Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #134,401 of 151,308
A whole pair of the tube equivalent of a cheap, badly engineered Class D amp? Really hard to pass that up, but I'd hate to deprive you. šŸ¤£
Hey now... you can bias them into Class A... still sound like A$$. Could only offer a pair - from @Ripper2860's collection. But he might be hoarding more. :k701smile:

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #134,402 of 151,308
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #134,403 of 151,308
Me either, may be put the switch at the back. :)

Good idea! That way Jason can pretend it's a rear-mounted power switch even though the Sys+ will be completely passive!! :wink::grin:

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #134,404 of 151,308
Hopefully there's room since the passive gain switch will be located there as well. :smirk:

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #134,405 of 151,308
Good idea! That way Jason can pretend it's a rear-mounted power switch even though the Sys+ will be completely passive!! :wink::grin:
Passive, then no power required, a multi pole/throw switch will bring the price up to $199.... :)

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #134,406 of 151,308
Hopefully there's room since the passive gain switch will be located there as well. :smirk:

Jason can make it, if he decided to produce it.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #134,407 of 151,308
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #134,408 of 151,308
Real quick ask: As I'm looking more and more to remove myself from the Spotify ecosystem completely at some point (currently just listen at work on a large Bluetooth speaker or podcasts at home), where do you all listen to your podcasts from?
It's December 28 in the real world but in my Head-Fi world it's only December 12. So appologies for the post from what would be to many of you a two week old post.
It's not for everybody but I haven't found a podcast yet, that I was interested in, that I couldn't find the base RSS feed. Sometimes you have to hunt around. Search for the podcast name and RSS. It seems I might also have had to add a plugin to my Firefox to render RSS feeds in a readable format in the browser.
Once you have the URL for the feed you can add it to pretty much any podcast app. I use gPodder under linux and Antenna Pod under android (fdroid repository but probably in google plague)

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #134,409 of 151,308
Many things Apple does are just weird.
As a friend of mine once said, or was it is father... or maybe it was just me...
If something doesn't make sense it's probably because there is something you don't understand.
Translation: If apple is doing things that don't make sense, they are probably doing it to serve goals that are not apparent to you. Not just because they are incompetent.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #134,410 of 151,308
As promised, I've got around to updating the SineWave(TM) with some recent topics and at the same time made a couple of tweaks to existing.
This is Version 8, and I'm happy to update to v8.1 based on any feedback from the beta test cycle on the thread. :)

Schiit Sine v8 2023-12-29.png

Change Log :
Added : Cardboard (Finally!!!, and boldfaced for emphasis... sorry for the past omissions @bcowen )
Added : Knives & Cutting Boards
Added : Warships, Tanks and Aeroplanes
Redacted : Submarines (because @Ableza canā€™t confirm or deny it :wink:)
Added : Close-Outs
Added : Streaming Hardware
Updated : ā€œRoonā€ to Streaming Software
Updated : Moved some elements to make room
Updated : Isolated Ground & Power Sockets to add Power Conditioning

Happy New Year to All. I've had a blast reading along and chatting with everyone.

Cheers
Tim

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #134,411 of 151,308
... If apple is doing things that don't make sense, they are probably doing it to serve goals that are not apparent to you. Not just because they are incompetent.
One thing about Apple that naysayers do not acknowledge is that Apple, for whatever reason, often gets to a place before other companies realize such a place even exists. Maybe, those places aren't worth going to, either; otoh, how does one know without trying?
Some examples off the top of my head:
  • Apple Desktop Bus (universal serial bus in 1986 before USB some 20y later?)
  • Ethernet on their machines (who needs 5Mb/s networking in the 80s that aren't mainframes?)
  • Bitmap display (only in research labs when Apple "popularized" them)
  • personal digital assistants (aforementioned Newton)
  • touchscreen cell-phones.
  • lots more examples.
Now, did they invent all that stuff? Probably not. Did they invent some of it? Probably.

One thing I like about Schiit is that it has some of that DNA. Do they invent everything they put into a product? Probably not.
Did they take a high end audio tech, R2R, and bring it to the masses. Schiit yeah!
Did they invent some of that tech. Darn tootin!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #134,412 of 151,308
As promised, I've got around to updating the SineWave(TM) with some recent topics and at the same time made a couple of tweaks to existing.
This is Version 8, and I'm happy to update to v8.1 based on any feedback from the beta test cycle on the thread. :)

Schiit Sine v8 2023-12-29.png

Change Log :
Added : Cardboard (Finally!!!, and boldfaced for emphasis... sorry for the past omissions @bcowen )
Added : Knives & Cutting Boards
Added : Warships, Tanks and Aeroplanes
Redacted : Submarines (because @Ableza canā€™t confirm or deny it :wink:)
Added : Close-Outs
Added : Streaming Hardware
Updated : ā€œRoonā€ to Streaming Software
Updated : Moved some elements to make room
Updated : Isolated Ground & Power Sockets to add Power Conditioning

Happy New Year to All. I've had a blast reading along and chatting with everyone.

Cheers
Tim
Brilliant as always

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #134,413 of 151,308
On that last part, attenuation / volume control, I still have my question about the TVC, the Transformer Volume Control. Is it better?
https://www.sowter.co.uk/transformer-attenuators.php
The primary obstacle for transformer volume controls must be cost. The one you linked is for only a single channel and costs Ā£185.33 (currently $235 USD), and each of the 24 taps still need to be wired into a quality selector switch. Double that for a stereo setup (dual mono). As I understand, a large part of the cost is that each attenuation tap must be individually calibrated. I see TVC passive preamps starting at $650 in kit form and running up to many thousands (for a passive preamp ā€“ just an input selector and volume control attenuator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back