Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #89,881 of 153,069
As of today I am officially retired. I should be able to get the Member of the Trade removed from my name. I can either contact the Mods to inform them or cause enough trouble that they find me.😎

Congrats! I still have 40 or so years to go until retirement according to current projections. Heck, I’m still part of my industry’s young generation for another five years, until I turn 38.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #89,882 of 153,069
Congrats! I still have 40 or so years to go until retirement according to current projections. Heck, I’m still part of my industry’s young generation for another five years, until I turn 38.
I still have several sources of income so I will still be busy with other ventures but, I can sleep late and work as I wish. I love the idea of never having to do another resume. :beerchug: Today I hope to hook up a Bifrost to a NAD amp and see how it sounds with an extra pair of speakers I own, I will choose between Definitive Technology and Martin Logan speakers to gift with the system.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #89,884 of 153,069
Congrats and well-earned, Tom. Sounds like you have a plan which is an important thing. It seems like just yesterday when I first "met" you here on Head-Fi, although it's been almost 10 years ... how time flies. Have fun organizing the house etc. to fit your new lifestyle - a ton of fun. Best wishes -
Thanks so much RCB, You are among the many great people on this thread and it has always been a pleasure talking to you. I have no doubt you will be rooting for Purdue tomorrow night. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #89,885 of 153,069

One for the granddaughter and now one for the grandson.
Out of my price range. But then there's this from the same distillery, but more affordable:

saz-rye-desktop-bottle.png

EDIT: my bad, I confused the original poster with Pappy Van Winkle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappy_Van_Winkle's_Family_Reserve

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #89,886 of 153,069
Out of my price range. But then there's this from the same distillery, but more affordable:

saz-rye-desktop-bottle.png
I may well have some of that heading my way from a gentleman on here. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #89,887 of 153,069
Thanks so much RCB, You are among the many great people on this thread and it has always been a pleasure talking to you. I have no doubt you will be rooting for Purdue tomorrow night. :ksc75smile:
Yep...many great people on this thread with @RCBinTN being a prime example! :beerchug:

That said, we each have our flaws. Clearly RCB's is his addiction to Boilermakers

Go Blue! (pretty sure I'll be the miserable one once these two games play out) :wink:

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #89,888 of 153,069
Congratulations on your retirement, I'm sure you have earned it. One of the things I foolishly thought when I retired would be to ratchet down my new music purchases and be happy with the several thousand CD titles I owned at the time... that did not happen. I am purchasing more new music (to me) than I ever did when I was working and am enjoying it more. I now have the time to perform crate digging at some of my favorite record stores and freely admit to being a Discogs / Bandcamp addict. I also have the time to watch the physical DVD / Bluray cinema titles I had and still collect. When I traveled for business, I navigated unfamiliar cities by where record stores I was interested in were located. Attending live music performances again are really putting a smile on my face. I missed far too many cool shows because "I had to work the day after". I wish you the best in whatever endeavors put a smile on your face. That is what retirement is about. Like Mr. Young once said; "I might retire but I won't retread."
I got retired back in early 2009 with the economy in bad shape. Realized I didn't have to go back to work and had so much more time to devote to hobbies; golf, fishing, computer flight simming and live concerts. I had reduced my audio hobby and it's hardware to close to zero in 2004 when I did my first downsize move but hung on to all my video and flight sim stuff and and was busy enjoying my active outdoor activities I liked. In 2016 I had enough spare time and was slowing down on the outdoor stuff (as friends passed on and my aging slowed things down) and got back into audio in an excessive way (LOL!). Over the upcoming year I'll be downsizing again and reducing audio significantly to primarily a headphone or 2 only as I will be moving to a retirement community and a one floor residence. I'm scheduled to get both knees totally replaced this year and to get the most mileage out of the new metal I will depart my 3 floor condo for a 1 floor abode, but will be reducing my living space by 50% and thus will be selling off most of my audio gear over the next year when my lease here is up.

But it was a fun run with audio again which has been my passion since I got out of the army in 1970 and built my first Dynakits. My involvement in audio will be very modest going forward.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #89,889 of 153,069
No doubt - and the fact they're playing Texas has nothing to do with it :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #89,890 of 153,069
No doubt - and the fact they're playing Texas has nothing to do with it :)
Oops, my bad ... they already beat Texas (sorry, Ripper). I don't follow basketball, only golf.

Yep...many great people on this thread with @RCBinTN being a prime example! :beerchug:

That said, we each have our flaws. Clearly RCB's is his addiction to Boilermakers

Go Blue! (pretty sure I'll be the miserable one once these two games play out) :wink:
Thanks, mate. We've come a long way in 10 years. For example, I finally found an amp that would drive the HD800 ... that took five years in itself.

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #89,891 of 153,069
Oops, my bad ... they already beat Texas (sorry, Ripper). I don't follow basketball, only golf.
That's OK. I lost interest after Baylor lost to UNC. :unamused:

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #89,892 of 153,069
<< snip snip>> but will be reducing my living space by 50% and thus will be selling off most of my audio gear over the next year when my lease here is up.

But it was a fun run with audio again which has been my passion since I got out of the army in 1970 and built my first Dynakits. My involvement in audio will be very modest going forward.

Keep a small footprint set of audio hardware you really like, and get/keep Qobuz. (And probably Roon. The Roon Nucleus is a "put on shelf and just forget about it" piece of gear. It just works.).

It's really all about the MUSIC. No reason to scale back on that, it's one of life's great joys.

Mar 24, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #89,893 of 153,069
My wife is busy making dog bowls as I repair an audio card in my main computer. @bcowen is probably staring at the tubes in the background but those are um empty boxes, yeah that’s it.😜BBDDB734-E863-4F25-9DB2-7CD4C19D96E7.jpeg

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #89,894 of 153,069
Yup. Had one of those (maybe a couple?) Manuals used to nice. Now it's a small sheet of paper with impossible to understand pictograms and a internet search to find out the real information from those who can read pictograms. (do they learn that at school now?)

Schiit Manuals are an exception. Written words and concise, relevant information.
Braun manuals for electric shavers are notorious for this. I had to resort to customer service email several times to get questions answered when they could've just written it out in the manuals.

Mar 24, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #89,895 of 153,069
Ordered a Fulla E from Amazon the other day since the HEL 2 died and had to go back to the mothership and I needed something to be able to make calls with etc... I know Amazon is looked down upon here, but it ended up being less than direct with 2 day shipping and showed up in the same amount of time.

So far Fulla E seems to be a good little fill in and it will be nice to have a fall back device if it happens again since this is the 2nd HEL I've had fail, the first was a HEL 1 that lasted a little over a year, HEL 2 didn't quite make it to a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back