Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #89,911 of 155,165
A man such as your self should be easy to find but the truth is they are rare. I say to you in truth the world could use more like you. You are a good man and that being not only here but beyond this place, which is to say the real world. Please give my best to your family.

It pays to treat people well. My wife and I were in a Mexican restaurant years ago and a young Hispanic family was in the booth behind us and their kids started getting rowdy. The parents immediately had them sit and behave and not disturb us. On the way out I pulled the manager aside and paid for their meal. Each time we visited after that there was a pitcher of margaritas waiting on us as we sat down. The manager and a young waitress even performed Cielito Lindo for us as we dined one evening.😉

Mar 24, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #89,912 of 155,165
Just bought a pair of DW IIs from Zu. Gentlly used, full warrantee in black hickory. And here I thought I had missed out on DWs. Just happened to look at their ready to ship pile and there they were, waiting just for me. Now I suppose I will need to upgrade from a Vidar to an Aegir.

For sure a great combination. I am enjoying my Zu DW2s and the Aegir even as I type. Lovely match! I am sure the Vidar will sound great too though!

Mar 25, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #89,916 of 155,165
My Vidar can follow my old speakers into the other room I think. The real question is, will the wife notice the change?
The mere fact that you believe that this will work leads me to believe that you will have a difficult future

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #89,917 of 155,165
The mere fact that you believe that this will work leads me to believe that you will have a difficult future
That is why black is so good! Put it in the dark of course :wink:

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #89,918 of 155,165
Congratulations Tom! Enjoy your hard earned freedom.

I'm getting close but I don't think I can avoid boredom yet so I will probably just cut to 4 days a week, then 3 and see how that goes.
I cut down to four days a week but still employees would ask questions on the fifth day so I could get busy even then.😃 I am rarely bored, I will be busy with the stock market, rental property, book clubs, an audio group, etc. I have also promised to do woodworking and amp building for family and friends but rarely had the time.

Mar 25, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #89,919 of 155,165
Just bought a pair of DW IIs from Zu. Gentlly used, full warrantee in black hickory. And here I thought I had missed out on DWs. Just happened to look at their ready to ship pile and there they were, waiting just for me. Now I suppose I will need to upgrade from a Vidar to an Aegir.
Congratulations! These are great speakers and they love the Aegir amp. Enjoy!

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #89,920 of 155,165
My wife is busy making dog bowls as I repair an audio card in my main computer. @bcowen is probably staring at the tubes in the background but those are um empty boxes, yeah that’s it.😜BBDDB734-E863-4F25-9DB2-7CD4C19D96E7.jpeg
Wait, what? DOG bowls? Not cat bowls? In YOUR household? Such sacrilege! 😳

Mar 25, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #89,921 of 155,165
Wait, what? DOG bowls? Not cat bowls? In YOUR household? Such sacrilege! 😳
We have a small dog. He doubles as a pillow.😉 B4C8B1D9-1326-4572-ABFB-AFFA295D09D6.jpeg

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #89,922 of 155,165
D563E6B0-B5F6-4192-9770-9BD14CB60D20.jpeg

Something Schiit related.

Thanks to some tests done by @sam6550a and his kind loan of a couple Lisst devices, I am trying them in an amp that is obviously not a Schiit product. :ksc75smile: Power tube is a Tung Sol 5998, one of my favorites. Obviously it works; I am impressed by the bass upon first listen, mids are decent, high mids I will have to think about. I need to try some of my audio tests before I say more but this is a well made device that I would certainly buy for comparison purposes if nothing else. I am using a Gungnir source and Focal Utopia headphones. Later I will use the preamp out into a Cary tube amp and possibly a power amp of my own design.

Current listen is a Wild Night cover done by Mellencamp.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #89,923 of 155,165

I would highly recommend that you enjoy the Zu's with your Vidar for a while before buying the Aegir. This will allow you to fully appreciate the Zu before you go to Aegir, and then gain even more appreciation for the combo.

I would also recommend that you buy the snubbers (ohm reducers). Using them with Vidar really opened up the speakers, and I think improved their efficiency.

This claim is based on perceived volume level when Saga or Ragnarok are turned all the way down. Its not a mute. The Zus play louder at 0 volume with the snubbers vs without.

Mar 25, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #89,924 of 155,165
My Vidar can follow my old speakers into the other room I think. The real question is, will the wife notice the change?
If she sees the standby button on the front panel, all bets are off... :)

Mar 25, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #89,925 of 155,165
D563E6B0-B5F6-4192-9770-9BD14CB60D20.jpeg

Something Schiit related.

Thanks to some tests done by @sam6550a and his kind loan of a couple Lisst devices, I am trying them in an amp that is obviously not a Schiit product. :ksc75smile: Power tube is a Tung Sol 5998, one of my favorites. Obviously it works; I am impressed by the bass upon first listen, mids are decent, high mids I will have to think about. I need to try some of my audio tests before I say more but this is a well made device that I would certainly buy for comparison purposes if nothing else. I am using a Gungnir source and Focal Utopia headphones. Later I will use the preamp out into a Cary tube amp and possibly a power amp of my own design.

Current listen is a Wild Night cover done by Mellencamp.
Interesting - will be fun to try in the Incubus......
IMG_3346.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back