Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #134,446 of 151,432
I surmise you do not own a Schiit preamp with 128 0.6dB volume steps.
Plus 0/12dB switchable gain--total range 92dB.

It'd be easy to do more steps, and wider range, but one of our most typical comments is about "too much range" and "having to be high on the volume control" by people used to pots. There's 40dB more available at noon, not 10dB like many volume pots. People aren't used to that. I've considered skipping steps or going to fake log, the comments are that prevalent. But the right way to do it is how we're doing it.
We may be getting into semantics, but my understanding is that what's called a digital amp is typically a class D device that translates the incoming PCM into either pulse width modulation or pulse density modulation in the digital domain, and basically has one stage in the analog domain.
Everything that goes to the speaker is analog. Even if it is a Class D approximation, linearized by feedback, smoothed by an output filter.

You can argue about DSP vs analog processing, but in the end, everything you hear is analog. Your ears aren't digital.

The primary obstacle for transformer volume controls must be cost. The one you linked is for only a single channel and costs £185.33 (currently $235 USD), and each of the 24 taps still need to be wired into a quality selector switch. Double that for a stereo setup (dual mono). As I understand, a large part of the cost is that each attenuation tap must be individually calibrated. I see TVC passive preamps starting at $650 in kit form and running up to many thousands (for a passive preamp – just an input selector and volume control attenuator).
I personally wouldn't want an autoformer in the signal path—I'd prefer not to have the possible magnetic field sensitivity and reactive load. Heck, I really wouldn't want to worry about the frequency response of my volume control. That's super weird. But so am I, and maybe I'm crazy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #134,447 of 151,432
As it is the season to be merry, I thought I should return to a crucial topic on the 'sine wave'- drink :relaxed:

There have been some excellent suggestions for single malt whiskies.

I do enjoy the occasional dram, particularly from Islay malts, but my real favourite drink is good beer.

Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to enjoy a couple of pints of my favourite beer with two old friends, at a superb pub in Skipton, North Yorkshire, where it is brewed.
The beer is 'Hetton Pale Ale' and the brewer is 'Dark Horse Brewery,
http://www.darkhorsebrewery.co.uk/our-ales.html

It is superb beer!

Unlike many on this forum, I haven't bought any new Schiit gear for Christmas.
I have treated myself to a new MC cartridge for my Technics SL1200G turntable though- an Audio Technica ART 20, which is fantastic!

Anyway, that is way off topic..

The other excellent, non-audio device, which I bought recently is a gadget for pouring very good draught Guinness in your own home.

About 30 years ago, Guinness invented the 'widget' ( and patented it.)
This was a device which released nitrogen gas in a can of 'draught' Guinness when the tab was pulled.
It meant that you could enjoy a Guinness which had a pretty good head on it and this clever idea revolutionised canned beer.

Guinness has moved things on with its latest development called 'Nitrosurge'.

This small battery-powered device uses ultrasound to agitate Nitrogen in special 'Nitrosurge' cans of Guinness which contain 1 pint of the black stuff.

The device costs about £25 here in the UK. I am not sure if it is available in the US.

It produces a pint of Guinness which gets remarkably close to what you'd expect in a pub; it's not as good as the very best in Ireland, but I've had far worse in pubs!

This is the device.
https://nitrosurge.guinness.com/en-gb/

For any Guinness lovers, I recommend it!

Best wishes to all.

Cheers :beerchug:
Damn! Where has this been all my life?

I hope it comes to Canada

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #134,448 of 151,432
Wonderful morning of listening....contrasting the Piety with MB2 and Midgard with Modius E.
ZMF VC cans...

Lovely stunning sound here!
Happy New Year to All!

1703866284465.png

My HP 27" AIO died a sudden death after 5 years and a Dell 27" AIO replaced it....getting used to W11 and its sonic mysteries..so far so good...dont u love it when a pc dies and its like starting all over again!!

Alex

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #134,451 of 151,432

It'd be easy to do more steps, and wider range, but one of our most typical comments is about "too much range" and "having to be high on the volume control" by people used to pots. There's 40dB more available at noon, not 10dB like many volume pots. People aren't used to that. I've considered skipping steps or going to fake log, the comments are that prevalent. But the right way to do it is how we're doing it.
I fully agree with you, please keep doing what you're doing.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #134,452 of 151,432
Don't worry, if I do something with our own Asgard it'll be something more like Mjolnir 3. But we'll see--no timeline for that yet. Also I'm not sure how people might feel about an Asgard that costs the same or more than Jotunheim.
Hmmm....

2024?

A new Vahalla 3, yummy.

If the updated Asgard has the same or similar characteristics as a MJ3 at a much lower cost...whats not to like?
The issue you have to deal with is the plethora of amps, price points etc...

And explaining to the masses the logic of all this...which you do very well in your chapters!

Cant wait to see what 2024 will bring, start saving now!!

:>)
Alex

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #134,453 of 151,432
Hmmm....

2024?

A new Vahalla 3, yummy.

If the updated Asgard has the same or similar characteristics as a MJ3 at a much lower cost...whats not to like?
The issue you have to deal with is the plethora of amps, price points etc...

And explaining to the masses the logic of all this...which you do very well in your chapters!

Cant wait to see what 2024 will bring, start saving now!!

:>)
Alex
If there is an Asgard 4 which is MJ3 alike but SE and cost $499, still acceptable. :)
Could be no space for DAC module or too hot inside, but please add one more input.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #134,454 of 151,432
Everything that goes to the speaker is analog. Even if it is a Class D approximation, linearized by feedback, smoothed by an output filter.

You can argue about DSP vs analog processing, but in the end, everything you hear is analog. Your ears aren't digital.
Yes, as I mentioned, and as the description of the product I linked to mentioned, there is an analog stage, even in the so called "digital" amps. I understand that my ears aren't digital 🙂

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #134,456 of 151,432
Yes, as I mentioned, and as the description of the product I linked to mentioned, there is an analog stage, even in the so called "digital" amps. I understand that my ears aren't digital 🙂
Yes, indeed, from recording the sound source to the drivers of headphones or speakers, it is analog.

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #134,457 of 151,432
$499 is a very great price point....guess we shall see what the Schiit magic might be here...
The Asgard 3 already cost $279, we offer a bit headroom of pricing for Jason. :) you know, inflation....

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #134,458 of 151,432

Keep doing it the right way Jason, please and thank you! I'd be tempted to suggest to those who complain to replace the knob with one that doesn't have a mark, so they can't tell that it's past 12 o'clock.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #134,460 of 151,432
Keep doing it the right way Jason, please and thank you! I'd be tempted to suggest to those who complain to replace the knob with one that doesn't have a mark, so they can't tell that it's past 12 o'clock.
Good idea !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back