Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,566 of 6,472
Do DAC's like Yggy have gain stage also?

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,567 of 6,472
  I was intrigued by your post and thought that I would try this out.  I don't have the HD800 but I do have the HD650.  So I connected my Bifrost MB output into the Vali 2 input and then using the V2 preamp out I went into the Jotunheim SE input.  Interesting change in sound but I think the sound is cleaner just using the Jot without the Vali 2.

If you're going to chain them for ease of hookup, it'd make more sense to feed the Vali 2 from the pre-out of the Jot, as Jot is such a low-noise amp. Alternatively, you can just use a Sys backwards, to switch the DAC  between both amps- which will be very clean, as Sys is totally passive. Just have the knob right up on the Sys.

Of course, if you're trying to "tube-ify" the Jot for some godawful reason, you'd hook them up the other way around.. but that seems a little daft.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,568 of 6,472
  Do DAC's like Yggy have gain stage also?

Yggy, like all DACs, has an analog output stage.

Generically, the output stages of of a canonical DAC include:

1. Current to voltage (I-V) conversion
2. Filters
3. Gain stage (need to get up to line level voltage)
4. Output buffers

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #2,569 of 6,472

By doing this, you basically have two gain stages.  Preamp 1 is adding gain, which feeds Preamp 2, which also has gain.  How much gain each adds depend on the knobs.

If these were passive devices, it wouldn't really matter.  But active gain stages add noise, so you don't want to do this unless you have a reason to.  In this case, there isn't a reason to.

Reasons for stacking gain stages: phono stages (have to boost the mV output of vinyl cartridges to standard 2V used by line stages) and microphones (differences in sensitivity among mics).

I see, thanks for clarifying this for me.  I guess that explains why I initially found the sound to be cleaner and more cohesive without the Vali 2 in the chain.  However there does seem to be a bit more live-like ambience when the Vali 2 is being used as the preamp.  I found that it sounds best with the V2 in low gain and the V2 volume turned somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 and then using the Jot to set to desired loudness.

It definitely sounds different but I haven't decided if this different is better.  It is fun to experiment though.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,570 of 6,472
  I see, thanks for clarifying this for me.  I guess that explains why I initially found the sound to be cleaner and more cohesive without the Vali 2 in the chain.  However there does seem to be a bit more live-like ambience when the Vali 2 is being used as the preamp.  I found that it sounds best with the V2 in low gain and the V2 volume turned somewhere between 1/3 - 1/2 and then using the Jot to set to desired loudness.

It definitely sounds different but I haven't decided if this different is better.  It is fun to experiment though.

Tailoring sound to your preferences is fine, but using EQ is a much more effective (and cheaper) way to do it, rather than trying to stack electronic components (unless it's an FX box) to create a certain signature.

There are known parametric EQ bands for manipulating imaging depth, transparency, warmth, detail, "air", etc.  This is what recording engineers do.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,572 of 6,472

Tailoring sound to your preferences is fine, but using EQ is a much more effective (and cheaper) way to do it, rather than trying to stack electronic components (unless it's an FX box) to create a certain signature.

There are known parametric EQ bands for manipulating imaging depth, transparency, warmth, detail, "air", etc.  This is what recording engineers do.

Indeed, good advice.  My source is a FiiO X5ii so I don't have a very sophisticated device for EQ'ing, but at least there is one on there to try.  I do have a custom setting that I use to smooth out the HD650 mid bass hump.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,573 of 6,472
Does a parametric EQ add noise to the chain? Any model to look for?

Do it in software, before D/A.

If the software upsamples the bit depth first, the impact on on the noise floor should be well below audibility.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,574 of 6,472
  Of course, if you're trying to "tube-ify" the Jot for some godawful reason, you'd hook them up the other way around.. but that seems a little daft.

i think you'd get a poor man's MJ2 with a better implementation of solid state.

I'd still advise people go straight for MJ2.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #2,575 of 6,472
I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. Can you connect an iPhone directly to the Jotunheim's USB DAC using a USB - iPhone cable to play music? In other words, will the phone recognize the Jot as an external audio device when it is connected?

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,576 of 6,472
  I haven't seen this discussed anywhere. Can you connect an iPhone directly to the Jotunheim's USB DAC using a USB - iPhone cable to play music? In other words, will the phone recognize the Jot as an external audio device when it is connected?

Yes. You'll need the Apple CCK (camera connection kit) and a standard USB host cable. iOS devices recognise the Schiit USB audio interfaces without problems, as a rule.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,579 of 6,472

Yes. You'll need the Apple CCK (camera connection kit) and a standard USB host cable. iOS devices recognise the Schiit USB audio interfaces without problems, as a rule.

Thanks. I have that adapter and use it with my Parasound Zdac, but hadn't seen whether the Jotunheim DAC supported this or not (perhaps it's intrinsic to the USB audio spec, I'm not sure.)

In any event, it's a really convenient way to stream from Apple Music. As I get closer to pulling the trigger on a Jotunheim, I wanted to be sure I wouldn't lose this capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back