four years. When my CDP and CD transport died on me in 2010 and 2011 I used computers, but both my laptop and desktop had fans that were audible late at night.  The smartphones have no such problems. And while initially the S3 had a problem with some DACs that required special drivers, the latest Neutron drivers actually allows the Note3 and my S5 to work with such DACs (no idea about the old SGS3 though, I gave that to my cousin).

Random question, if I get one of these with the DAC built in, am I able to play music off of my Galaxy S7 Edge whilst connected to it via USB, bypassing the S7 Edge's internal DAC, and instead using the Jotunheim's DAC (and obviously amp) instead?

The problem there I think is that the Jotunheim USB DAC module isn't getting power from the amp's power supply, and if so, then it's dependent on USB power, which a smartphone might not be able to deliver. I could be wrong though. Generally however everything from the SGS3 and Note2 onwards have no compatibility problems as long as the DAC uses generic USB drivers and require very little power (the Meier amp above needs it only for the indicator lamp), but again the Note3 actually works with no fuss vs my Win7 laptop.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,610 of 6,469

So, that little guy saved my Jot from getting sent back, It's a 3.5mm noise Filter (13€). Using HA-2 as a dac, the floor is dead silent, but if I
Connect Jot directly to the PC (PC line out I mean,which is dumb), even with the noise filter, I'm still hearing interference.
Fun Fact: as everybody here said, there was no difference between the 40€ audioquest cable and 6€ kabeldirekt branded one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back