Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #2,611 of 6,472

The problem there I think is that the Jotunheim USB DAC module isn't getting power from the amp's power supply, and if so, then it's dependent on USB power, which a smartphone might not be able to deliver. I could be wrong though. Generally however everything from the SGS3 and Note2 onwards have no compatibility problems as long as the DAC uses generic USB drivers and require very little power (the Meier amp above needs it only for the indicator lamp), but again the Note3 actually works with no fuss vs my Win7 laptop.

Interesting. I guess I better email Schiit to find out. If not, I might give the Modi 2U (or Multibit) and Magni 2U combo a go. Bit of a shame I'll miss out on the balanced XLR, but I don't want to spend more than $500 for a convenient additional bedside set up, when I do actually still have a full on set up.

Nov 21, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,612 of 6,472
The problem there I think is that the Jotunheim USB DAC module isn't getting power from the amp's power supply, and if so, then it's dependent on USB power, which a smartphone might not be able to deliver. I could be wrong though. Generally however everything from the SGS3 and Note2 onwards have no compatibility problems as long as the DAC uses generic USB drivers and require very little power (the Meier amp above needs it only for the indicator lamp), but again the Note3 actually works with no fuss vs my Win7 laptop.

What are two dacs in pictures? Silver one looks very interesting...

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #2,617 of 6,472
Hi everyone..

I have a question for all of you....First, I have Jot and Bimby combo.  However, Bimby doesn't have USB port, instead it has optical.
I would like to plug optical into PC, my question is "Is this possible or not possible"

If possible how,

Thank you

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,618 of 6,472
  Hi everyone..

I have a question for all of you....First, I have Jot and Bimby combo.  However, Bimby doesn't have USB port, instead it has optical.
I would like to plug optical into PC, my question is "Is this possible or not possible"

If possible how,

Thank you

Wyred 4 sound uLink is your solution. It's a USB to 3 SPDIF output (1 BNC, 1 Optical, 1 RCA)

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,619 of 6,472
The easiest answer would be to get an usb/spdif converter - a lot of versions out there - you can probably get a very good deal on a used one.  Wyred4sound ulink has optical out.  By the way I thought the Bitfrost had usb input. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #2,620 of 6,472
  ...  However, Bimby doesn't have USB port, instead it has optical.

How come Bimby doesn't have a USB? If you have a regular PC then you could use a soundcard that has optical out - I use an Asus Xonar STX that has optical and Coax, but there are cheaper cards with just optical out.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #2,621 of 6,472
  The easiest answer would be to get an usb/spdif converter - a lot of versions out there - you can probably get a very good deal on a used one.  Wyred4sound ulink has optical out.  By the way I thought the Bitfrost had usb input. 

USB was optional for Bifrost back then until 4490 or 4396 came.

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,623 of 6,472
  But, Bimby is the Bifrost Multibit it has USB.

If the previous owner had the original Bifrost board without the USB see below (credit to @Torq for pics), that owner can send the board to Schiit to upgrade the firmware for multibit. It essentially becomes a Multibit without USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back