Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #140,538 of 152,752
As someone who has spent a rather significant amount of his life in a small village in northern Italy at a restaurant that's predominantly serving locals, I think I'm in a reasonably decent position to say:
Real Italians drink their espresso any god-damned way they like. Black, milk, sugar, cream … doesn't matter.
I'm sure that actual Italians (as opposed to a wannabe part-time South Tyrolean such as myself) like @Pietro Cozzi Tinin will be happy to confirm that.

That said, snooty espresso snobs exist in Italy just as much as elsewhere. Maybe the author of that article mistook those for "real Italians"?

As with audio, the same advice applies to espresso — or any other hobby, vice, lifestyle, belief, kink, whatever:
As long as it doesn't impede on others doing the same, do whatever blows your hair back. ✌️😎

Yes, and some Italian will not drink cappuccino after noon.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #140,539 of 152,752
Precisely what that cable is. Excellent!
Belden’s headquarters is in Northern Indiana and I got to know the cables and connectors from fellow engineers at a local university.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #140,540 of 152,752
Name and location please
This is the "new" thing around Philly now. Cheesesteak on a garlic bread roll. Several of the pizza type places near me in South Jersey are doing it. I haven't been to the big cheesesteaks places (Pat's, Geno's, Jim's) in awhile, so not sure of they are doing this as well.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #140,541 of 152,752
As someone who has spent a rather significant amount of his life in a small village in northern Italy at a restaurant that's predominantly serving locals, I think I'm in a reasonably decent position to say:
Real Italians drink their espresso any god-damned way they like. Black, milk, sugar, cream … doesn't matter.
I'm sure that actual Italians (as opposed to a wannabe part-time South Tyrolean such as myself) like @Pietro Cozzi Tinin will be happy to confirm that.

That said, snooty espresso snobs exist in Italy just as much as elsewhere. Maybe the author of that article mistook those for "real Italians"?

As with audio, the same advice applies to espresso — or any other hobby, vice, lifestyle, belief, kink, whatever:
As long as it doesn't impede on others doing the same, do whatever blows your hair back. ✌️😎
Great! I'm ok now with my L'OR Barista espresso machine and adding a little sugar before brewing a pod. Wasn't concerned before either, but just sharing an "interesting" article I read a few months ago.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #140,542 of 152,752
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #140,543 of 152,752
Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #140,544 of 152,752
Feb 22, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #140,545 of 152,752
Indeed but I never saw anyone in my regio drink his/her espresso without sugar. Ever.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #140,546 of 152,752
This is the "new" thing around Philly now. Cheesesteak on a garlic bread roll. Several of the pizza type places near me in South Jersey are doing it. I haven't been to the big cheesesteaks places (Pat's, Geno's, Jim's) in awhile, so not sure of they are doing this as well.
I live in the AC area and haven't seen that yet. Maybe just a matter of time. I just found out that locatelli isn't a cheese. It's a brand name. I've been calling pecorino romano that for the longest time. Just got corrected so I guess others didn't know that either.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #140,547 of 152,752
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #140,548 of 152,752

I have yet to pull the trigger on naturally aged/fermented soy sauce, but that day will arrive as soon as life slows down enough for me to take the time to prepare and enjoy meals worthy of such an experience...

My life now consists of providing home daycare for 2 energetic small children, working a 50+ hour a week job, caring for three kids & a dog, helping my wife navigate the physical & mental challenges of cancer, anxiety and depression, cooking, cleaning, house maintenance, and some civic/community responsibilities.

Life leaves little time for relaxing endeavors. I try took to cook real, healthy, meals as much as I can, but speed, quality, value are the focus these days.

Such is life.

Thank god music is compatible with a desk job and much of this life. Schiit, this thread, and the friends made through here are life savers.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #140,549 of 152,752
I know you have a different B & W speaker, but one that uses the Diamond tweeter. They have a reputation of needing to be fed a clean top end due to their revelatory nature, thus I find your perspective of value in regards to their sound with Schiit DACs. :smiley_cat:
Yes, and they are (as you state) "revelatory" - good word methinks. Even after very careful setup - toe-in is super critical - they will not make a bad recording EVER sound good. I am glad to be of value here, US Blues. Can I get you to talk with my boss? <g>

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #140,550 of 152,752
Sans sugar…

IMG_9280.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back