Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 21, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,626 of 6,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naim.F.C /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting. I guess I better email Schiit to find out. If not, I might give the Modi 2U (or Multibit) and Magni 2U combo a go. Bit of a shame I'll miss out on the balanced XLR, but I don't want to spend more than $500 for a convenient additional bedside set up, when I do actually still have a full on set up.

You can spend just a little bit more and use the Schiit Decrapifier as a USB power source if the Jotunheim's DAC module is dependent on USB power.

Quote:

What are two dacs in pictures? Silver one looks very interesting...

Black is Pangea HP101, still available on Amazon for under $100. The silver amp is the Meier Cantate.2 (USB DAC is only 16/44.1 to 48), already discontinued but Meier sells the Jazz and Classic along with the DACcord.

Nov 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #2,627 of 6,472

Jotunheim vs V100 vs G109p? only those who have heard at least 2 please.

looking for a one fit all solution.  
Note: im fully aware of the power spec differences, balanced in/out differences.

are they in the same league?
are there headphones that only ship with 4pin xlr?

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #2,628 of 6,472

You can spend just a little bit more and use the Schiit Decrapifier as a USB power source if the Jotunheim's DAC module is dependent on USB power.

I can't believe the Decrapifier is a legitimate product name lol. Had to google it to be sure.

Anyway I ordered the Fostex HP-A4BL in the interim. If I can procure a Jotunheim as well, I'll do a comparison between the two, as well as reviews of each. From the specs alone, it seems the Jotunheim has a tonne more power, but from what I've read from online impressions, that doesn't necessarily translate to such a gulf in real world listening and volume. Also, from what I can gather the Jotunheim offers a fairly articulate and detailed presentation, whilst the HP-A4BL is a little warmer. What I'm most interested to see is how the balanced outputs fair from each.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #2,629 of 6,472
It appears that the expansion slot of the Jotunheim doesn't have its own power supply. The DAC module is USB powered, and the phono preamp is passive. I wonder, what other modules can be put in there without its own power supply?

Digital Coax and Optical need not apply, unless Schiit offers an expansion slot power upgrade/or includes its own power supply with the expansion card via wall-wart.

As an aside - are there any DAPs that support USB-OTG? I'm currently using a FiiO X5 via coax through a Bifrost, and am interested to use the USB DAC on the Jotunheim to go 100% balanced (which still confuses me a bit).

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,630 of 6,472
  It appears that the expansion slot of the Jotunheim doesn't have its own power supply. The DAC module is USB powered, and the phono preamp is passive. I wonder, what other modules can be put in there without its own power supply?

Digital Coax and Optical need not apply, unless Schiit offers an expansion slot power upgrade/or includes its own power supply with the expansion card via wall-wart.

As an aside - are there any DAPs that support USB-OTG? I'm currently using a FiiO X5 via coax through a Bifrost, and am interested to use the USB DAC on the Jotunheim to go 100% balanced (which still confuses me a bit).

I think the USB controller is powered by the USB port. The DAC chip and analog section is powered by the internal power supply. I'm almost sure I read Jason say this in one of the posts here or in another forum I read.
The same for the phono preamp, it wouldn't provide the necessary gain without any power provided to it.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #2,631 of 6,472

I think the USB controller is powered by the USB port. The DAC chip and analog section is powered by the internal power supply. I'm almost sure I read Jason say this in one of the posts here or in another forum I read.
The same for the phono preamp, it wouldn't provide the necessary gain without any power provided to it.

Very interesting - I guess "fully passive" in the context of a phono preamp requires context. I just wonder what the possibilities are for future upgrades. I bet people would lose their **** over a multibit option, but I wonder how much they can get away with without using a second power source.

But hey - an expansion slot requiring its own wall wart is okay by me.

Nov 24, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2,632 of 6,472

​Non-fullsize computers - ie, tablets and smartphones - theoretically should still work with  the Jotunheim with an additional USB power supply like the Schiit Decrapifier or that other galvanized USB power isolator.

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,633 of 6,472
Has anyone used the Jotunheim as a pre amp between a higher end DAC and amp for passive speakers?  I just picked up a pair of LCD-2 from the B-Stock sale, so it's time to grab and amp for them.  I've got a Lampizator Euforia DAC feeding a Don Garber Fi-X 2A3 amp feeding my speakers.  The Fi-X is an "integrated" as it has a passive volume control to it, and using that sounds amazing.  

So what I was thinking was getting the Jotunheim w/ Phono (for later use) and sticking it inbetween the Lampi and the Fi-X and using it as a pre-amp instead of the control on the Fi-X.  Do you think that this would degrade the sound any for the Fi-X, since it's not first and foremost a preamp?  I don't really have the room or budget right now to buy a full fledged real pre-amp or much more expensive headphone amp.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,637 of 6,472
So Jotunheim or Vali 2 / Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Multibit combo for HD 650?

Oh sorry about that, yes my Jot is amp only. Didn't need another DAC as I already have the Modi MB, Bifrost MB and Bifrost 4490.

So you are using Jotunheim only as an amplifier? I was referring to the combo which has the DAC included.

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #2,639 of 6,472
Very interesting - I guess "fully passive" in the context of a phono preamp requires context. 

"Optional Passive Filtered Phono Stage:"
"Topology: Fully passive RIAA network with AD8599 gain stages and PET film capacitors throughout, DC coupled, with DC servo"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back