Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #134,431 of 149,513
Welcome to the thread. :) When I got my first Schiit about 10 years ago the arthritis wasn't as bad.

Since then I've sold a lot of my astronomy stuff. C-11 on a Losmandy mount on an 8" aluminum pier I built. All my camera gear is gone. Still have my Genesis, way toooo many Naglers, (come to think of it just now my 13mm I think is the first one he made in the Nagler series pre eye cup and grip) 16" Dobsonian....oh well.....

Here's the thing, hope you have a cat! :)
Haha…

Well, um,,,. Here’s MY thihng…. No cats (though have in previous like, my cat Ffloyd was with us for 19 years; guess how she was named?)…

But we DO have the worlds cutest dog… one look into his love-lasers, and he assumes you into his pack forever… :wink: (i.e. if’n I’d a had him when I was in High School, I would have pwned the best looking girls, no problem…

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #134,432 of 149,513
But we DO have the worlds cutest dog…
At last, another wise one that chose to own their pet (dog) as opposed to being a servant to their feline overlord (cat). He figured it out -- you others can as well. It's not too late. :wink:

** I know all about this, having been a servant to 2 cats before I wised up and chose pet ownership over thankless servitude.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #134,433 of 149,513
Haha…

Well, um,,,. Here’s MY thihng…. No cats (though have in previous like, my cat Ffloyd was with us for 19 years; guess how she was named?)…

But we DO have the worlds cutest dog… one look into his love-lasers, and he assumes you into his pack forever… :wink: (i.e. if’n I’d a had him when I was in High School, I would have pwned the best looking girls, no problem…

Here he is listening to an old 1958 RCA LSC shaded dog…

Bismarck and the Rig

(I‘ll figure out pics later; Imgur link)
Nice looking pair of Duettas! Sigs, I presume? Listening to a pair of nicely set up Divas in a dealer's showroom is what set the hooks of this hobby deep into me many years ago.

Oh, and Bismarck is awful cute too. 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #134,434 of 149,513
All audio designers/ engineers are simply human and no need to idolize them or worship them.
I'm pretty sure that if one wants to do so, it is OK and welcomed. :D

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #134,435 of 149,513
As promised, I've got around to updating the SineWave(TM) with some recent topics and at the same time made a couple of tweaks to existing.
This is Version 8, and I'm happy to update to v8.1 based on any feedback from the beta test cycle on the thread. :)

Change Log :
Added : Cardboard (Finally!!!, and boldfaced for emphasis... sorry for the past omissions @bcowen )
Added : Knives & Cutting Boards
Added : Warships, Tanks and Aeroplanes
Redacted : Submarines (because @Ableza can’t confirm or deny it :wink:)
Added : Close-Outs
Added : Streaming Hardware
Updated : “Roon” to Streaming Software
Updated : Moved some elements to make room
Updated : Isolated Ground & Power Sockets to add Power Conditioning

Happy New Year to All. I've had a blast reading along and chatting with everyone.

Cheers
Tim
Thank you. This reminds me why I spend so much time trying to keep up.
Hmm. Wasn't there some yakking about electric toasters a while back?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #134,436 of 149,513
As it is the season to be merry, I thought I should return to a crucial topic on the 'sine wave'- drink :relaxed:

There have been some excellent suggestions for single malt whiskies.

I do enjoy the occasional dram, particularly from Islay malts, but my real favourite drink is good beer.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a couple of pints of my favourite beer with two old friends, at a superb pub in Skipton, North Yorkshire, where it is brewed.
The beer is 'Hetton Pale Ale' and the brewer is 'Dark Horse Brewery,
http://www.darkhorsebrewery.co.uk/our-ales.html

It is superb beer!

Best wishes to all.

Cheers :beerchug:
Ahhh! It would be a blast to share a pint or two at the Dark Horse and talk audio into the evening.

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #134,437 of 149,513
Wasn't some yakking about electric toasters a while back?
The "toaster" in question is so much more than just a toaster. It is a testament to American Engineering and harkens back to the day when toasting was an elevated art-form and toast was an integral part of the breakfasts that fueled America's greatness. :flag_um:

Vtg Sunbeam Toaster Vista Radiant Control T-40 Auto Drop Raise​

1703861221642.png

OK. I may have gotten carried away, but I'm not over-exaggerating when I say it was certainly a neat piece of engineering.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #134,438 of 149,513
The "toaster" in question is so much more than just a toaster. It is a testament to American Engineering and harkens back to the day when toasting was an elevated art-form and part of the breakfasts that fueled America's greatness. :flag_um:

Vtg Sunbeam Toaster Vista Radiant Control T-40 Auto Drop Raise​

1703860701676.png

OK. I may have gotten carried away, but I'm not over-exaggerating when I say it was certainly a neat piece of engineering.

So, you're not going to show your daily use toaster? It's not a secret, you know. 🤣

1703861097098.png

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #134,439 of 149,513
No kidding, it is one of the neatest pieces of neat engineering created yet.

And here is a neat video explaining it!

Dec 29, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #134,440 of 149,513
So, you're not going to show your daily use toaster? It's not a secret, you know. 🤣

Several factors forced me to move away from my 'daily driver' Barbie toaster...

1. One cannot really "toast" properly with 2x C cell batteries.
2. The included toast (while welcome and stood the potential to save money on groceries due to its reusable nature) proved too tough and chipped a tooth.
3. It would not automatically lower and raise the toast but instead would launch it across the room like a catapult if one was not careful.

As cute as it was, I rated it 2 stars out of 5.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #134,443 of 149,513
Please tell me that's REAL!! :D

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #134,444 of 149,513
Someone mentioned the noise floor of the environment. Note that a measured 20 ~ 30 dB in a "quiet" room is rarely broadband white noise, it is often a fridge or a heating system with a distinct (to me) sound. Also we do hear signals, at least speech, that are significantly quieter than the noise level (brains are really good at such things).
I live in a rural area with no main roads close by, no trains etc. Closest neighbour is 200 meters away. It is dead quiet around us. The measured noise floor level with no fridge compressor motor running and no wind is 37 dB* give or take. Maybe if I dampen the room with heavy rugs and acoustic panels it could go down another 2-3 dB max.
20-30 dB noise floor is very very hard, if not impossible. Maybe in the middle of Australian outback.

* Measured with Uni-T UT353 which is A weighted, has a span from 30-130 dB and is 1,5 dB accurate.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #134,445 of 149,513
Please tell me that REAL!! :D
Yep. It started as a joke by Lonnie Vaughn at Emotiva that they were working on hundreds of new products including a toaster. Dan Laughlan made it real. It was a limited production run a few years ago. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back