Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #89,866 of 155,166
IMG_2818.jpeg

One for the granddaughter and now one for the grandson.

Mar 24, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #89,867 of 155,166
Old Grand Dad Bonded and the Un-pictured Old Grand Dad 114 are good stuff. I have not tried the 80 proof version that you have shown here. When I think about most 80 proof bourbons, (for sipping), I get a sense of how Bill Cowen must feel about GE tubes. The exception being Four Roses. 80 proof Four Roses is very sippable, IMO.

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #89,868 of 155,166
Anybody remember this?

DOS 1point10.jpg
Yup. Had one of those (maybe a couple?) Manuals used to nice. Now it's a small sheet of paper with impossible to understand pictograms and a internet search to find out the real information from those who can read pictograms. (do they learn that at school now?)

Schiit Manuals are an exception. Written words and concise, relevant information.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #89,869 of 155,166
As of today I am officially retired. I should be able to get the Member of the Trade removed from my name. I can either contact the Mods to inform them or cause enough trouble that they find me.😎
Amazing! Enjoy and use your time! Your family and friends will be happy ... or not ... :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #89,870 of 155,166
Very well said! Last I looked I have in excess of 65,000 albums so my music additions will be to hard drive. I hope to build my dream 2 channel system and donate some things to my daughter, I will build her a rack system as well. 😊
You addicts!

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #89,871 of 155,166
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #89,872 of 155,166
You too? Damn things were the size and weight of a suitcase.
It was so cool to upgrade to the Compaq Portable III.
Dropped half the weight, had a '286 CPU. The orange plasma display was so very cool back in the day.
In the late 80s and into 91 I liked a team of developers who produced "add-on" products for an office automation suite. I was headhunted form leading a team of 70-80 folks to be a solo - but my slurry tripled.

On my desk with the team I had a terminal (ICL One-Per-Desk for you REAL historians) with email, word processing / document management fully inverted searches and photo versions of workflow and document imaging all integrated. In September 1991 I moved to Reading to work for X/Open. They tried to give me a 386 Compaq (the laptop was detachable from the 'base' - remember those?) and it was still a luggable. I objected and after a lot of backward and forward I got the very first of the 386 notebook sized machines (using elm - I think we talked about that recently - for email). IIRC these were something like UK# 6K and there were strict rules about not leaving thenm in the car. In those days I was an offshore sailor and we went of to race to France. Being a considerate soul, I took my briefcase containing my new notebook and stowed it below. It got rough. Turns out that the footwell of a Bavaria 39 is perfect to hold a notebook that has escaped the briefcase whilst seawater sloshes over it for a few hours.

That's over 30 years ago and I still have "friends" who remind me t hat I had to have two expensive notebooks in my first month at X/Open.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #89,873 of 155,166
Congratulations @Paladin79! I know you'll be missed at CFL. Enjoy the extra time you'll have on your hands!

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #89,874 of 155,166
TRS-80 for me -

Latecomer! Model IIIs were great machines. I actually started with a Commodore Pet, but went to work for Tandy / Radio Shack shortly thereafter and sold a lot of Model 1, Modell II, II, 16 and got my start on Xenix. Who knew where that would lead :wink:

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #89,875 of 155,166
Never used VisiCalc. I used to miss Lotus, but now I don't.

I still miss Wordperfect every time I have to fight MS Word to get it to do what I want instead of what it thinks I should do. I hate MS Word.
..... and the world turns full circle. We are back to tags - a la Wordpress - in modern document production with Markdown and Asciidoc.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #89,877 of 155,166
As of today I am officially retired. I should be able to get the Member of the Trade removed from my name. I can either contact the Mods to inform them or cause enough trouble that they find me.😎
Congratulations! Now, the real creative working phase of your life begins. The opportunities are infinite.

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #89,878 of 155,166
Congratulations @Paladin79! I know you'll be missed at CFL. Enjoy the extra time you'll have on your hands!
Thanks Roy, I was not even out of bed and my wife was asking what I was going to do today. Alas, the work around the house begins. I do have plans of freeing up more space for audio equipment, I do still have some priorities. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #89,879 of 155,166
Yup. Had one of those (maybe a couple?) Manuals used to nice. Now it's a small sheet of paper with impossible to understand pictograms and a internet search to find out the real information from those who can read pictograms. (do they learn that at school now?)

Schiit Manuals are an exception. Written words and concise, relevant information.
A word is worth a thousand pictures.

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #89,880 of 155,166
Congrats and well-earned, Tom. Sounds like you have a plan which is an important thing. It seems like just yesterday when I first "met" you here on Head-Fi, although it's been almost 10 years ... how time flies. Have fun organizing the house etc. to fit your new lifestyle - a ton of fun. Best wishes -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back