Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #2,581 of 6,472
  heh, with the balanced cables on the Jot, my HE 560 doesn't sound as bright and the soundstage issue is fixed.

Yeah, that is weird- neither the HE-400i nor 560 sound quite as bright. They both benefit quite a bit from going balanced (though obviously not as much as the power hog HD650). Yet another nice surprise from the Jot.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #2,582 of 6,472

Yes. You'll need the Apple CCK (camera connection kit) and a standard USB host cable. iOS devices recognise the Schiit USB audio interfaces without problems, as a rule.

According to Schiit's site, it's potentially a little more complicated:
"Lightning connector: if you have an iPhone running iOS7 or above or iPad running iOS6 or above with the new Lightning connector, you can use the Lightning to USB Adapter from Apple, together with a powered hub to avoid the "this device draws too much power" error. You'll also need a USB cable."

According to them, you need a powered USB hub to avoid that error. I have the FIIO E17k and indeed, you have to turn off it's "USB charging" option to avoid this error. Ancipital, can you confirm a USB hub is not needed (if you have such an Apple device)? I ask because I'm going to buy the same setup as you (Mimby/Jot) and I'd like to be able to run the system with my iPhone 6+ as the music player if I want to take the system away from my computer. Maybe the powered USB is only needed if you've got a DAC in the mix?

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #2,583 of 6,472
Ok so here is a hypothetical question; 

If I run Modi Multibit to Jotunheim and connect balanced headphones (say he-560 or HD650 as I will have both, though only SE for now), am I actually running in balanced mode? My guess is no since the input isn't balanced as its coming out SE from the Modi. BUT, since i would be plugged into the balanced 4 pin headphone out, would my cans be getting the enhanced balanced power output? Or is that only possible when using the Jot DAC, skipping mimby?

My question boils down to do I spend $250 to get the mimby upgrade to my original Modi and run SE or spend $250 to get the DAC in the Jot and balanced cables for both my cans? I don't actually have the Jot but strongly considering. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,584 of 6,472

If I run Modi Multibit to Jotunheim and connect balanced headphones (say he-560 or HD650 as I will have both, though only SE for now), am I actually running in balanced mode? My guess is no since the input isn't balanced as its coming out SE from the Modi. BUT, since i would be plugged into the balanced 4 pin headphone out, would my cans be getting the enhanced balanced power output? Or is that only possible when using the Jot DAC, skipping mimby?

My question boils down to do I spend $250 to get the mimby upgrade to my original Modi and run SE or spend $250 to get the DAC in the Jot and balanced cables for both my cans? I don't actually have the Jot but strongly considering. 

My understanding is that it will not be FULLY balanced when the SE input is used but the Jot circuitry will still output balanced when the balanced output is used. Also you will get the higher output power through the balanced output.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #2,585 of 6,472

The Jot has fully balanced output regardless of the input being SE or balanced.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #2,587 of 6,472

"Lightning connector: if you have an iPhone running iOS7 or above or iPad running iOS6 or above with the new Lightning connector, you can use the Lightning to USB Adapter from Apple, together with a powered hub to avoid the "this device draws too much power" error. You'll also need a USB cable."

According to them, you need a powered USB hub to avoid that error. I have the FIIO E17k and indeed, you have to turn off it's "USB charging" option to avoid this error. Ancipital, can you confirm a USB hub is not needed (if you have such an Apple device)? I ask because I'm going to buy the same setup as you (Mimby/Jot) and I'd like to be able to run the system with my iPhone 6+ as the music player if I want to take the system away from my computer. Maybe the powered USB is only needed if you've got a DAC in the mix?

That's a good point. My understanding is the Jotunheim's DAC is powered by the USB connection, so it may in fact not work with an iPhone without a powered hub (or if it does, will run down the iPhone's battery charge quickly). That's a bummer if true. If anyone can confirm/disconfirm, I would appreciate it.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,588 of 6,472

Some time ago I have contacted Schiit support and they said that powered hub is required. However, I have iPad mini and it works directly just with CCK cable both with built-in Jot's DAC and with Mimby. No complains about excessive power drain. 
Also, there is new CCK model MK0W2ZM/A to which you can attach charger together with USB data cable at the same time in the case power error occurs.

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,589 of 6,472
Hey guys need you help Here!
frown.gif

just got the Joty couple of days ago. today I found out,
even with no inputs connected into joty, on higher voulumes when listening with
cans, I hear a very anooying static noise. But when I touched the joty and side panel of my PC case,
it goes away. has anyone elese such a experience? is this a ground loop? can it be fixed?

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,590 of 6,472
  Hey guys need you help Here!
frown.gif

just got the Joty couple of days ago. today I found out,
even with no inputs connected into joty, on higher voulumes when listening with
cans, I hear a very anooying static noise. But when I touched the joty and side panel of my PC case,
it goes away. has anyone elese such a experience? is this a ground loop? can it be fixed?

Are you using the internal DAC?

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,591 of 6,472

Oh crap, yes, I should have mentioned that. Use the new style adaptor, or Grab a Wyrd and put it in line, if you get that message. My bad. I only had a brief play with the DAC, my own Jot doesn't have one. I am an idiot!

The Jot DAC draws some power over USB, I think. The Mimby doesn't- though it will use the USB VBUS to detect the connection.. it just won't really load it. I've plugged it directly into my iPad with the CCK many times, without issues. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #2,595 of 6,472
Is the DAC part powered trough the usb or the powersupply of Jutunheim? Maybe its already said but must have missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back